It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time a consequence of the scale of observation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I worded that title right but I'll try to explain. There has been a lot of recent scientific discussion concerning time's place in reality. At the most fundamental level, beyond the Planck scale, it may not even exist.

I'm always amazed at how scale does not seem to affect the geometrical qualities or instincts of the physical universe. An example would be fractals; the patterns of our veins, rivers, tree limbs, and other similar 'natural' shapes.

Tying the two concepts together, is the perception of time a universal effect caused by observation (or consciousness) at a particular scale or mass level? It's comparing atoms to galaxies but it almost seems like the more massive or scalar the system is, the longer the perception of time is. That might be too large of a generalization but I'm not sure. Or it feels like we are in a 'bubble' within perceptual time so that some things look slower and others faster, when really we're all moving the same 'distance through time' according to each part of the universe's own observation.

Just a thought...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Too general, obvious, unanswerable, or uninteresting? Too much like relativity?

join