It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl, 7, 'crushed unconscious' on overcrowded train

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Girl, 7, 'crushed unconscious' on overcrowded train

www.dailymail.co.uk

A seven-year-old girl was "crushed unconscious" on an overcrowded commuter train run by Britain's worst rail company.

Laura Booth, who stands just 3ft tall, began vomiting and passed out in a standing position because she was so tightly wedged between other commuters.

There was no space for her to lie down so her grandfather Mike Pearce, 54, had to hold her limp body upright for ten minutes until the next station.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I read this and had a few images in my head.

The first was of Sheeple. Crammed into a transport on their way to the slaughter.

Then I had another, WW2 Jews, crammed into a transport on their way to the slaughter.

What do these companies think they're playing at? Are we nothing more than just a profit margin for them?

I bet the bosses of this train company don't use the train. I expect they prefer to fly to work in their private helicopters.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
if i remember correctly, london underground employed an american who used to be in charge of overseeing cattle transport in the us to oversee their operations.

anyone who's ever lived in or travelled around london by the underground knows that that is exactly how you are treated. no-one there is a stranger to being herded into trains so full that you cannot move even a centimetre let alone an inch. there aren't enough trains to cope with the massive influx of people that have moved to london over the last decade or so. the fares are horrendously expensive and keep rising yet the quality of transport always seems to decline. it is disgraceful for this day and age and i'm so glad i don't live there anymore.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
goodness how awfull poor girl, i cant begin to imagain how her grand father must have felt....i cant belive that the other people didnt give her a few more inches.
m x

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by morganathefey
goodness how awfull poor girl, i cant begin to imagain how her grand father must have felt....i cant belive that the other people didnt give her a few more inches.
m x

then you have never travelled on the london underground (or several train lines that run into london) during rush hour. you do not have even a centimetre between you and all the people around you. believe me - people would have helped to hold her up but it would not have been easy to get her out when everybody was squashed together.

if you've ever seen one of those 'how many people can you fit in a mini' type things then you can imagine what the tube in ruish hour is like. perhaps someone should actually count how many people manage to push their way into one - i think you would be shocked by the answer. surely there is a health and safety limit for human transportation? if not, why not?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

My God !
I cannot imagine anything worse.
Had it been my child I think I would have gone ballistic
At any cost

Mungo

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

no you are compleatly right i have not.

is there a health and safty regulation regarding numbers of passengers?
m x

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Maybe people in London should invest in car pools. Help a littile bit? When a society cames to something like that you know something is wrong. If you had the entire city pitch in some how there must be something they can do. That is the problem today, people can't seem to band together to get something done anymore...

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
My browser decided to freak out and freeze causing a double post. Sorry.

[edit on 26-1-2008 by halfmask]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The privatisation of the rail industry was always going to be a huge screw up, designed to make the lucky few rich at the expense of the public.
The big rail operators still receive big subsidies from the government (tax payers money) even though their management rake in huge bouses and the big shareholders laugh all the way to the bank.

Here's an interesting little report I stumbled across a while back:

www.taxresearch.org.uk...

Nearly half of the £1.5 billion in dividends paid out in the last five years by nine private train operators and rolling-stock companies has been funded by unpaid tax, according to a detailed analysis for RMT by tax expert Richard Murphy of Tax Research.

Almost £1.3 billion of deferred tax is owed by the biggest six train-operating companies (Tocs) and the three rolling-stock leasing companies (Roscos) - but this is tax that will most likely never be paid, and is effectively a hidden subsidy that dramatically increases cash profit levels.

As a hard working tax payer who doesn't use the rail system, due to cost and it not actually going to where I work, I find it incredible that my taxes go to pay subsidies to a private corporation. I thought the idea of a private company was to run on it's own, NOT to be propped up by my money to line the pockets of the senior management

top topics

join