It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Iran cutting the Internet Cables?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Most of what I'm seeing on this subject assumes it is the US or possibly Israel or both in tandem. It seems to me if the US were involved they would cut the cables all at once and attack immediately. It makes more sense to me that this is a ploy by Iran to stir up mischief.

Iran does have the capability.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Iran announced that it launched its second domestically produced submarine, equipped with an anti-sonar system that they claim is completely undetectable to sonar.

LINK

"This submarine is equipped with advanced weapons and electronics systems. It has been developed in the last decade by [Iranian] scientists and engineers," a TV program quoted Navy commander, Admiral Habib Sayyari, as saying....
... In a separate development, Iran, which received no invitation to the Mideast peace conference in Annapolis, announced on Tuesday that it had produced a ballistic missile with a range of 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles). The missile's range would allow it to reach Israel, as well as United States military bases in the Middle East.

LINK

The diesel submarine is the last of three Russian models purchased as part of a program by Iran to modernize its naval forces.

''It's not like we're not concerned, because if they were used they could create havoc,'' the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said on Monday. ''Iran could use the submarines for attacks on tankers or for mine-laying operations.''

It seems to me that if these cuts are part of a plan that Iran would be the main suspect. If I lived in Israel I'd be very concerned right now. The fact that Iran makes the claim it is "completely undetectable to sonar" reinforces this idea. Add that to fact of their advances in missiles and we have a scenario to make me at least suspect this could be true.

If they were the ones doing this and they have been undetected up till now, there should be a lot of worried people in that part of the world.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I've been giving this some thought lately also. What if the intent behind damaging the cables was not to keep info from getting out, but to keep "intruders" out. Destroying the bridge to the farm so to speak.

Think about it, if you were having trouble keeping certain intelligence agencies out of your domain through conventional methods (firewalls, etc.), would it not make sense to simply cut the hard-line? At the very minimum, this would force would-be intruders to gain access via an alternate route, presumably one that's easier to defend.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yet another thing that applies. It seems they also are incorporating Mini-Subs into their arsenal. The perfect device for this.

Link to story.

DEBKAfile’s military sources report the Iranian Navy is in the process of deploying two submarine fleets – mini-subs in PersianPersian GulfGulf waters for attacks on US shipping and Gulf oil facilities, and the long-range Kilo class sub of Russian, Chinese and home manufacture, for long-range targets in the Mediterranean, such as the US Sixth Fleet and Israel coastal towns, primarily Tel Aviv....

... military sources note that Iran’s strategic thinking has undergone a change. Hitherto, the rulers of Tehran viewed the blockage of the narrow waterway to shipping that carries one-third of the world’s oil needs, as its most effective reprisal for a military attack. They have revised their thinking for two reasons: First, Iran has made great strides in expanding its influence in Gulf oil states and an assault on their sole source of revenue would win more enemies than friends.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

One of many reasons I could envision. It could also be a simple test of their capabilities in preparation for a possible action. If they want to know the true capabilities of their Subs and if they can be detected; how better to do it?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
They seem to have been developing this direction for some time now. Even without Nuclear Weapons these Subs make them extremely dangerous to the region and their enemies.

Link

Ewen MacAskill – The Guardian Monday August 28, 2006

Iran test-fired a long-range missile from a submarine in the Persian Gulf yesterday.

Iranian state television carried a video clip showing the missile being launched and hitting a target.

The show of military strength came less than 24 hours after the Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, formally opened a heavy water plant.

An Iranian navy commander, Sajjad Kouchaki, quoted on the broadcast, described the missile as Iranian-built, "with a very high speed and destructive power. It is also radar-evading."

[edit on 2/6/2008 by Blaine91555]

top topics

join