It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Euros Accepted" signs now popping up in NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

"Euros Accepted" signs now popping up in NY

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.

"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.

The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
LOL! How soon till we see the introduction of the Amero currency? Since the dollar is in worthless anymore, maybe we can convert over to pesos as our new currency.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I wonder if rappers will also start using 'Euro Euro bill, y'all' instead of 'Dolla Dolla bill y'all'. I know that some celebrities and fashion models are already asking for payment in Euros.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
When business start resorting to accepting the euro its not a good sign.
If businesses bail on the dollar how are we going to save it?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It's not a wonderful sign, but for decades there have been places in every -major- city I've been to around that world that have accepted dollars and sometimes British pounds also.

The thing is you've got a pretty new currency - the euro - that's now used by lots of people from wealthy western countries. Since it's used by so many people it makes it easier to accept than say, "lira accepted" or "guilders accepted" or "marks accepted" or whatever currencies were used before the euro.

It's a great time for foreigners to travel in the US, that's for sure, but accepting euros in NYC is much different than accepting them someplace in Nebraska... or something...

apc

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Is jus' biznis, you know what I'm sayin'?

If I'm a tourist walking around NY and I've got Euros in my pocket but am out of Dollars, I'd be more likely to shop at a store that accepts Euros.

It's the same situation in Mexico with the Dollar. I can spend FRNs just about anywhere south of the border. Shop keepers know if you walk in, find something you want but have to go to an exchange and then come back, there's a good chance you won't come back.

top topics

join