It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sphinx age 15,000-10,000 BCE ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The question is: what caused the erosion of the body?

There are two possible causes:

Possible weathering by wind and sand.
Since the body of the Sphinx is located in a hollow, it takes less than twenty years to fill the hollow and cover the body totally. The Sphinx has been covered, for most of its time, by sand since the time it was created thousands of years ago. Therefore the Sphinx was not subject to weathering exposure to wind and sand, instead it was actually protected from such natural elements. Additionally, the concave shape of the corrugation cannot be the result of wind and sand storms.

Possible water erosion.
Most scholars have resigned themselves to the fact that the water caused the erosion to the body of the Sphinx. Geologists agree that Egypt was subject to severe flooding, at the end of the last Ice Age, c. 15,000-10,000 BCE.

So, if the erosion was caused by water, the Sphinx must have been carved before Egypt was under water i.e. more than 12,000 years ago. This, in turn, is too radical for scholars to swallow, as they prefer not to change their theory that Khafra (Chephren) built the Sphinx. As a result, those unfamiliar with scientific principles, suggested that the ground water, and not direct flooding, caused such erosion.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I really think it was sand erosion. We're learning about the types of erosion in science now. I dont think it could have been when it was underwater because even if it was built before it was under water the water would have to have energy of motion. So in all, i think it was the sand.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
No, if you look at it, it doesn't take a geologist to see that the erosion and cracks were caused by water from above...i.e. rain, and dripping. Just look at the size of the head. It's easy to see that it could have at one time been a lion head, and that it was carved down to resemble the first pharoah who ordered it (then changed by some subsequent pharoahs...)

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
All agreed, the sphinx is quite old but and most that are open minded can see this but then how old is the pyramids?

top topics

join