It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunt on for escaped TB patients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Hunt on for escaped TB patients

news.bbc.co.uk

Twenty-three patients with incurable, highly infectious and drug-resistant tuberculosis have escaped from a South African hospital, local media report.

A total of 49 patients have absconded from Jose Pearson hospital near Port Elizabeth this week, officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
My, that's strange.

Two seperate issues relating to incurable TB and both with several people involved and 'on the loose'.

Is this some form of deliberate scam to hide the fact that TB has been released into the public domain.

How did these people escape from what should be a completely sealed and secured facility for incurable TB sufferers.

If I remember correctly, (and I think this applies in the US, not sure about the rest of the world) anyone with this form of TB can be detained indefinitely.

Here's a link to the other thread about TB
www.abovetopsecret.com...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
True, at least in the U.S., you can be held indefinitely if you are diagnosed with TB or any other number of deadly, highly transmissable diseases.

I recommend that these people be shot and killed on site and their bodies burned to ensure that all infection is properly killed. If the stomach doesn't exist for that, then they should be tried for 4.6 billion counts of attempted murder, felonious assault and reckless endangerment.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Holy crap! And Merry Christmas to you, as well kozmo!

Yikes!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Well I guess the fema camps will become very active very soon, but as anything in our world and when it comes to humanity I doubt that they will manage to keep in animal pens the sick if the entire populations fall under a highly contagious disease.

Things like this only shows the fragility of our environment and the futility of man kind trying to reign over that environment.

Time will tell what we will become.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Yes, Merry Christmas to you as well!

Your response leads me to belive that you are ok with people acting so selfishly to endanger otherwise healthy people with a pandemic-like illness that has the ability to literally kill millions should it mutate enough to take hold??? We had one such self-absorbed miscreant who almost infected Europe, Canada and the US simply because he wanted to go home.
Hey, ya know, I'm sorry but I'm kinda for the greater good and if I had such an illness I would choose to do the right thing - remain in quarantine, receive treatment and pray that I recover enough to rejoin society. Instead these selfish acts are criminal at a minimum and deserve to be punished to the fullest extent allowed by law. A message must be sent that we as a society will not tolerate such selfish and wreckless acts.

Keep in mind, we are ripe for a pandemic or biblical proportions. Do you really support infected people being allowed to roam around freely? Think about that very, very carefully.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
kozmo at the end everybody at least every day Joe will fall for it, only the elites will have the privilege to stay in oxygenated glass cages and still if this is how mother nature wants to get rid of the pesky human species it will not matter either.

They will just last longer than the rest of us.

I am no afraid to die because we are born to die another day.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

No, untrue. First, TB is not as easily caught as many people believe. If these people had smallpox or one of the hemorrhagic fevers it would be an entirely different discussion. But I don't think they need to be shot-on-sight. They are, afterall, people. In fact, they may not even feel sick and believe themselves to be healthy.

They need to be rounded-up. The facility is the one to be blamed.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Let me begin by saying I was being a sensationalist. Of course I do not belive in shooting people on sight. I was merely using such a response to capture attention to the greater issue.

Despite your opinion of it's contagiousness and how these people "felt" they were diagnosed with "incurable, highly infectious and drug-resistant tuberculosis." They knew what they had and what the implications could be if they left quarantine and they chose to do so anyway - society be damned.

Where is the personal responsibility any more???
What's with the "rationalization" of such wreckless and selfish behavior? People should be outraged and this behavior condemned but yet people want to make excuses for other people's poor, selfish, wreckless behavior. I just don't get it!?!? Your response is likely to give others the impression that such wreckless selishness is ok. I'm wondering how you would be feeling if this event occured in your home town - quite a bit differently I suspect.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

You know why I read you post and just let it be? because if we are confronted with an epidemic and no cure, it will be those that will take matters into their own hands to protect their families, either from others or from the government itself when it comes knocking the door to pick the sick or just shoot on site.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Well kozmo, using your argument, what about AIDS? We let them 'just run around'. We trust that they won't engage in behavior that will infect other people... but some do. Shall we forceably institutionalize them as well? What about other potentially lethal diseases? How about repeat drunk drivers??

Don't get me wrong, I 'get' your POV. But personally, I can't judge because I don't honestly know how I would behave in their shoes. I'd like to believe I'd be a good little doobie and passively remain locked-up for the rest of my life no matter what my living conditions happened to be. But again, not being there I can't say for sure. Not for certain.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

You're comparing an apple to an orange. HIV is transmissable only through the exchange of bodily fluids - and specific bodily fluids at that. Moreover, simply coming in contact with HIV infected bodily fluid is not enough to contract the disease. The infected bodily fluid must be received into the body by-passing many of the infection preventing mechanisms employed by the body for the infection to take hold.

Drug-resistant TB is spread through the air. Simply coughing, sneezing, wiping your nose and touching something is enough to infect dozens upon dozens of people.

Those with HIV who have knowingly infected, or attempted to infect an unwitting or unsuspecting person have been arrested, tried and imprisoned. Simply do a Google news search and you will find many stories describing such occurances.

Everyday living, with abstinence, will not enable an HIV patient to transmit the illness. However, everyday living of a drug-resistant TB patient risks infecting tens of thousands! Get the point?

new topics

top topics

join