It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C2C's 'Gulf Coast 'Hole Punch Cloud'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This picture is actually pretty weird.
The wisps of cloud coming from the center of the hole are quite odd.

Can someone shed some light on how this could be made?

www.coasttocoastam.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
This picture is actually pretty weird.
The wisps of cloud coming from the center of the hole are quite odd.

Can someone shed some light on how this could be made?

I suppose it could be created by a column of rising air. It would have to be a heck of an updraft!

It looks like the opposite of those lone round clouds that have been photographed.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wouldn't a column of rising air leave a messy distorted hole? Whatever force made this left the edges of the hole completely in tact. I would imagine that rising air currents would leave the edges wispy, no?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
Wouldn't a column of rising air leave a messy distorted hole? Whatever force made this left the edges of the hole completely in tact. I would imagine that rising air currents would leave the edges wispy, no?

That is entirely possible. The reason I suggested the rising air is the wispy clouds seen in the hole, possibly at a higher altitude.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

Hey there IMAdamnALIEN,

Here's a similar photo that appeared in 'NEW SCIENCE' magazine a few months ago.

It was over the sea not too far from an oil rig. Can't remember the full article but they tried to say it was somehow connected. Never felt like a valid explanation to me but hey ... what do I know ?

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Woody.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The accepted theory is that ice crystals falling from a higher altitude form the hole and the wisps below.

A Hole Punch Cloud Over Alabama

A leading hypothesis holds that the hole-punch cloud is caused by falling ice-crystals. The ice-crystals could originate in a higher cloud or be facilitated by a passing airplane exhaust. If the air has just the right temperature and moisture content, the falling crystals will absorb water from the air and grow. For this to happen, the water must be so cold that all it needs is a surface to freeze on. The moisture lost from the air increases the evaporation rate from the cloud water droplets so they dissipate to form the hole. The now heavier ice crystals continue to fall and form the more tenuous wispy cloud-like virga seen inside and just below the hole.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Or it could be what some of us maybe thinking. A GIANT FRIGGIN UFO!!!!!
i wouldnt rule that one out. But science is far better then my day dreaming speculations.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Hey there W3RLIED2,

Yep ! That's exactly what I was thinking
I like your style and subtltey

Woody.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Have you ever noticed how clouds form along the same types of shapes (fractal) as plasma?

I often notice how the thin, wispy tendrils employ plasma dynamics, and how often clouds will line up in lines and rings.

The wispy clouds in the middle...that is most intriguing.

But being over the ocean...aren't there methane and CO2 "bubbles" that rupture along the Gulf Coast quite a bit? Could one of these be responsible?

Otherwise, i will stick with my "leaky capacitor" theory of planetary science.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Those wispy clouds are cirrus clouds. The lower layer of cloud is altocumulus. Altocumulus clouds (made from super cooled water droplets) exist from 8'000ft to around 20,000ft. Cirrus clouds (made from ice crystals) exist above 20,000ft. Due to the size of the cells in the altocumuls layer, I would guess its between 11,000ft and 16,000ft. I think the hole was caused by virga, which is precipitation not reaching the ground. Cirrus clouds very regularly produce virga that can fall thousands of feet but evaporates before it hits the ground. I hope this helps

Great pictures too

[edit on 19/12/2007 by OzWeatherman]

[edit on 19/12/2007 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

That photo is almost identical to the hole in the clouds the C2C listener posted!

Wow,
how come we havent seen any of these "holes" in the past?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

There has been plenty of holes in the past. I have seen a couple myself, dont know what the big hype is

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

i totally agree,
go to any site that has clouds listed by type and you wil see lots of these clouds. i have personally seen them on two occasions here in the UK.

try these sites:

www.ukweatherworld.co.uk...
www.ukweatherworld.co.uk...

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

thanks

snoopyuk

[edit on 20-12-2007 by snoopyuk]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It really is an interesting phenomenon.

Here are some more.

wkrg.com...

Becker

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Anyone ever heard of a tornado, looks like that to me but a much weaker down draft that didn't disturb the clouds edge. Odd but not supernatural.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

nice one Becker44,

there are some good examples on that site.

thanks

snoopyuk

new topics

top topics

join