It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover New key to Flu Transmission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Scientists Discover New key to Flu Transmission

www.reuters.com

Flu viruses must be able to pick a very specific type of lock before entering human respiratory cells, U.S. researchers said on Sunday, offering a new understanding of how flu viruses work.

The discovery may help scientists better monitor changes in the H5N1 bird flu virus that could trigger a deadly pandemic in humans. And it may lead to better ways to fight it, they said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Now that we know the viral "key" in the entry into the human and bird cell as outlined in the Reuters article, and the new Influenza Type A vaccine they are working on, Bird Flu (H5N1) shouldn't stand a chance.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
What's interesting to me is the way virus and bacteria are so different in the way they infect.

Bacteria are all around us, but initially at too a low number to get a foothold. Or they can't penetrate intact skin.

Virus, on the other hand can, if it gets optimal transmission can infect with one virus particle.

Fortunately, the body can often fight off this viral attack using cell mediated immunity, and it's only when defenses are down (or the virus is very infective and rarely seen) that we become infected.

Of course, then there are the Prion diseases which we can't disinfect reliably, nor do we know how they transmit.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

It is intreging isn't it. Bacteria are all around us and on us without problems (unless you are Diabetic, Immunocompromised or have a deep cut). Virus' are so much smaller that they can duck and dodge around our dead skin layer to gain entry or just completely invade via a mucus membrane.
Prion diseases, like Mad Cow, kind of drive me nuts. If just a piece of protein can do what they claim, wouldn't that give it the same qualities of a virus, and possibly make it a living thing (that opens up another question, are viruses alive?). I think it may be a yet identified virus that causes Mad Cow and other Prion diseases and the protein they find is the byproduct of that virus.
If we can exploit the way the Flu (H5N1 and others) enters the body by using a medication that blocks this umbrella site on the cells, we could win this war.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by harddrive21

now scientists have the key to fit the lock of bird flu transmission/denial---we can be sure that those that try to 'support" their state with research into the keys of using bird flu as a weapon will be working overtime to perfect various strains to annhilate us with

years ago there was a james bond movie---moon raker?---the mad evil genius decided to destroy the rest of us he considerd worthless by seeding the earth from space shuttles with spores to murder all of us "not needed'? versions of humanity

thankfully james was on our side--sadly the same type of evil ---al quada "geniuses' are hard at work on similar projects---where is bond?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

I do remember that...I think it was nerve gas that only affected humans though. But virus, spores or bacteria would work in the plot as well.
And yes, the devious side to this research would be to further weaponize or genetically change this virus to use a different entry point/method. The Russians did the same thing to Smallpox and Anthrax in the 70's and 80's.
There is no James Bond, but how about Mexicano Superagento Juan Bondo? Seriously, the best we have would be US and British Special Forces (which aren't to bad - I will take 'em any day).

new topics

top topics

join