It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy's Is Now The Official Restaurant Of 9/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The ending caught me off guard...

...and now I am confused.

Humor as they said can fare well in politics. It can also break the ice on troubling topics. Here is a superb example of Bush at his finest!

Oh... wait... whats that
OHHH!!! lol

"No weapons of mass destruction under there! Lets see, nope, none under here either."

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
That interview was as pointless as anything I've ever seen, besides being about as inappropriate as I can imagine.

By the way, John McCain was shot down over North Vietnam where he was held captive for 5.5 years. He would have had no contact with the Viet Cong, which was a guerrilla force made up of South Vietnamese.

If you're going to do political humor, the details matter.

However, I'm not sure that the author was sure what was going on either, or maybe he and the reporter were both lost in space.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

My friend, I must say that I have never heard that decent political humor demands details.

[Edit: I of all should not say how to be funny
] Borderline humor I find funny actually, when no one is laughing because they don't know or aren't sure, and I am the only one with a grin or am cracking up... then again, I have a different sense of humor than many. Although this interview definitely did not tickle my fancy.

However, what I did find outrageous was the fact that Wendy's is now the official restaurant of 9/11.

[edit on 6/2/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyorai
My friend, I must say that I have never heard that decent political humor demands details.

Well, how can you be laughing when your thinking that all the facts are wrong.

It's one thing to laugh at a joke that is obviously just a joke.

Political humor must be based in reality, otherwise the point is lost.

For example:

Q: Why does President Bush have so much trouble speaking?

A: When he drove off the bridge at Chappaquiddick, killing Mary Jo Kopechne, he suffered brain damage.

[edit on 2008/2/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Your political humor surpasses me.

In general, the more a joke identifies personally, the more potent it can be.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

And there in lines the point. Political humor is best when it is directed to an informed audience. Those who can understand nuance, satire, and irony.

Oh, by the way, McCain is from Arizona, a border state.

Border states are notorious for people speaking Spanglish by almost everyone.

The Hispanics use the terms mi amigo and my friend depending on whether they are speaking Spanish or English. Many Hispanics speak Spanglish among themselves and it is not uncommon for white non-Spanish speakers to sprinkle their speech with Spanglish also, so that they might go through the day saying "Good morning" and "Buenos Dias" and referring to folks as both "mi amigo" and "my friend."

It is just as common here in New Mexico and I never went around saying my friend, until I moved here and it became incorporated in to my speech as I interacted with native Spanish speakers.

In fact, I carry on quite a few conversation with my friends and colleagues in Spanglish because sometimes their English is as bad as my Spanish, but together we can communicate using both languages.

So, while the term "my friend" sounds strange to the ear of folks in other parts of the country, it's very common here.

new topics

top topics

join