It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far are we willing to go with genetic engineering?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
well damn i don't think i ever saw that movie!! now i'll just have to, sounds interesting.... you and i should probably go to the same genetisist.. it sounds like we want a few similiar things. if i find a good one i'll be sure to recommend him to you

i hope they can find a way to put my special need minerals into a chocolate hostess cupcake!! or a peanut butter cup...

/sigh How much you wanna bet it will be a pill or a shake instead...

Imagain that we'd be back to hiring alchemists to prepare custom made supplements.

I was sadly born before my time....

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
UnusualMe, so true.

Who wants to be just... human? :-D

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Genetic engineering...Hmmmmm!
How for are we willing to take it?
I believe we will push Genetic engineering to as far as the impending peak oil crisis allows us to. Genetic engineering, along with every other form of human/environmental/social fabrication or modification, has indeed a definate limit. Those who believe the effects of our modern day industrialised cultures to be infinate, are sadly mistaken. Predicting our future in terms of scientific discovery, or to your favourite sci-fi TV show is simply stupid. Even some of the most brilliant minds in the science world ,who are so passionately involved with their work, are blinded by their own personal evolution and development, fail to see the real impending dangers and effects that the coming oil crisis will bring. Check out the following facts.
In 1859 when we commenced the mining of oil, the worlds population was around 1 billion people. In the year 2000 the population had reached 6.5 billion people. The rise in global population has only been atchievable since the discovery of a cheap energy sorce. Fossil fuels. We are now consuming more energy (oil) than we can extract from the ground. In the year 2000 we reached our peak oil (half way mark) and we are now on the decline. We are running out of a cheap enery sorce and there's nothing we can do about it. We will continue consuming this energy at an expotential rate until it is gone. Then what do we do? The sad part is most people are clueless to this fact, or simply believe it wont happen in our lifetime. Wrong. Any of us that are lucky enough to live for another 50 years from today, will be unlucky enough to witness the effects the oil crash will have on modern day society. You can forget about genetic engineering. No Oil= no $ = no industry = no consumer based corporate market = no transport = no electricity = no water from your taps = no shcooling = no convenience stores.............................= survival of the fittest. Would you eat you neighbor if your were starving? Would you let your nieghbor eat you? We will indeed experience a new age of canibalism and primitive wide spread ground wars based on limited food and water availability. The popualaton is expected to drop between 2020 and 2050 from and estimated figure of 9 billion people to 500 to 1 million people. Blowing your mind yet. Forget space exploration, fast cars, teleportation, dvd's and plasma-screens. The age of oil is going to become a mere blip in the history of mankind. Future generations will look back on us, and our story shall be the most extrordinary but overwelming of them all. The age of industry, 200 years of oilempires and mass destruction. Our planet can only take so much of that.
So.......how far are we willing to take genetic engineering?
-----you tell me-----!!!!But first, type "peak oil" into your search engine!!!

Have a happy future and good luck!
Yours
DEDMAN...

Your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Why are you so sure an oil crisis would throw us into a barbarianistic state that includes canabilism? In my estimation if that were true the government would probably start stockpiling oil... it would use this to drop supplies to people as well as keep projects going to explore new energy types.

We already have some cars that can be equiped with electric cells... stations can be put along major supply routes to keep them going.

They'd probably also start building a slew of nuclear power stations to keep the electricity on.

The biggest problem would be the big cities... they could degenerate to a barbarian type state.. but I'm sure many would have left for greener pastures.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well the fact that they discovered that human aging stops around 95 years old and our ability to alter ourselves gives me hope Imight live a lot longer..

If they can figure out what process is turning off age at 95 then maybe we can turn it off much earlier. Then will just need cloned parts to replace things like our liver from to much drinking or maybe our heart from to much super sizeing.

I'd give up my ability to reproduce for an extended life 1 to 400 more years?. Maybe with the option to reverse both some point down the line.

Then I to could become a millionair in say 1-200 more years LOL.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well, let's see, you think we can sit around on our hands fretting "What should we do, what should we do" while South Korea and others are doing work on human cloning? In a competitive world you want to be the first if possible and at least stay in the running if not. The best technology usually wins battles and wars, be they military or economic. If its possible someone WILL do it. Do you want to keep up with the freeway of change or stand still and get run over? It's about biological, economic and military survival, there should be NO question about it.

Pedal to the Metal.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join