It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phone radiation wrecks your sleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Mobile phone radiation wrecks your sleep

news.independent.co.uk

Radiation from mobile phones delays and reduces sleep, and causes headaches and confusion, according to a new study.
The research, sponsored by the mobile phone companies themselves, shows that using the handsets before bed causes people to take longer to reach the deeper stages of sleep and to spend less time in them, interfering with the body's ability to repair damage suffered during the day.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.independent.co.uk
news.independent.co.uk
news.independent.co.uk
environment.independent.co.uk

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think its very interesting that the phone companies themselves initiated this report.

However, as usual, hurting people is bad for business.

The embarrassed Mobile Manufacturers Forum played down the results, insisting – at apparent variance with this published conclusion – that its "results were inconclusive" and that "the researchers did not claim that exposure caused sleep disturbance".

The study – carried out by scientists from the blue-chip Karolinska Institute and Uppsala University in Sweden and from Wayne State University in Michigan, USA – is thought to be the most comprehensive of its kind.

But Professor Bengt Arnetz, who led the study, says: "We did find an effect from mobile phones from exposure scenarios that were realistic. This suggests that they have measurable effects on the brain."

The conclusion:

The people who had received the radiation took longer to enter the first of the deeper stages of sleep, and spent less time in the deepest one. The scientists concluded: "The study indicates that during laboratory exposure to 884 MHz wireless signals components of sleep believed to be important for recovery from daily wear and tear are adversely affected."

I tell my girlfriend not to talk on the phone when she's driving. Now I'll have to expand that to not talking after a certain time at night heh.

Dr Chris Idzikowski, the director of the Edinburgh Sleep Centre, says: "There is now more than sufficient evidence, from a large number of reputable investigators who are finding that mobile phone exposure an hour before sleep adversely affects deep sleep."

Dr William Kohler of the Florida Sleep Institute added: "Anything that disrupts the integrity of your sleep will potentially have adverse consequences in functioning during the day, such as grouchiness, difficulty concentrating, and in children hyperactivity and behaviour problems."

This is great news for people who don't own a cell phone, but definitely bad news for the rest of us.

Check out the links I posted to further investigate this topic.

news.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
That is crazy biggie. I hardly use my phone, but now I don't even wanna carry it in my pocket! Thats it. I'm building a lead case for it.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Its kind of ironic the phone companies encourage you to talk after like 8 or 9 at night....you know how they give you unlimited minutes after that time. hmmm.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Its kind of ironic the phone companies encourage you to talk after like 8 or 9 at night....you know how they give you unlimited minutes after that time. hmmm.

haha, those... BASTARDS..

I knew it. Ok I'm getting a land line

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

The mobile phone waves are still in the air.

It doesn't really matter where you are, but as long as there is cellular phones in use, you're being berated by radiation.

Not to get you paranoid, but microwaves emit radiation, as do televisions, and what do you think the machine you're using now does?

The sun emits solar radiation. Is the sun a bad thing?

Look, the point is in moderation nothing is that harmful. However, in large quantities pretty much about anything can become poisonous or dangerous including water.

We just need to be aware of certain dangers around us so in the future we can prevent hurting ourselves.

apc

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Proximity to the radio source as well as the orientation of the antenna play huge roles in personal exposure. You can demonstrate this with a powered speaker. You know how with some phones they induce interference in the amp, causing a chirping sound in the speaker? Make a call and hold the phone so you hear the sound (as I'm typing this my speaker is chirping from my phone receiving a tower ping... hah!). Then turn the phone in different directions or back away from the speaker. The chirping will be affected because the radiation is not truly omnidirectional.

So basically, don't worry about your neighbor yacking away. It's the phone pressed right up against your temporal lobe that nukes your brain.

top topics

join