It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Grocery Chain stops selling Cigarettes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

A Rochester-based supermarket chain says it will stop selling tobacco products as of February 10th.

Officials at Wegmans sent a letter to employees this week informing them of the move.

www.wcax.com...

on the good side, they are also offering a smoking cessation program to employees who want to quit.

So, I guess now, we can expect the stores to start playing nanny also?

Can't wait till they stop selling all that beer, and the chips, and the hamburg, and the......

The world has become so unbelievably outrageous!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Typical.

First they make it illegal to smoke in public places.

And then they conspire (possibly) to stop selling it in their shops. This wont affect the tobacco companies too much seeing as they still got the rest of the world under the thumb, but it wont be too long before others follow suit.

Soon you wont be able to buy cigs at all due to shops simply refusing to sell them, then you'll get a black market going and that, of course, will become illegal. (But I'm sure we all know who will be doing the boot legging, and it'll be the non-government authorized runners that'll cop the blame and there'll still be cigs sold on the streets).

Welcome to the new outlawed personal choice of smoking.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
As long as it's voluntary, that's fine. People can get it from other stores or dedicated smoke shops will be set up.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I can not wait until I have to go to a speakeasy to smoke my cigarettes! I read this today since there is a Wegmanns around me, but I don't shop there. I am sure others will eventually follow suit. All they are going to do is create a huge black market for smoking. Can you say organised crime? So who will be the next Al Capone?

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
I can not wait until I have to go to a speakeasy to smoke my cigarettes! I read this today since there is a Wegmanns around me, but I don't shop there. I am sure others will eventually follow suit. All they are going to do is create a huge black market for smoking. Can you say organised crime? So who will be the next Al Capone?

Just my thoughts.

Organized crime? George Bush and Dick Cheney have that market cornered.LOL

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972

Just my thoughts.

Please actually read the link. This doesn't say anything about cigarettes being illegal - this is purely voluntary on the part of the store. It has absolutely nothing to do with organized crime or speakeasies or organized crime.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about this. As long as the government is addicted to the tax dollars that tobacco brings in and as long as the Congress is addicted to the money that tobacco brings to them, smoking will be legal.

Were it not for the money involved, both to the government and to the individual members thereof, smoking would have been outlawed long ago.

The only reason any individual is addicted to nicotine today is because the powers that be get a cut of the money.

Just my thoughts on it,

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Did you even read what I wrote? I read the link. I know it did not say anything about cigarettes being illegal. It was a remark as to where this will lead to in the future. It is also my opinion. Sorry to upset you so . . .

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Interesting that they make such a move, after all the family owned chain paid $500,000 in October for a retail liquor license.

Perhaps they will make more money selling liquor than cigarets.

www.philly.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bobafett1972

You didn't upset me or anyone, sorry to make it seem like an attack. Tone was inappropriate.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I like my Arturo Fuente's. The government can pry them from my cold, dead left hand. I'll have my S&W in my cold, dead right.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
At fifty or more dollars a carton and almost all of that going to the government they most likely just aren't making any profit on it anymore.

Also this is a publicity stunt: "Shop with us we care about your health".

Theres is major competition in that industry. In my tiny home town I saw at least four stores go out of business, and three others replaced by other stores when the orginal chains were folding across the country.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Grocery stores are usually one of the most expensive places to buy cigarettes anyways. and well, those little tobacco shops have popped up all over the place and are cheaper.
They also have a right to chose what they do or don't sell.

But.....
....with such a wide assortment of toxic martinis available in your typical store....and I'm talking food here, how much help is cutting this one product gonna offer? Will they decide to continue this, and take the chips off the shelves next, then something else, then something else? And, what will be left when they're done for us to eat?
When are we, the people, gonna start demanding that the manufacturers of this crap quit throwing the crap into our products to begin with? If we want a healthier lifestyle, that should be our first step. But, instead, we center our focus on a few of the obvious sources, the cigarettes, the Mc Donalds, and and attempt to give them credit for the whole problem, staying in our state of ignorant bliss and ignore the much, much bigger problems.
When Mcdonalds goes out of business, the cigs disappear from view, and the sodas are a thing of the past, what will they find to blame next....and then next, and then next?

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Wegmans, a chain of 70 stores in 5 states, told us that they were
quitting tobacco sales because there's no profit in it anymore...

not that they had moral or ethical or health issues with tobacco sales.

so, 'they' aren't going green or rightous, they are just concerned with their
bottom line,
after all why invest all that money & billing invoices for a product that
does not move and is a product that will attract looters when the economy goes into skid-row this coming summer-fall

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
LEGALIZEEEEEEE ITTTTTTT! dont criticize itttttttt.

mabey theyll start selling certain herbs in place of cigs?

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Timewavezer0
LEGALIZEEEEEEE ITTTTTTT! dont criticize itttttttt.
mabey theyll start selling certain herbs in place of cigs?

Heh, yeah, funny you never in 80 years of prohibition heard anyone say "there's no profit" in that. Is it because its not taxed perhaps?

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
They probably see the writing on the wall. With Americans law-suit happy - in the future people with lung cancer will probably not only sue the tobacco industry, but those who also sell the product.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Nobody should have to sell what they don't want to sell, for whatever reason. But, then again. pharmacists who don't want to sell the morning after pill for whatever reason, are forced to sell them. Strange things goin on here.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a pharmacist might be messing with someone's health and wellbeing if they start picking and choosing what drugs they will or will not sell, especially in a small town with a limited number of drug stores. I've walked just about everywhere I went for most of my life, and believe me, I wouldn't appreciate walking all the way to the closest drug store, just to find out that they refused to sell what I needed, and then have to backtrack and head to the next nearest store. I'd be boycotting that first drug store the rest of my life. To me, if the drug store doesn't want to sell certain drugs, they should be required to at least take some measures to ensure that the public is informed of their decisions, ya know, big signs in the window stating they refuse to sell, ads in the newspaper. The last thing a sick person wants to do is go running around shopping for the store that will sell them what they need. And, then the public at large would be informed enough to to decide weather they want to visit that store or not.

But, I am wondering, just what the reaction would have been if Wegman's decided not to sell any pork, for the benefit of their Islamic employees...

I think that would lead to some really interesting discussions.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
But, then again. pharmacists who don't want to sell the morning after pill for whatever reason, are forced to sell them.

It doesn't have to do with being forced to sell it but with the agreement they have to sing in order to be able to maintain their licenses.

To avoid nick picking on prescription drugs because of personal, religious or just plain ignorance believes.

BTW I am still surprised that they want to sell liquor but not cigarettes.

Funny.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join