It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Rarely What You Say.. It's About Being The "Rockstar"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Watching a few segments of the election scene today, they were interviewing some potential voters and getting some feedback on what they saw, heard, thought, etc. Time and time again, they praised Obama for what he had to say and what he can do for this nation. But none of them had a clue what he said. None of them knew a damn thing about his platform, his views on any of the key issues, or anything about him for that matter.

It's a name, a face, and a personality.

Could the average voter openly state the difference between Obama and Hilary on illegal immigration? The economy? Foreign policy? Does it even matter?

We hear "change", "change", "change".. but never any details. I love how vague he can speak and never get questioned. "We're going to fix this nation, and bring about change is Washington!" And somehow this is good enough?

Does the enlightened American voter sleep well at night knowing that the next President may have been voted in for how he looked, or that he had "rock star appeal", and not for what he said? I'm certainly not saying that he's not the best candidate for the job, but he more than most seem to be getting praised for everything but what he actually has to say.

Is this a concern?

Listening to what specifics he does share, I do like what he has to say. I'm not sure that I'd vote for him, but I can't say that I wouldn't. But I raise an eyebrow to those that are voting for him, but couldn't answer the slightest question to what he has to say.

Any thoughts on this?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Rockstar, Changes..
We should elect David Bowie.

You're right.
I have an example for you.

At a Christmas Luncheon, I was asked what I would be doing on my time off.
I said "Canvassing"..

"WHAT?"

"Canvassing..Talking to people about a particular candidate. Trying to get his message out."

Then they asked who I was supporting. I told them, and the their response was "I can't vote for a guy that talks funny"

"Oh really? Who are you supporting?"

"Giuliani."

I hope he forgets to vote..

[edit on 7-1-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well it's true on both sides as well.

Obama and Clinton have been getting away with this since the campaigning began. Neither of them are ever asked any real questions, or pushed to expand on their platforms or ideas. People simply except them either for their smooth style or their family name. On the Republican side you have people clamoring over Mike Huckabee at the moment, mostly because of his past as a Baptist minister.

It's the classic cases of Identity Politics, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Many American voters want to be rid of Bush and his legacy so badly that they would vote for anyone who promises change. What these people fail to grasp is that change should be a measured decision for the better. I have given my views on the candidates elsewhere on the boards so I wont repeat what I have already posted.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Great observation Chiss.

I'lll give ya' a star and $75 for that goofy suit of yours.

This is the celebrity mentality at it's very best. I propose we change out all the magazines in the Dentist's waiting room immediately.

Becker

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I like Obama, but I agree that voters should be informed about his position on issues, voting record, etc. Here are some links. Because he has been accused of being a Muslin and/or belonging to a racist church, I've also included a link to speech he gave on June 28, 2006 regarding his views on religion and politics, and also a link about his alleged Muslim connection. These are from two of his websites, but they're a starting place:

Voting Record
Stand on Issues
Speech
Muslim Question

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Sestias]