It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: French Vote In Favor of Banning Muslim Head Scarves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
France's Parliament overwhelmingly votes to ban head scarves and other religious articles from public schools. "The bill was passed by 494 votes to 36. It now goes to the upper house, the Senate, for approval."
[MORE]
news.bbc.co.uk...

The measure was expected to take effect in September. The bill stipulates that "in schools, junior high schools and high schools, signs and dress that conspicuously show the religious affiliation of students are forbidden." It would not apply to students in private schools or to French schools in other countries. Sanctions for refusing to remove conspicuous religious signs and clothing would range from a warning to temporary suspension from school to expulsion

The government argues that a law is needed to protect France's secular traditions and to diminish rising Islamic fundamentalism.

France's Ban on Headscarves could backfire and and spark Islamic Radicalism

www.foxnews.com...

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Are they banning just headscraves, or ALL religious articles?

Being a predominately Catholic country, I can't see them taking crucifixes out of the classroom.

But, France is not America: Much older and there is a fuzzy line between church and state. If they want to ban headscarves, then so be it.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It all religious articles including Jewish skull caps, large crosses in addition to the Muslim headscarves.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm watching how this plays out. I expect a real backlash by the arab world against France.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think the whole world against france seems more likely lol..

I mean come on, did anyone see that movie "Kiss of the Dragon" with Jet Li?? 'nuff said lol..

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by boombye]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Could it be that the French are showing some prevously unseen backbone in this situation?

I expected them to surrender to the Arab outrage long ago. The fact that they had managed to go this far shows that France is not yet an arab nation.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Sweet. Maybe the terrorist will crash some planes into the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Truimph, Notre Dam, or Louvre instead of New York!

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamrebel
Sweet. Maybe the terrorist will crash some planes into the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Truimph, Notre Dam, or Louvre instead of New York!

Rather ridiculous statement.

Have you ever been there? The monuments are just beautiful. I wouldn't want to see any national treasures of any country be destroyed. They should have some kind of freakin' honor sytem or something, where they won't target national landmarks and civilians.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
is this the same france that was head on against the war? the same france that, oh, hates and avoids conflicts?

one wud think that a country with such a history and so much to lose (their existance) from an attack or two would think twice. you dont # with religion in these places, people'll do some crazy #

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yes I have been there (several times). I found the French rather rude compared to other countries I have visited. I agree Paris is rather appealing to the eye. But that said I kinda liked New York World Trade area too.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It was the right decision!

Religious signs have nothing to do in Public Schools. Children should later choose for themselves if they want to follow a Religion or not. A school is a place to learn and learn how to think independently and should stay neutral.

This discussion came up in Germany too lately, but we were too scared to pass a law against it :/

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by CrazyChris]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamrebel
Yes I have been there (several times). I found the French rather rude compared to other countries I have visited. I agree Paris is rather appealing to the eye. But that said I kinda liked New York World Trade area too.

You ain't kinding dreamrebel. But I never said the people were nice, lol.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrazyChris

Religious signs have nothing to do in Public Schools. Children should later choose for themselves if they want to follow a Religion or not. A school is a place to learn and learn how to think independently and should stay neutral.

This discussion came up in Germany too lately, but we were too scared to pass a law against it :/

Kind of hard to pass a law seperating church and state, when they are both intertwined with each other. Especially in Germany, where I remember paying Kirchsteur( church-tax).

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
so howcome, if theyre banning ALL religeous symbols & clothing is it that (according to other reports on cnn and fox tv) muslims are the only ones who are claiming discrimination??????

personally i think it is a good idea, less predudice.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
What is interesting is that the people who wear the scarves in Germany are guest workers from Turkey.

In Turkey they are not allowed to wear them, but in germany they didn't have the courage to ban it.

Originally posted by CrazyChris

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
People need to understand Secularism.
Im for this Vote!

Deep

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
SECULARISM

Definition: [n] a doctrine that rejects religion and religious considerations

I agree w/ deep on this!

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Welcome to our world. I'll tell you exactly what they will do. Everything will be "not allowed", but those crosses will still be there. It will be ignored, oops didn't notice that cross. The subjugation of everything else. The french do it it well. They have to, they can't fight.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It seems pretty stupid to me.

I guess the next attack will come from a bunch of Islamic kids who take over a bus filled with a years worth of their little brothers stinky diapers.

It is their religion to have them. That's like saying, I wanted to attack Iraq because I too wear... A SHIRT.

dun dun dunnnnnnnnn

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm kind of torn regarding this issue. On one hand, I (having gone to Catholic school for 12 years) detest religion in the school, and in my face. On the other, I believe in freedom of expression (once again, as long as you stay out of my space). The French may be causing more problems than their fixing.

It's France's business. I say let them do it and see what happens. If it works, maybe other European countries (and Canada) can follow suit. If it causes a much of #, well....at least we'll know.

P.S.- Something I wish I could get rid of are mindless bashers of the French people. Really, shut the # up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join