It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the awareness??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hi people!

Does any of you know, what is the conciousness/awareness? What is that thing inside a living tissue making it become me/you? I can imagine a robot for example, that has programs inside it, doing its job. Doesn't have an awareness.

Gaining knowledge and power is possibly one skill of the awareness. Am I right, that the soul is not made of simple braincells? Possibly the mind is governing the awareness, but the awareness is ruling the body.

So, does someone know what is awareness, and what powers can it conduct?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
project your awareness to a tree standing outside of your house. Are your braincells over at that tree? No. Your awareness is. You are now aware of the tree. Thats awareness. There is no limit where awareness can go. Very simple. And for free.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
On the same note, what defines awareness? What is it exactly that makes you... you?

Using the original example, robots can be aware of their suroundings. Those robotic vaccuum cleaners gradually 'learn' and become aware of an area, likewise those robotic toys that 'learn' from their surroundings, and NASA craft that have to be aware and learn new routes while exploring / surveying.

Awareness and conciousness are not connected, you do not need one to have the other. Again, robots have no conscious, but can be made aware, likewise a person with mental disabilities can be concious without being aware.

So what does make you you?

Is it a some of your parts? It isn't in the physical... an amputee is still the same person, and memory / being isn't stored in a body part. A physical loss does not lessen the individual.

Is it the mental? You have conciousness, you know you are up and awake, and are able to function, versus an unconcious person. You have awareness, you are able to take what you see and do something with that knowledge, are able to interact with your enviroment, versus someone with a mental disability.

So what makes you you?

For one, it is how you react to the world around you, how you are affected by, and alter, what you percieve. Your reactions, or lack of, defines the person that you are.

Two; your aspirations. What is it you want, what you hope to achieve. An animal does not aspire to be something other then what it is. A robot cannot comprehend what it means to want to change.

Third, your emotional states. You can feel happy, sad, angry, fearful, and it is those emotions that can also have an influence on what you are. Higher lifeform animals have this trait, and can be readily seen by the wag of a dog's tail, or a cat's hiss, or the running of a rabbit.

It is a combination of these factors that governs who you are. But does that mean someone who is brain dead, or someone with mental disabilities is lesser? No, it doesn't... but it does prevent that person from expanding, from growing and becoming more.

So then, what does make you you?

The wanting on answers. The thinking of questions. THAT is what defines being. The seeking of truths, of discovery. Animals do not question. A robot can do no more then what it was programmed to do. Even the mentally handicapped have the ability to wonder.

So then, after all this is said and done, afte all the thoughts involved and words typed, all you are left with is this:

Imagination.

And that is all the power you need, for without imagination, what do you have left?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Light of my life

Good topic, and some good answers so far.

Check out the "Research Forum > Consciousness Research" section of ATS, available here (if I have linked this right!)

In particular, check out the "Inner Light" theory of consciousness, available from that forum. I've poured over that theory and I think it has a lot of good info.

According to that theory: "Consciousness is the irreducible entity a computational machine perceives itself to be as a result of (1) an ability to observe its own high level works and (2) an inability to observe its own low level workings."

I buy that, but I don't think it is a complete answer. Still, Steven W. Smith (the author of this theory) exercises uncanny perception -- he gets closer to answering this question than anyone else I've seen.

I think you would like this paper, especially given your moniker!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Nothing we understand can actually tell us what makes us tick. It is kind of like this:

You can see the person in front of you using your eyes. But, even if you wanted to, could you see your own eyes? Not without a mirror.

Same goes for "Can you really observe yourself and determine exactly what you are"? We as humans have the capability to observe our surroundings, but we will never be able to accurately observe ourselves.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
project your awareness to a tree standing outside of your house. Are your braincells over at that tree? No. Your awareness is. You are now aware of the tree. Thats awareness. There is no limit where awareness can go. Very simple. And for free.

Thanks.

Projecting methods eyevision and telepathy, I think. Some may see it livingg, or see it artifical.

But what is that thing making someone an aware person? Is it just braincells and nerves, or something more? Is there something trapped in the body after birth, tthrough life?

Other question? Is it possible to swap the souls between two people? If yes, is it regular? Using technology, I guess.

top topics

join