It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castro to step Down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Castro to step Down?

news.bbc.co.uk

Cuba's ailing communist leader, Fidel Castro, has raised the possibility that he may never return to the presidency.

"My basic duty is not to cling to office, and even less to obstruct the path of younger people, but to pass on the experiences and ideas whose modest worth stems from the exceptional era in which I have lived," Mr Castro's letter said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Despite everything that western leaders say about Castro, he has looked after his country's people - perhaps a lot better than some of the western leaders who denounce and deride him.

People will say that Cuba is not a democracy, but with various "anti terror" laws, tazing of innocents, authoritarian bullying, lies and broken promises, can any western government say they are eny better?

The west certainly does not have the welfare of its citizens as their number one priority, whereas it could be argued that Castro has, and does.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
He has kinda clung on to the presidency though, hasn't he?

I mean, he's run Cuba for almost fifty years. It's usually only monarchs who stick around that long.

From the point of view of your average Cuban I imagine they see him as we see our leaders... they do some good things (in his case, the public health system perhaps) and some bad things (not allowing Cuba to be a democracy, maybe). His tenure in office is certainly an achievement from one perspective, too, but in my opinion it's not a good thing.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

I don't really see our present government as much of a democracy - they have pretty much done whatever they wanted since coming to power, culminating in prudence's refusal to stand by his word and give us a referendum.

Castro has (allegedly) had the best interests of his citizens at heart, and we have only seen the bad picture that the US paints of him, and also followed their lead as well - but in all honesty I don't believe a word they say.

I have friends who have visited Cuba, and they had nothing but praise for the place, as well as having a great time with friendly people, low crime, low violence and a decent standard of living.

Here's WHO info on Cuba.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Your friends are tourists, not political opponents demanding rights.
If they had, they be arrested and put in prison.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I believe that Castro gave away his rights to govern Cuba to his brother the day he went into surgery and have not taken them back since then.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It's interesting that Fidel only sent a 'letter' instead of making a personal appearance & addressing his public over the State TV...
hmmm

sure Bush & Co want Cuba to go 'democratic', because then all heck would break loose as factions vs faction vs faction would result...
leading to mahem

the present political process where the Cuban voters elect a National Assembly (( similar to the USAs Electorial College )) who then elects
a President is a sane & fair method of transfering Office & the power of the office of President, but the war hawks in this administration paint
the Cuban system as un-democratic and requiring intervention/remodeling.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Budski. It is very easy to say how Castro has done so many wonderful things when you don't live there. My family left Communism for a better life. I am a product of freedom. I just have a few words for you. Please go to Cuba and don't stay at a tourist trap. Stay with a regular Cuban for a week. I will personally give you money if you can stand the conditions in which you will be living for more than 48 hours. You take your freedom for granted. Unless you can live it, you won't know.

If you are referring to Michael Moore's movie (Sicko), I give him some credit for doing his research and presenting some facts. However, what you saw in Cuba is a total and complete fallacy. The only ones that can experience the medical treatment you saw may be the highest government elite. Regular Cubans don't get the treatment you hear of. They don't have the medicines, facilities, and even the doctors, who these days are being deployed to Venezuela and Bolivia, in exchange for oil.

How would you like it if your government told you, your family's business is now everyone's business and your house will be subdivided into 4 houses. I bet I know your answer. I can go on and on.

Do I think the Embargo has worked? Absolutely not. I would engage them and trade with them. Castro really doesn't want that. He knows the moment Cubans have some kind of financial strength, they will be out. The same is happening in the United States. Our Constitution is being eroded and more rights are being taken away from us. Population's weakness is a dictator's dream.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by manticore]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

You've never heard of the patriots act?

Just a different method of silencing dissenting voices, not to mention the US torturing people.

A democracy the US ain't, except in name.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Just a different method of silencing dissenting voices, not to mention the US torturing people.

A democracy the US ain't, except in name.

You know that people tend to ignore so many facts affecting our own nation in the name of security.

Our government doesn't have to touch the constitution it just goes around making sure we don't get to be to free to exercise it.

Now we most be aware that the next time a major protest get in place too close to comfort for our government they will just blast us away into oblivion.

No really a steeping on our civil rights just a method ofpopulation control.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

If you carefully read my reply to you, you will see how I don't agree with the Patriot Act and any of the initiatives our own government is pushing forward. In a way, you are agreeing with me. Until recently, we lived in a constitutional republic. It is a shame that it's slowly being turned into something else.

At least we have the illusion of deciding elections and having separate branches of government. In Cuba, they don't have any of the above and a dictator running the country for almost 50 years.

new topics

top topics

join