It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the women of ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
This question has come to mind. I have been on ATS for a couple of months now, and I noticed that, as far as I can see, women are a bit under-represented here.
I think from the top of my head, I know of 3 female members that I ever came across here on the site. Probably there are some more, that I have not met yet.
I reckon that most ladies make their gender known either by name or avatar, or both.

How can this be? Is looking for truth, knowledge, debating and exploring mysteries, something that is a typical male treat?

I find it strange, because the woman is typically the more emotional, and feeling creature. Or do these emotions and feelings only apply to more mundane subjects like love, sex, children etc.?
Are women more oblivious to the things we come to seek here? Do they have less time to spend, or doesn't it fit their self views? Is it a cultural thing?

Is it just the man that tries to make sense of his existence, by being an explorer and conquerer, so to speak?

Are women less conscious then men?

Or am I talking about something non-existant, and half of you guys, is really a girl? A girl with a very deep voice and an Adam's apple.

Did anyone ever think about this? Your thoughts please, Ladies and Gentlemen!

PS: By no means do I mean to insult any gender whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Am I the only one that finds this subject interesting? Opinions please.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by enigmania

Hi enigmania, I am woody ... pleased to meet you (I think) ... just in case you are unsure I am of the female persuasion ... no adam's apple ... deep voice ... or five'o'clock shadow (at least not the last time I checked anyways).

Ok mister ... now the formal introductions are over ... you go and wash your mouth out with soap and water

Hellfire man, where have you been looking ... there are girls all over the place and most of them (like myself), ROCK at ATS.
You just need to look a bit harder maybe.

Woody

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah, what she said!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Okay, I'll opine, a short one.

Women are not adventurous because they have to stay at home and take care the children. If a lot of women are adventurous, will be in deep trouble.

Women are emotional because they're mothers. And we certainly don't want them to become emotional adventurers.

If you don't see a lot of women right here in ATS, it's just fine for me.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Don't get mixed up with these ATS women. " THEY"RE CRAZY!! ", they will eat you alive!

Actually, all the women that I have ran into here on ATS do rule.
, they are strong headed and very smart. Keep looking OP, they're out there.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

That is offensive

I am a stay at home mom and an active member of this forum.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well I'm glad to hear that Woody, nice to meet you to!
I feel I've touched some sentiments here, so please don't get me wrong, my question wasn't driven by sexist motives, I just got the feeling that it's just a bunch of guys here.

The more women here, the better, cause we all know they are the fairer sexe.

[edit on 9/1/08 by enigmania]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Hey I'm fine by that too!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
Okay, I'll opine, a short one.

Women are not adventurous because they have to stay at home and take care the children. If a lot of women are adventurous, will be in deep trouble.

Women are emotional because they're mothers. And we certainly don't want them to become emotional adventurers.

If you don't see a lot of women right here in ATS, it's just fine for me.

Wow, you're an old fashion kind of guy, aren't you. But in a way you are right, if every woman would emancipate, we men, would be in big doodoo, probably literally.
I think emancipation sometimes goes to far, women just are better at some things, and men at some other things, some things are better left in place.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Check out the 'girls' night out' threads with DG and the hotties.

:w:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Wow! What the heck? Iam a stay at home mom of 8 ...a VERY active member here and I'll eat you for breakfast if you tick me off!

For the record, it was searching for info to shut my worse half up that led me to ATS in the first place.Not only did it help me shut him up, but to boot him out the door.Oh yeah, us ATS women are crazy.Don't mess with us.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wow, gosh.
where have you been looking??

I am just glad that I am in a don't care mood today because this thread could have gone the wrong way.

Just wait for all the women and girls of ats and bts see this... then you will be asking, " where the hell did all the men go!"

Regards

Onixx

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Wow! What the heck? Iam a stay at home mom of 8 ...a VERY active member

Are you serious you have 8 kids?!?! I thought you were just kidding! 8 kids, where the hell do you have time do, well, anything?!?

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I have lots of time Hikix..4 of them are 13,17,19,21...
I make time for ATS.
Sorry I shocked you.I know I don't look like a mom of 8.But tis true.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Greetings, OP.

From what I understand of the stats on this board, almost 80% of the members are male. Of course, the same stats say that the most popular topic is UFO's. Not sure if it's a female thing or a personal bias but ufo's don't much interest me.

We are a little under represented but, being a mouthy lot, we manage to get equal time and space on the threads. No shrinking violets here. God help you if you start a thread that has a whiff of sexism in it. They're not kidding about eating you alive. I've got the teeth marks to prove it and I'm female. It's an equal opportunity cannibalism. :bash: (only partly kidding)

If you're not fond of intelligent, opinionated, beautiful and self-directed females then you picked the wrong board. If, however, the above appeals to you, then welcome.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
As a woman I see most of your theory as true. It's also interesting, as I see other site/boards as such dominated by males as well. Actually it seems like a whole of the www has more males than females, (some)women seem to just check their emails, compared to males doing research and exploring. I believe mostly men are more interested in these topics, yes women being more oblivious but not ignoring of. As well as women seem more immensed in other topics/issues in life, including taking care of children(lots of single moms who work and do that), dating/sex, kids and beauty message boards. Plus, kind of a given anyway, women being more emotional may find it harder to relate to some of these topics. Though, of course, it's not limited to all of us! Women are not less 'conscious' than men but the conscious varies. I don't have children but I often find my time limited for message board discussion, especially lately, due to other family aspects and work. Though it's one of the more main things I do on the net. As you've mentioned I also see it as a cultural thing.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Oh yeah, us ATS women are crazy.Don't mess with us.

Damn right, AD!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
And now...for my Grand entrance.........

I am dgtempe, i am woman, and i belong to the famous bad girls club. The owners of ATS were looking for me when they started this website....need i say more? Careful cause a few of us here are man eaters.
That is all.

Carry on.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well, I am definitely a chick, and I am definitely on here.

I guess my avatar should have glitter and bunnies on it. Or my name should be "PrincessRainbowPony" or something.

And by the way... who ever said women have to stay home and take care of the kids? I am quoting one of the comments above me, but I can't remember who said it. My husband is perfectly happy with me going to work and kicking butt at what I do.

But then, I also make more money than him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join