It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand rocked by 6.8 quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   

New Zealand rocked by 6.8 quake

edition.cnn.com

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A magnitude 6.8 earthquake off New Zealand's east coast rocked much of mainland New Zealand on Thursday, emergency officials said.

No immediate tsunami warning was triggered at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii by the offshore temblor. There were no immediate reports of casualties.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
It said the quake was located at sea some 50 kilometers (30 miles) southeast of the coastal city of Gisborne.

"We have got a lot of damage and are still assessing the situation," police inspector Wata Shepherd said shortly after the quake cut power to the city's business district.

Any updates? please post it here

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I just found this as well. An earthquake?! In New Zealand?! But then I read further, and the place gets 20, 000+ quakes a year.

Oh well, who cares. It's NZ

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Oh well, who cares. It's NZ

"That don't impress me much!" (S Twain)

Newstalk ZB's Gisborne reporter Murray Robertson says police have announced they have no reports of any injuries so far, but the town is in a state of chaos. He says the main street of Gisborne is shut, as the roofs of several large buildings have collapsed, and one of the main roads into the city has a huge hole in it.

msn.nzherald.co.nz...

Oh! and btw, I live here!
Have a happy holiday whilst we clear up mom natures tantrum!

[edit on 20-12-2007 by Havalon]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
yeah im in NZ too, didnt feel it as am in auckland but it is a fairly big one for NZ standards!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
"From Enceladus"

Any updates? please post it here

Here is an update!

A woman understood to be aged in her 80s passed away shortly after the quake hit, her family says.

She lived in Awapuni Road in central Gisborne and according to her family died of a heart attack due to the stress of the earthquake.

The earthquake measured 6.8 on the Richter scale, and struck 50 km south-east of Gisborne just before 9:00pm last night.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source:
www.tv3.co.nz...

A lotta damage at a bad time of year.

H

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Yeah, didn't feel it in Manurewa, either.

Last earthquake I DID feel, I recall Wellingtonians kind of poked fun at us and told us to toughen up.

F

top topics

join