It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
The UN-African Union peacekeeping force proposed for Sudan's Darfur region will take most of 2008 to deploy fully, the UN's head of peacekeeping has said.
Jean-Marie Guehenno said not enough troops had been contributed to the force. Only 9,000 of 26,000 planned troops have been deployed so far.
About 200,000 people have been killed and two million displaced in five years of conflict in the western province.
The mission - United Nations African Union Mission in Darfur (Unamid) - has been delayed by obstacles imposed by the Sudanese government, including restrictions on the force's communications and a ban on night flights.
Khartoum has also rejected some non-African troop contingents.
The force also lacks crucial equipment, such as the helicopters necessary for it to move around the arid region the size of France.
BBC World Service Africa Editor Mary Harper says that with the expected delays, there is little prospect of any meaningful security returning to Darfur.
Last week, human rights group Amnesty International called on Sudan to stop obstructing the deployment of the joint UN-African Union force, which took over from an African Union deployment on 31 December.
The group said security was deteriorating, most of the camps for displaced people were awash with weapons, and young Darfuris were increasingly angry and frustrated.
Sudanese soldiers fired on a convoy of UN peacekeepers in Darfur late Monday - the first attack on UNAMID troops since their mission began earlier this month. The gunfire critically wounded a local driver and destroyed a fuel tanker; UN troops suffered no casualties. One UN peacekeeper said the Sudanese troops apparently mistook the convoy for Darfur rebels, but the UN has condemned the attack, stating that the vehicles were clearly marked.