It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Video Game Consoles? Release Dates?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So the top three video game consoles at the moment, in my opinion are the Xbox360, the PS3, and the Wii.

Anyone know what the next consoles will be called?
Xbox720? Ps4? Wii 2?

PS4 possibly, But I doubt the monickers Wii 2 and Xbox720.

Perhaps the Super Wii, as in suite from NES to SNES.

Also, anyone know any possible release dates? Perhaps 2009/10 would be correct that is about 5 years since the approx. release of the Xbox and PS.

I would love to hear your guesses.

I also heard a rumor(?) of a possible upcoming Apple made console.
Any truth in this?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Hmmm, Interesting ideas you have there Agent V.

PS3, will move to the PS - something Blu - to rub the what looks to be a blu ray victory in the next gen DVD format war.

Xbox360, will miss out 720 and go straight to 1080 - which also links in nicely with the whole HD 1080i lala oujimaflip

The wii will become the wiiwii, or the wii2 (squared) although they may want to give that a miss being as how much the game cube sucked.

I don't think Apple have any plans to move in to gaming, but I could be wrong.

Dates... Seeing as they haven't got anything like the full capability out of the 360 or PS3 yet, I would be going with, updated versions of the current systems in 2010 (just like the Elite360) and then new systems to ship in Q4 of 2012.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Considering high def tv, I would expect a new console to probably have the name Virtual included somewhere in its title.

Xbox-V

PS-V

NW-V

Something along those lines.

PS. Before all you Romans start pointing out that V=5, the V stands for Virtual in this scenario................OK

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
thanks for the insight. i dont really know if xbox is going to keep up with the numerical titles be it 540,720,1080(although that does play in as the 1st poster just said). I think that the xboxlive portion will have a larger role as well-perhaps no more free demos! lol

the playstation will most likely go on to the ps4. but they too will probably incorporate a stronger live type of system, than that of the ps3.

as far as the schematic of the devices are will probably be very modern and continue on the trend of upgrading models to be more sleek.
shapes?sizes?colors? anyones guess.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think some pretty intense VR systems should be on the way in a few years... We've had VR tech for quite some time now...I would expect it to be developed enough to work efficiently and effictivley in an home enviroment.

who knows??

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Well, as GamePro Magazine, and Microsoft has said, don't buy a 360, it will break/red rings of death. So doubt a sequel is on the way any time soon until they figure out how to make a 360 that doesn't break 34% of the time.

Wii... Maybe. The first quarter looks well with one game for the Wii, SMSB. After? Nothing. So Wii may falter this year after a first quarter boost.

PS3... Well Sony already said this was the console for the decade so maybe later then 2011 for a new console. But with .01% failure, and as GamePro pointed out a whole year of incredible games the PS3 will have a strong year.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
PS3 is clearly the system to invest in...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roland Deschain
I think some pretty intense VR systems should be on the way in a few years... We've had VR tech for quite some time now...I would expect it to be developed enough to work efficiently and effictivley in an home enviroment.

Speaking of which, remember the Virtual Boy console from nintendo? Not really virtual reality, but it was a cool concept. Graphics sucked though

[edit on 1/24/08 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I've heard a rumor about a Wii 2.0 type of thing which would give the Wii HD compatibility, but I don't think they'd make such a simple upgrade because all of the older games aren't in HD, and I doubt they'll be re-released in HD. I think their next system will have HD but also advance the abilities of motion sensing.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think we won't be seeing the next generation of home consoles until at least 2011, but I would not be surprised to see a new portable system pop up before then. The DS came out in 2004, so it's possible nintendo already has it's successor in mind. There have been rumors for years now about Microsoft getting into the portable game, perhaps with a portable version of their 360 hardware.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

wow i completely forgot about that thing. I remember when it first came out i wanted to try one sooo bad. Never did get a chance to try one of those bad boys.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't think you will see the next Gen systems come out until 2012.

Nintendo will come up with a new code name for there system and when it get within a year before it comes out they will break out the finally name.

Sony will come out with the PS4, and Microsoft will come out with Xbox (some numbers, it wont have a name)

Also with how the Wii has been doing all the next gen systems will improve and incorporate on the Wii technology.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i think some other company (like apple) need to come into the race
for game consols. it has been playstation and nintendo and microsoft
for like 10 years.
and handhelds are deffinetly the thing coming out next
in my opinion

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
[edit on 2-2-2008 by DesertRose]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Great thoughts on the upcoming handheld systems soon to come.
I also think that they will be released before the new next-gen systems are.

It would definitely be cool to have some new competitors in the gaming industry, be it Apple/Alien Ware/MS handhelds/etc.

One thing that I would like to see continued advancement on would be first person shooters. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas was and is one of my most favorite realistic fp shooters for 360. especially since they incorporated rapelling(sp?) customization, and many others.

Prices for the next next-gen systems will probably me semi-astronomical.

Any guesses for price ranges?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

I'm gonna say somewhere along the lines of 6-800 if the the current consoles were anything to go buy, i wish i could remember how much the last set of consoles were......*desperately searches wikipedia*

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I doubt the next generation of consoles will be drastically different from the current generation. It doesn't interest me on how smooth the polygons are, or how good the physics engine is, because there will probably be a limit on what is achievable on video game consoles. What does interest me is interesting plot narrative and that ilk. How they tell the stories they write up will hopefully make the games even more immersing then they already are. I also doubt they'll make their new consoles very expensive. You must realise how lucky we are to be living in this generation. Back in the day of the Sega Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) the console cost $200 over in North America, and the game cartridges were around the price which games are right now. If you overprice your console, it won't sell as much as a cheaper alternative. Nintendo really like doing this, so they'll be tweaking their new system and releasing it at a cheaper more affordable price, undercutting their competition.

www.youtube.com...

I like the possibilities of this though. Interesting idea.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I personally would expect a new Xbox around 2010 holiday season. I don't think it was designed to outlast much longer than that. This will be an advantage and a disadvantage over Sony's take on it. A new system, newest tech ... but jaded community if they cancel 360 games as fast as the dropped original Xbox development. Most likely in the $500 range +- with different features.

PS4 around 2015, though they want a 10 year life for the PS3, I think it could be sooner than this depending on what the 3rd gen MS product does. Of course, an updated PS3 might just get them there ... who knows what we will see once developers figure out how to best utilize the cores for what they want it to do. Probably around $500 as well.

Nintendo ... I think after the Wii, they will have to make a big leap. Move into the 1080p graphics, since a few years most people will have those sets. Better motion sensing controllers. I think they will still low-ball the other two, but depending on how much tech they put into it, they may not be able to do it by as much. Possibly $3-400.

I don't think we will see any virtual/3D in gaming until the generation after next. I believe that televisions will have to advance to at least double their current resolution, or, the system will have to come with a set of stereoscopic goggles ... which will raise the price point considerably. It is possible, since a company has developed a 7" 1080p screen .... just a bit smaller and stereo 3D goggles could be a reality for next gen, since the size and distance from you eyes will make it quite vivid at that dot pitch.

I think we need to see how Home works out. If it is a success, figure Live will have to go this route in the next gen. Sony I believe will continue free online access, while MS loves to get that $5/month. Hopefully, after another year or so of people paying for DLC, they will start to get sick of it and do a soft boycott of companies that try to rip us off (EA having you pay to unlock cars early, that are already in the game).

I think it would be great to see SEGA step back in. Learn from past mistakes. The DreamCast wasn't bad, it just had bad timing, and if it had a DVD player as the PS2 did, it could have lasted longer in the U.S. market. It was much more successful in Japan. They also had a cool handheld back in the day, even a handheld that played Genesis games.

Apple. Yes, I would be interested, but, probably $1000+ price point. They are so much more expensive in general, even though I prefer their products. After feeling ripped by my 360, I am not too eager for another computer maker to jump into the mix. I would rather see a handheld from them than a full console.

I think the most important thing that any company making a next gen console needs to realize is, we need MORE MEMORY. Both the PS3 and the 360 could have performed much better if they had a gig or two of both system and video memory each. Graphics intensive games need lots of memory. Obivion stutters on both of these systems (though one is better). The main reason is memory.

I think they should also make the leap next gen and give us a TB or bigger hard drive. MS pushes digital downloads, Sony claims media center ... well, to do either, we need space. If you want me to put my 60+ GB of music on my PS3, videos, game saves (5 GB for Oblivion + game saves that can be multiple GB), virtual memory cards, add-ons, expansions, PSN games, PS1 games, etc. ... drives fill up quick ... if MS wants me to buy movies, shows, games, add-ons, expansions, etc. as well as media, 20 GB or even 100 GB fills up quick.

Of course, game development should be top notch ... for any generation. Game developers shouldn't give us some of the junk we do get. This gen can do some amazing things I am sure. We haven't scratched the surface of the PS3. 360, who knows, conflicting reports. Next gen should be nearly unbelievable with polygons, physics, lighting, colors, etc. That isn't everything ... I hope to see more top notch voice acting like in Heavenly Sword (the best voice acting in any game to date ... in fact, better than a lot of movies and shows I have watched!!!). Immersion comes from overall quality of production.

As long as people stop the stupid console 'wars', and hating those who have/like different systems ... competition is good. I think this gamer generation is much spoiled and do not realize just how good it is.

I remember when I was quite impressed with my ColecoVision. It was the Playstation of the past ... I used it as a computer (word processor with a printer) and could save the document to a tape drive (cassette), games, both tape and cartridge ... and it played Atari 2600 games as well. It had a controller with a joystick, keypad and 'shoulder' buttons. It cost a pretty penny as well
I cannot forget the countless hours playing Asteroids, Omega Run, Donkey Kong Jr., Buck Rodgers, Family Feud, and many other games ... that by today's standards look a bit outdated. Ah, the good old days.

Well, hope I didn't bore you, I was bored and rambled

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I'll take a shot in the dark

X3 with limited backwards compatibility of 360 and none for xbox but will be more compatible with windows 7 (as long as you have Cinima Edition Pro) and the release of the MicroBox, able to play the old xbox games handheld cluncky but it keeps the xbox games flowing again.the main competition will be...not sony nor nintendo but see below

PS4 & LightPSP (7 inch screen, the control is under the screen, like holding a ps1/2/3 controller now yet has a screen hooked up to it not really for the pocket but yea) The P4 will try to be more like a computer but still focus on games.

Nintendo will most likely continue the small sized console and go ........
MiniWii the MW, all games still compatible if not bought but download able along with yup a ds card slot with a pad and stylis for playing them, on the tv
along with a gb/gbc/gba slot as well.

Now the biggie Linux finally gets its console out which not only acts as a family room pc but with the capability of WINE can play all PC games. Gives out free tech support from the company ( mind you all you paid for was equipment ). Also get games and applications made by users. Becomes microsofts main competition

Apple will die out with the computer business minus the notebooks and focus more on portable music/video devices.

I'd say buy 2010 they will start announcing them

top topics

join