It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA Plans to Cut Artist Royalties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

RIAA Plans to Cut Artist Royalties

uk.gear.ign.com

US, February 5, 2008 - The rather loathed RIAA, most recently infamous for pressuring Congress to pass the PRO-IP Act, has now turned its unwanted attention upon the very people the group ostensibly exists to protect. According to The Hollywood Reporter, The RIAA is now pressing to lower the royalty payments made to musicians and artists for music tracks sold via digital distribution. Though the actual artists who make the music are presently entitled to just 13% of wholesale, the RIAA thinks they should receive only 9%.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Not only is this organisation trying to clamp down on downloaders claiming that they are destroying record sales (although this has yet to be proven imho ) they are now attacking the very people who pay their wages, is it any suprise bands such as Radiohead have left major record labels and organised independent distribution?

uk.gear.ign.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Greedy bstards!Biting the hand that feeds them

Hope it rebunds on them!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This is the last gasp of a corrupt industry who unable to stay in step with the times and the MEDIUM (CD's / Digital) that they forced down our throats as a profit scheme.

This will just hasten the end IMHO. With the proliferation of the net. many groups who would otherwise have stayed in the gargage have access to huge audiences.

With legal download sites like I tunes, no one has to buy and entire overpriced CD just to get the one song you want and there goes even more profit.

The final nail in the coffin IMHO comes from the Eagles. From my understanding they released thier album exclusivly through WalMart without going through any record company thus cutting out the middleman and more of the money goes to where it belongs... to the artist.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think the record industry is in huge trouble. They are no longer needed, before too long musicians will no longer bind themselves to these greedy idiots, and we will see a new paradigm of people downloading music, and artists selling concert tickets.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
My best friend plays in an upcoming European band. He will not be amused by this news...

I hope the artists soon find a way of publishing themselves so they can rid themselves of those greedy backpadders.
Once met one of those EMI guys... he was an arrogant bastard.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
it's time for the artists to start promoting themselves on the net so they can be the ones who decide who gets paid what instead of some entity that doesn't even play a note.

good vid.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-2-2008 by howie0]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
This is the last gasp of a corrupt industry who unable to stay in step with the times and the MEDIUM (CD's / Digital) that they forced down our throats as a profit scheme.

Have to agree not only has this industry fleeced their customers for years (especially those in Europe who's prices tend to be significantly higher than in the US) but they also make one country wait longer for a release than another, is it any wonder then that some cd's are pirated? And now they seem to think that by upsetting and ripping off the very people that pay their wages they will be able to make their industry stronger

top topics

join