It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

problems with authority figures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have noticed that many posters here have issues with authority figures, myself included. Do others see themselves likewise? If so are we more open to conspiracy theories than other groups? Are we more independent and more open than most? I would love to see what others that post here think, and their theories behind it. Or maybe you think I'm just full of it. Mods feel free to move as I saw no other place to post.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
After reading numerous posts on various topics it appears clear that many people here do not necessarily believe what the govt. tells them. Thus we have the 911 conspiracy, the ufo conspiracy, the NWO, and others too many to list. I have speculated that much of this comes from having issues with the authority figure of the governmental head. It appears obvious that many do not take well to being told something that may not fit in with there perspective. Just where does caution stop and paranoia begin? Why do so many believe that our governing body is not just inept but is out to do us harm?

repsectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I have no problem with 'authority figures'...

I have a BIG problem with abuses of power and a lack of accountability.

Clear as mud, eh?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I sooooo have issues with this but that is a story better left untold!

I guess it comes from a quest for knowledge or, in other words, a "questioning" mindset as well as an innate, hardcore, sense of right vs. wrong and a vision of how I think things should be.

All bad news for my husband, the saint that he is!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It seems that there are a lot of agencies that love to tell the people of the conus how to live their lives, from health and human services relief agencies. Most of these people seem to have no idea how to really benefit the groups that they are trying to assist. The increase in police brutality lawsuits, comes to mind. How many of these cases stem from a lack of respect and how many stem from overly ambitious officers. Look at the way the Katrina fiasco was handled. Was it ineptitude on the part of the government or a lack of respect for those in authority that caused these people not to move. I am really wanting to play devil's advocate here and say that a lot of what we believe comes from ourselves and not necessarily from the govt.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

As society gets larger and public services as well as public servants get overwhelmed with people and issues, they often give the impression of blindly adhering to arcane rules and technicalities that seem irrelevant in today's world and unfeeling toward those citizens they are supposed to be serving. This would tend to foster distrust.

When dealing with people, at the very least, it needs to be personal. However, in modern society transactions are much more anonymous and routine. People are disconnected and this also breeds distrust.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It seems to me that I don't have a problem with authority. I have a problem with someone still being percieved as "authority" when we know much better than them. The only reason they are the authority is because they have knowledge and power.... and the way they are using it, it doesn't make them authoritative. It just makes them bullies, murderers, and theives. We are the authority. We've just gotta believe in ourselves more, I think.

If this was simply just abn outlet for rebellion, then why aren't we more of a hip crowd? If I wanted to rebel just to rebel, I would've been prancing around in pseudo-punk fashion get ups in high school and writing anarchy symbols on everything....which I've already done, and it's pointless.

This has a point. It's not a problem with authority. It's a moral disagreement with the established way of life.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I think most people have a problem with authority from time to time. If I have authority over five people and we don't all agree on an issue, I'll make a decision for the 'good of the group'. Those that don't like the decision might well have a problem with my leadership.

Government tends to do what's good for the majority, rather than the minority. Consequently, every decision has its supporters and detractors.

The larger the authority, the more people it will disenfranchise.

Major problems occur when the 'good' intentions of a government are only recognized as such by a minority. That's when there's a groundswell belief that the government no longer is in touch with the people it represents.

Perhaps those in authority have access to information that we don't, and thus their seemingly unpopular decision is good for us. We lack the perspective to tell.

History shows us, though, that sometimes those in authority make terrible decisions, which is why a little mistrust is a healthy thing. I don't think people on ATS would be distinguished by having a 'problem' with authority. I think ATS members are more apt to question authority and hold it to a higher standard of proof. That's not a problem; it's wisdom.

Check out my blog: Esoterica in America

new topics

top topics

join