It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What missile this is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I mean both of under wing and under fuslage.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well the aircraft is an RAF Tornado GR1. Info

It looks like a variant of a Paveway laser guided missile.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Nice same actual aircraft.

Not sure about it being a paveway look simlar to a paveway, but not actually the same as anyone I've seen.

Looks a bit like a GBU-15 or AGM-62 Walleye but not completely. So I reckon it could some sort of tv guided bomb.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hmm, well I'm not sure exactly which ones they are, but I found a list of missiles on Wikipedia!

Wikipedia

Shattered OUT....

[edit on 14-1-2008 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
RAF GR1A Tornado ZG706 is in storage at St Athen and is reserve aircraft and not active - as a 1A the aircraft is recon aircraft

as for the missiles: the one under the wing looks like a hellfire/brimstone - but does appear larger than usual - the fins are wrong for maverick as well

they are not paveway`s - the seeker is wrong

i think the one under the wing is a martel AJ168 tv guided ASM

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I thought I found it with the AJ168 as well, then I found a photo of one here.

wikipedia

That does seem the best match for the seeker and they both seem to have the same seeker as far you can tell from a photo. To me the one under the fuslage does look more like a guided bomb than a missile, but looks like it part of the same family as the one under the wing.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by deckard83]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
it's a variant of aj168, not to sure what it is called but i do belive it's used for live fire and testing.

recognise the photo from a book on aircraft weapons testing, i will see if i can dig it out on the net.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I found it and wasn't even looking for it, I was looking at diamond back and got sidetracked

PGM 500
PGM 2000

wikipedia link because it's got decent pics

MBDA manufacture

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
They look extremely similar, but I don't think it's the PGM's.

Says the PGM 500 and 2000 are for United Arab Emirates, but why would they be on a British Tornado?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
They both have the bit underneath the missile at the back of the smaller ones, can't see the undernerath the PGM 2000

Since it was developed by Alenia-Marconi, they might of used RAF tornado for developement and testing.

I was wondering if I could find any info on ZG706 being used as a test aircraft, It got used used for FLIR trials (didn't get the upgrade to GR4 standard got stored instead)
linky

From this airshow list looks like it was assigned to SAOEU - Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit
linky
So that might be possible.

Do we know where and when the photo was taken?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
So, may only way we can reach the answer is to find the source of this photo I think.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
no the answer has been given above you the PGM 500 and 2000 would have been used whilst the aircraft was used at SAOEU for weapons carraige and stores testing

top topics

join