It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court rejects appeal by Enron investors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Supreme Court rejects appeal by Enron investors

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected an appeal by Enron Corp investors seeking to proceed with a $40 billion class-action lawsuit against investment banks that put together financing deals for the energy trader, which collapsed in 2001.

The rejection of the Enron appeal followed the Supreme Court's ruling in a similar case on January 15 that sharply limited the ability of shareholders to sue third parties, such as financial institutions, in securities fraud cases.

The Supreme Court denied the appeal in a brief order, without any comment or recorded dissent. Outside lawyers have said a Supreme Court rejection of the appeal would mean an end to the lawsuit.

"Fundamentally it means it's over," said Jay Brown, a securities professor at the University of Denver's Sturm College of Law.

In the Enron case, a U.S. appeals court ruled for Merrill Lynch and Co Inc, Credit Suisse Group and Barclays Plc and held the lawsuit could not go forward.

Calls to the law firm representing the Enron investors were not immediately returned.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Wow. What a suprise. Not.

Let's see, Dubya's cronies, stacked to the hilt in the Supreme Court, rule in favor of Dubya's cronies involved in the Enron fiasco, for no accountability. And the beat goes on...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Supreme Court - Bought and Paid For!!!

Did anyone actually think that they would be granted to right to go after the big-money players that fund this government?
Do these shareholders honestly believe that there is even one person left fighting for THEM in the government?

I mean, they don't even bother to hide who they work for anymore!
I mean I loved the comment "The Supreme Court denied the appeal in a brief order, without any comment or recorded dissent."

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Honestly, I know our system has always been corrupt, but I have never seen it more "in-your-face" than in the past several years. I mean it is beyond blatant. TPTB are literally thumbing their noses at all of America.

top topics

join