It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think there is a sense of wanting bad things to happen in order to prove a conspiratol point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The whole conspiracy thing is odd in the sense that you don't want to be right. As much as a read about politics and all the possible problems, a part of me deeply wishes it wasn't true. Maybe it's easier to think we're all a bit crazy than to assume the world is messed up. To forget the greed and corruption of man and assume everything will be ok. But we all know what assumptions do...

I don't like that part of me wants the conspiracy occur. Maybe to validate my own points and thoughts. To prove to others that life isn't so easy, that there isn't always a good and bad side. Maybe for some peace of mind, as odd as it sounds. I like to think I do my best to avoid pointless conjecture or fantasies. But one can never be sure. That's the problem with fantasy

Sometimes it seems like something really horrible needs to happen in order to open everyone's eyes. Apparently 9/11 wasn't enough. But what if another 9/11 occurs, would that be enough? Had the precedent of peace before 9/11 clouded our judgment? Has the threat of terrorism done that now? I just hate that the proof to many of these conspiracies is inherently negative. Sometimes I'm not sure how to deal with that, or what to think about it. Just wondering if others had thought the same. Thanks for reading this.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Nah, the human race is so messed up and bad things happen all the time without our 'wanting' for them.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Some folks would definitely like to see something really bad happen to prove their point so they could look like a genius, not a kook, and they can gloat and say, "I told you so!" Of course, they don't understand that at that point they would just be a kook who happened to get something right for a change, but...

There is also kind of an analogy to be made between the entertainment value of conspiracy theorizing and watching a stock car race. People don't necessarily go to a stock car race to see the cars crash and the drivers get killed in huge flaming balls of death. But if a car happens to crash and the driver gets fried, well, that is admittedly more entertaining than a dull race where nothing happens except a bunch of cars go around in a circle for hours.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Good points.

I'm relatively young, but I've been learning to fight the feeling of being special or having a place. Not to say I lack confidence, but I understand nothing in this life is owed to me. I am what I am. That being said, I think personal satisfaction and the "i told you so" factor do play a big part. I'd really like to fight against this.

Same goes for your racing analogy. I think you're absolutely correct that we may not go in wanting to see a crash, but if we see one it's the first thing we remember and talk about. How exciting would the government be if they always did the right thing?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

I don't think it's a matter of wanting things to happen to prove your point, i think it's a matter of wanting something to happen to help people realise that something is wrong with the world.

I don't think anyone on ATS wants the end of the world. Most ATS's want people to wake up before it's too late.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Love the stock car race analogy Nohup.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dingleberry77
reply to post by Parabol

I don't think it's a matter of wanting things to happen to prove your point, i think it's a matter of wanting something to happen to help people realise that something is wrong with the world.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I started this thread as a response to a conversation with my father. If I could somehow allow him into my brain to see everything I've read and learned I would love it. I just want my friends and family to open their eyes a bit more to the world around them.

The big concern would be someone creating something negative, through a perceived positive intention. For example, what if a big Ron Paul supporter was crazy enough to make a martyr of him. They felt that was the only way to solidify his message and maybe make people think there was a conspiracy to kill him. I hope no one would go to those extremes but humans are an odd bunch.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

You are wise beyond your years.
The only ideas available are human. The glass is half full of empty and a few tomatoes shy of a thick plain sauce. Crash and burn is a spectator sport of those who can't or won't risk. Vicarious expression of a lacking in one's penchance for the loss, humiliation and injury of another.

It is quite another matter to choose to participate as you are - aware. Most hopeful thread all day. Thanx Parabol,

Vic

[edit on 5-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm going to be 45 in 14 days. Been around the block a few times. I can tell you right now this world is going to hell in a handbag, and has been for years.

new topics

top topics

join