It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oddfellows ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Let me start by saying this. I like this site in general because some of the stuff is entertaining. I came on here because of the secret societies and UFO's etc. My grandfather is 90 and has been a member of freemasonry for a long time. I have talked to him at length but doesn't talk in much detail about it. I have a friend who is a WM and is helping me with the application process. My father is in freemasonry as well. So i am going to follow my father and grandfather... What is Oddfellows? that is my question. I know there are alot of masons on here. Just wanting to get some feedback if you will

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I would strongly encourage you to do this over PM, or go a board that is actually friendly to masonry. This board is many things, but masonic recruitment is not something it excels at. This thread *WILL* become completely derailed and end up in a bash fest on masonry - it has happened to every thread like this thus far, and it will happen to this one as well.

I would also point out there is no relationship between oddfellows and masonry - they are not related or the same thing, which your post seems to assume. Oddfellows is just another fraternity, and a simple google search will provide you with all the information you could want on them.

[edit on 23-12-2007 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwwhite1973
What is Oddfellows? that is my question. I know there are alot of masons on here. Just wanting to get some feedback if you will

MW,

There has been some discussion regarding the order of Odd Fellows and Oddfellowhip in general. Search the archives for those posts if you like.

The Odd Fellows, like Freemasonry, is a fraternal society and like Freemasonry, they have "time immemorial" status as no one *really* knows when or where they started. I believe it was 1847 in the U.S.A, but in Great Britain, they are much older and have had several schismatic breaks through the years. There have been groups called: The Ancient & Honourable, Loyal Odd Fellows; Patriotic Order of Odd Fellows; Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, Ancient Independent Order-Kent Unity, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and some others.

As LightinDarkness pointed out, there is no direct connection to the Freemasons, but many historians believe there once was. The arrangement of the degrees, the "time immemorial" existence, etc. Also at one time the Odd Fellows wore Aprons much like Freemasons. This has been dropped, but you can see them on some of the old charts, certificates, etc. From time to time an old Odd Fellows Apron is sold on ebay. Also, the presiding officer of the Subordinate Lodge of Odd Fellows is called the "Noble Grand." Strange title, to be sure, but in the old rituals, he was called the "Most Noble Grand Master." Pretty "Masonic" sounding as the presiding officer of a Masonic Grand Lodge is called the "Most Worshipful Grand Master."

In the U.S.A. they are called the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) There is a branch for wives, etc. called the Rebekah Lodge, but in recent years they have allowed women to become full members of the once all-male Lodge. "Odd Fellows" indeed (!)

www.ioof.org...

The "Subordinate Lodge" confers four degrees: Initiatory, Degree of Friendship, Degree of Love, Degree of Truth. Beyond the Lodge there are "higher" degrees in the Encampment and Canton branches. As I said, there is an auxiliary (Rebekah Lodge) there are youth groups: The Junior Lodge for Boys and Theta Rho Club for girls. And a "Shriner" like group that even wears fezzes called the Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans (A.M.O.S.)

Regards,

J.P.

[edit on 24-12-2007 by Appak]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. I have read many threads that get ripped. I understand what you are saying and appreciate the cander. The only reason I asked or assumed about any link between the 2, was my grandfather is both an oddfellow and mason. my lack of knowledge on my part was why it sounded the way it did.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mwwhite1973

It is good to see that freemasonry is getting passed down through the generations. I applaud you and your family for that. Today many freemasons are not passing this to their children.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
If, on name alone, I was going to pick a secret order that wanted to rule the world, I think this would be the one.

Seriously, I think this was just a competing society. It picked up a few details from the Masons, but that's to be expected. Look how often Christian churches do that same thing; shoot, they're not above ripping off a pagan tridition here and there.

I personally doubt there's too much that is earth shaking about any of these secret groups. Now some of their members are liable to be pretty shady, but I think that's human nature, and not some grand plan.

I would have become an Odd Fellow myself if I had known I would turn out such an odd fellow, just so I could admit to being odd.

top topics

join