It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what ancient cities findings does N.America have to offer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
egypt has the pyramids,s.america has mayan,aztec,incan,toltec,olmec cultures and massive cities,what does n.america have?surely there are some ancient ruins somewhere,or have we possibly built over such cultures?seems to me dinosaurs are the main attractions here.am i wrong?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by scott33

Hello Scott33. You seem to be correct that North America doesn't have the richness of Ancient Cites. But there still is historic villages such as the one in British Columbia called Mission has some pretty ancient totem poles dating back 9000 years. The aboriginal history in Canada is very rich and diverse from the Eskimo to the Cree and Ojibway. They were here a long time before Europeans walked the land.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
isn't there lots of old stuff in the midwest??

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by scott33

Cahokia !!! You definitely want to look into Cahokia and the civilisation that built it. Also, look into the Anasazi ruins in the US Southwest.

And there is Serpent Mound...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hundreds of pyramids can be found in NORTH America.

In the past the Ice Sheet covered most of north america making it pretty hostile to live in. The best place to live at that time was the Gulf of Mexico.

Mexico is in the North Americas.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Yes the cliff dwellings of the southwest, both anazazi and other peoples are quite an experience. If anyone ever gets to the 4 corners region I highly recomend Mesa Verde national park.
Thats about it, the other cultures in north america that rose to a high degree of sophistication, didnt build with stone materials, so thier citiies did not last. There was a very advanced, for the time, culture that thrived along the Missippi river, I'm thinking about 2000 BC might have been later, that covered so much territory it had to cross tribal lines.
They left behind large mounds and other earthen structures.
The one thing about north america is that it was an easy living in general, and very easy in california. There wasnt nearly the enviromental pressure or population pressures that drive the devlopment of more advanced societies.
When you look at central and south america, you get very advanced and sophiticated cultures arising in areas that fostered intense competition for resources. And this gave rise to nation states and the ability to gather and pool the rescources nessecary for the grand building projects of the empires of central and south america.
There might not be ancient wonders here, but there is a rich history of the first north americans.
There are pictographs carved in the rocks of a local river bluff. I know of places where people have been living/passing through for thousands of years.
There is a trail I know of that is probably been there as long as people have been in the area
And then theres the odd rune stone or celtic cairn but those are usually dismissed as hoaxes or misdentification.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The Pueblos in Taos, New Mexico are a fascinating place to visit. They are about 1000 years old. Unlike other ancient sites around the world which are in ruins, the Taos pueblos are still inhabitted and maintained just as they were centuries ago.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Hey, don't forget Rock Lake Wisconsin, and its neighboring Aztalan. Go ahead and google each, or check out the beginnings of a Rock Lake thread here

Enjoy

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
There's stuff in georgia too.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Tennessee has The Old Stone Fort State Archeological Park. I ain't been there yet, but have read up a little on it. Here are some links:

tennesseeencyclopedia.net...

www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/OldStoneFort/

en.wikipedia.org...(Tennessee)

Here is an exerpt from the Wiki article above, and I seem to remember one of my history teachers in school mentioning this:

The Old Stone Fort remained a mystery until the University of Tennessee conducted excavations within the structure in 1966. Throughout the 1800s and early 1900s, numerous theories were put forth regarding the identity of the structure's builders, ranging from the overly-simplistic to the exotic. In 1823, the Pioneer, a Jackson, Tennessee newspaper, argued that the Old Stone Fort was built by Buccaneers from Seville after one of their ships wrecked off the coast of Florida and forced them inland.[8] In the mid-1900s, the discoveries at L'Anse aux Meadows and the supposed recovery of Viking artifacts in various parts of North America led many to believe the Vikings built numerous stone structures throughout the Eastern U.S., including the Old Stone Fort. In 1950, author Zella Armstrong hypothesized that the fort was built by "Welsh-Indian" descendants of Prince Madoc.[9]

Tennessee is a nice place, I love living here, but if memory serves correctly, this is about all we got in regards to antiquities.

BTW, what did I do wrong in inserting the first and last link? I tried four times to fix, but can't figure out what I done wrong.

Edit: never mind the last bit, posted reply and all was fine!

[edit on 1-2-2008 by seeker83]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The Nazga lines are on the North American continent......let alone ALL of MezoAmerica.
PLEEEZ

The Anasazi ruins are so vast and encompassing on the South West its mind blowing!! This was a huge & thriving culture.....you can still see the roads they built all over the place in 4 corners...

I cant even believe the OP started this thread....

weird thread.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
How about these in north america:
Newport Tower
Ruins in Massachusetts
There are many odd things found on the East coast as well as all over North America.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The Vikings made it to Heavner, OK. I've seen the runes that are carved there. Here is someone else's description (I could not have said it better)of the large stone and the state park set up around it. It's an easy hike in to it and worth the time if your in the area. members.aol.com...

new topics

top topics

join