It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista to Xp incompatibility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I got a new laptop, one that sucks. it comes with windows vista, a piece of crap on this computer.

anyway, it's a Compaq Presario, the Compaq site does not have any drivers for the computer in Windows XP, only Vista.

i managed to find some drivers that would work for the computer, then, I purged it. Windows XP installed fine. the only problem was, when I tried to run the driver programs, they wouldn't start! and another thing, i could run some .exe files, the ones i had downloaded from a computer with XP.

so my question is this,
"Do files that are downloaded on Vista not work with XP?"

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Spidermonk

Yes, many things meant for Vista will not work with xp.

You need to manually find all the xp drivers-using your buddies comnputer won't work, as it probably has different hardware that will be detected.

You need to make sure you have xp service pact 2, as many programs will not install without it.

If you can get your computer online, put on antivirus and firewall then go to microsoft updates and get it all

Fore more help, we need an exact model number for example:Compaq presario XP-2300

With that, i may be able to provide more help.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I believe the computer is a Presario F730

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
for xp:

download sp33537 - that worked for my video card
download sp32646 for HD audio generic driver

Let me see if i can find a nic driver and then you can let microsoft do the rest or most of it.

Ok, Hp does not have xp drivers-as it is a vista only model.

this is a copy of an online chat with hp to find xp drivers for your laptop.
"Salina: Your Notebook model is designed to run windows Vista, So Hp released only the drivers for windows vista for your Notebook

model, However I will provide you the links to download the compatable drivers for your Notebook model.
Mrmonsoon: thank you very much
Salina: It will not void the warranty on the Notebook.
Mrmonsoon: great!
Salina: HP Note: If you have an Compaq Presario consumer notebook PC that shipped with Windows Vista, you should not attempt to downgrade to Windows XP. Changing the operating system will cause severe operational problems. Many of the components, such as sound, video, graphics, network connectivity, drives, or other devices and peripherals, may have limited functionality, or may not work at all. You should do some research on the support policies of hardware and software manufacturers, and review the problems experienced by other users, before you consider changing the operating system.
Mrmonsoon: understood
Mrmonsoon: having the vista recovery disk, allows redo back to factory very fast
Salina: Ok. Here are the compatible drivers for XP.
Salina: Video driver:
---------------
ftp.hp.com...
Salina: Do not click on the link. Please copy the link and paste the link at the address bar of the browser. Next hit the enter key.
Salina: Installing this driver may result in an error. But continue with the following steps to get the Video driver installed
correctly.
Salina: 1. Click on Start and select Run. Now type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
2. Right click on "Video Controllers" and click Update driver.
3. Select "Install from a list or specific location"
David Stein: k
Salina: 4. Click Next. Then select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
5. Click Next and then select "Display Adapters" from the list.
6. Click Next and then click Have Disk.
Salina: 7. Click Browse C:\swsetup\sp33537 folder and select the .inf file and click open and Continue with the onscreen instructions.
Salina: Chipset driver:
----------------
us.download.nvidia.com...
Salina: NOTE: This URL will take you to a non HP Web site. HP does not have control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.
Salina: Audio driver:
--------------
First download and install the UAA driver from the following link:

ftp.compaq.com...
Salina: After installing this restart the Notebook and then download and install the audio driver from the following link:

Audio driver:

ftp.hp.com...
Salina: This will create a swsetup folder in C drive ("C:\swsetup\sp34200")

Installing this driver may result in an error. But continue with the following steps to get the audio driver installed correctly.
2. Right click on "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus" and click Update driver.
Salina: 4. Click Next. Then select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
5. Click Next and then select "Sound, video and game controller" from the list.
Salina: 7. Click Browse C:\swsetup\sp34200 folder and select the .inf (wis30b2a) file and click open and Continue with the onscreen instructions.
Salina: After installing the Audio driver, install the Modem driver from the link below.
Salina: ftp.hp.com...
Salina: This will create a swsetup folder in C drive ("C:\swsetup\sp33742")

Installing this driver also may result in an error. But continue with the following steps to get the Modem driver installed correctly.
2. Right click on "Modem" and click Update driver.
5. Click Next and then select "Modem" from the list.
7. Click Browse C:\swsetup\sp33742 folder and select the .inf (wis30b2a) file and click open and Continue with the onscreen instructions.
Salina: Wireless driver:
----------------
ftp.hp.com...
Salina: Lan driver:
-----------
Salina: Quick Launch Button:
--------------------
ftp.hp.com...
Salina: Synaptics Touchpad:
-------------------
ftp.compaq.com...
Salina: Card reader Driver (Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader):
----------------------------------------------
ftp.hp.com...
Salina: I have provided the compatible drivers and sent the copy of the chat session to your email account.

this should help if you againdecide to try to install xp again.

And since this IS from the horses mouth (HP) It should be good.

[edit on 12/27/2007 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ok, thanks. I'll try this and post the results.

ps: i cant seem to use the links. do they work for you?

[edit on 8/3/06 by Spidermonk]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Copy and paste them in your browser, that will work.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
One of the cool things about HP that some other manufacturers are only now catching on to is the XP downgrade. If you request a downgrade at purchase, you'll receive an XP cd, as well as a driver pack.

But that doesn't do you any good now does it?

The good news is that the drivers are out there, and you can likely get them at the HP site if you dig. If not, try calling HP support. They should help direct you to where you need to be.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
RAS, not all laptops are being designed as xp and vista machines, some are vista only-from the manufacturer.

This is the case with my laptop, but since it is my vista testbed, i don't mind.

The last thing I will say is rather than calling, try HP's "online" chat help.

Granted, the person on the other line is on dialup-so delays, but you can get real-time help, and the person I chatted with seemed very knowledgeable and very willing to help!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I am also am struggling with reverting mY daughter's vista loaded F730 to XP-Pro, and your post saved me, - But I had to change :compaq: in your
links to "hp" to get the spnnnn files. All the drivers worked for
me except the lan driver, - loaded from the IP address, not hp or compaq.
I do not know how to use the files from that zip file, - they do not auto install.

Can you please give me soem direction on how to get these files/drivers to enable the Lan? I do have the wireless lan working now, many thanks.
Witney

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm now using Windows XP SP3 on my HP Pavillion laptop. I've since deleted Vista. One thing I noticed about SP3 is that you can actually use VISTA drivers without any problems at all. The SP2 version cannot handle VISTA drivers, but this one can. It can use both XP drivers and Vista drivers without problems. Looks like a hybrid between XP and VISTA.

This service pack is still in beta though, however, so far so good. Save you the headache of finding the drivers for XP. All my device drivers are 100% working fine as well as my softwares.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Do a msconfig ......check out youtube for a windows vista msconfig how to.

Vsta sucks arse on so many levels.............but god dam its pretty

top topics

join