It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much of Ufology is disinfo or just BS ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
You don't disagree with me. You disagree with what you wanted me to say that I didn't.

What? OK easy there champ, call down or take some medication. No one's after you.

My point was UFOlogy is a unrealistic name and so anything coming up from the sudoscience would be disinfomation.

I believe you mean pseudoscience.

You state that people are not going to follow the scientific method. Thus is is a sudo science.

No, I didn't state that people in Ufology are not going to follow scientific method. What I said is that there are people in Ufology that don't, the same way that there is bad science and quacks in other fields of science. Try reading my post again.

If you think that all UFO researchers do not follow scientific methods or reasoning, I guess you only know or have heard of the quacks.

However If I drop an apple. It will fall.
you can get an apple and drop it and it will fall.
gravity is proven.

You CAN't get a ufo upon request. There is no scientific method.

Can you get a Supernova on request? I guess there are no scientific methods for that either.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
How much of Ufology is disinfo or just BS ?
____

I'd guess quite a bit. Especially from the disinformation folks shaming up the waters with excellent fake photos and video. Some people including me are trying to find the truth of the mysterious 5% Unknowns and have been for awhile.

The deeper I get into the UFO problem, the more questions I have. But I believe there's enough respected reports to believe something unusual going on in the skies around the world that warrant interest and investigation by people affected and/or interested in trying to find answers -- wherever it leads.

As for disinfo & BS distortion of the truth, I would guess each run at about 45% minimum.

Dallas

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've always personally thought that approximately 15 percent of UFO reports are either hoaxes or disinformation, and of that, only about 2 percent is disinformation purposely spread by the government to cover up a test of a black project plane or something. The other 84 percent is honest misidentification of ordinary stuff. That leaves maybe only about 1 percent for "real" UFOs.

As far as I can tell from the literature, true strange UFOs are extremely rare. Even pilots, who spend their working days in the sky looking around, are only apt to see one or two in an entire flying career. And most pilots don't see any. Of the few hundred UFOs reported every year, maybe one is an authentic alien/time traveler/whatever UFO. Maybe.

Just estimates, based on my understanding of the field.

P.S. -- It probably seems like there's more disinformation skullduggery around because the stuff they spread is intended to be fun and exciting because it's designed to confirm all your most thrilling suspicions while at the same time making you feel like an "insider" with a straight pipeline to The Truth. As a result, these stories tend to linger a little longer and have the strongest advocates, since psychologically the advocates have a personal stake in the information being true. Knowing "The Truth" makes them feel special and important, and if it turns out to be a lot of hogwash, well, that makes them look like complete dopes, doesn't it?

So the disinformative stuff, particularly some of the nonsense created in the late 80s and early 90s, has higher and stronger visibility, disproportionate to the amount of effort actually made to create it.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
In my opinion, the sparsity of reliable information is what hurts. We end up with mythology, rumors, scams, and BS drowning out the relatively small proportion of real information. This BS comes from both believer ans skeptical communities. Its all arm-chair guessing. Its nothing but a terribly wasteful distraction. What little real information we get ends up being eye witness accounts from honest, confused people who are left feeling isolated and alone. Their words twisted by believers, and their truth scorned by skeptics.

There is only one useful answer, and that involves directly intercepting the phenomena as it occurs.

It scares most people to think about directly confronting their beliefs. They would rather sit in their arm chairs pontificating about how UFO believers are nut cases, or that skeptics are stubborn fools. That debate is a complete waste of time. Its gone full circle and determined nothing new. Politicos might like it, but for us scientists it is entirely unfruitful.

Post-event forensics is also insufficient. If we do not directly confront sparsely occuring phenomena (I think nohups numbers are probably accurate) we will never have a scientific answer, and both religious belief systems of Skepticism (Common Set is Universe Religion aka, the over-application of Occam's Razor) and Believer (Desire is Reality Religion, aka, Emotional Realism Primitivism) will continue to muddy the waters.

What we need is to spend the money on direct observation. Then we could tell the Air Force to stop screwing with the public's trust. They clearly lied when it came to the latest Texas case.

Impartial direct observation is the future of UFOLOGY. The rest of this is just noise.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

I've always personally thought that approximately 15 percent of UFO reports are either hoaxes or disinformation, and of that, only about 2 percent is disinformation purposely spread by the government to cover up a test of a black project plane or something. The other 84 percent is honest misidentification of ordinary stuff. That leaves maybe only about 1 percent for "real" UFOs.

Sure if you wanna use numbers you've made up on the spot. There's alot of variables that lend to credible reports. And these variable can be easily spotted. If you have a pilot for the Air Force spotting a UFO doing things his jet can't do, and it is cross referenced by Radar and ground observation(Look at the COMETA Report it's full of these), then you have yourself a credible case. Same thing happens when multiple people identify the same object, as well as accurately identify other objects, then there's another credible case. Just like the Jan 15 Stevensville UFO.

The numbers in the COMETA Report, MUFON archives, National UFO Reporting Archives, and many others state that only about 6 % of cases are credible And the rest is fluff. Not 1 %.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
take a look at this site and you tell me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join