It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont just bloody read, understand the sentence, damnit!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This seriously irks me! People reading but not comprehending. The worse is if they read a paragraph and by the time they reach the third sentence, they totally forgot what the context of that sentence is. And then misunderstand the whole thing.

Reading comprehension is dead, I tell you.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
And the answer is...

= Vegetables.

MonKey

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Thank you very much beachcoma

and I`d like to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New year in return also.

Edit to add
My New years resolution is to cut back on taking the mickey when people go off on their rants.

Not sure if I have that much will though.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by gps777]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
lool i would like to say blame the school not us! j/k

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
BC you have hit the nail of my ex right on his head.

The man has ZERO reading comprehension.

I'll send him an email saying that I'd be glad to change days with him, give the day, date, and time, and he'll screw up and show up the day before or not at all.

And when he gets a court order ... whew.

I really don't understand how anyone can read the same thing I'm reading and not understand what it says to the point of not showing up for the kids last weekend when he was supposed to have them.

It's scary how many people have the skills to read but are still only semi-literate. Eeeek.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Beach,

Why are you ranting about Bush this morning?

Seriously, i think it has to do with the fact that some people are medicated for one thing or another and its ohhhhhh so easy to forget. Dont forget this is the age of meds, even for kids.

So, to get back to what you said, yes, socks do have a way of dissapearing in the dryer.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Now hang on a minute, DG. Let's not discriminate against the medicated. I'm on meds. My ex isn't.

I don't think it's the zoloft.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
^

Why do you think i sound happy?

Second line: Medicinal, of course. I have to take two medications in the morning, you're not alone!!!!!

BEACH: I know you're irritated and this is just to put a smile on your face. Not meant to irritate you further. OK?

[edit on 18-12-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

It's cool. You guys can't irritate me even if you tried to.

Speaking of being irritated, here's another thing that annoys me about threads on ATS -- people responding (negatively) to something on say, page 2 of the thread, which has already been addressed by the person being responded to at say, two posts down. I mean come on... read the whole damn thread... sigh...

I can understand if 4 or 5 pages have passed, (chalk it up to people being too lazy to read), but this is just a couple of posts down. Look before you leap, or in this case, before you click on 'Reply To'.

Oh and while I'm at it, let me just bitch about another thing -- it really bugs me that threads with over 5 pages of reply is basically comprised of "yes it is" and "no it isn't" posts. Discussion forum? Bah! Bickering forum is more like it.

Okay, I'm done venting.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Beach, I know this was directed at me and let me tell you how very sorry I am for this. But I am afflicted with being right brained in a left brained world and you can imagine how much confusion this must create.

And along the same line....

Don't you just love the folks that read the topic headline, the last post and go on and on and on and on with their .02.

They always have to remind you that it's two cents. Keep your money!!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is my personal favorite one:

One person asks a question and 45 people, mostly mods answer the exact same thing.

:shk:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Eh? No, whaaa. You're alright in my books. This is directed at a couple of newbie drive-by trollers, and a certain Roman-legionnaire wannabe.

Don't you just love the folks that read the topic headline, the last post and go on and on and on and on with their .02.

They always have to remind you that it's two cents. Keep your money!!!!

Cool! I'll keep that in mind next time.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
This seriously irks me! People reading but not comprehending. The worse is if they read a paragraph and by the time they reach the third sentence, they totally forgot what the context of that sentence is. And then misunderstand the whole thing.

so what your saying is people are badly under edjamacated???

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

When writting one must give serious consideration to expression of comprehending. Sure when one writes one's words are understandable to one's self, but how much time has been given to understanding that no one has the same perspective or understandings as the writter one.

People are free to percieve meanings how ever it is they wish and in association, so that the one wishing to express communication in text should always be aware their words might not be as clearly understood in the context and as the statement as they entended.

This is the nature of the confusion between people in the expression of communications with words written or spoken.

Do what you can for others not to mispercieve your words and/or stop bitching about it.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

VARIOUS kinds of very commonly used drug abused drugs will do that . . . as well as mental laziness . . . poor reading habits . . .

TV generation sound bite mentalities . . .

folks given to emotional spouting off in self-righteous/insecurity based arrogance etc. based mentalities . . . selfish in that spouting off is OK, paying attention to anyone else is too much work . . .

Not sure there's a cure. Was a major jolt in coming back to the USA after 15 years . . . the general level of cluelessness and capactity, seemingly, to make simple sense out of simple facts had suffered dramatically.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I admit that I maybe one of those people whom you may feel irked at. I have a prticualrly nasty combination. I am a natural speed reader but due to medication for Bi-polarism I have all the memory span of a ferret on acid. I find myself reading and re-reading things in order to "Imprint " things into my somewhat ...errrr... dense cranium. The problem with allthis is that I used to have great reading comprehension but no more. I have been informed that my memory span should improve given time and as my body adjusts to the medication. So having been on both sides of the equation I can certainly understand your being irked by people like me at times. I know that I have been.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Note to self:

Make posts more concise and under a few sentences.

Do not connect too many ideas if it takes more than one paragraph to conclude the idea.

ATS needs to remove the one line post rule so I don't have to say as much.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

The one line post rule applies to posts that aren't relevant to the topic. You can post one line if it's spot on or if it pertains to the topic. Otherwise posting a whole paragraph will still get you penalised.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Hey BC,

I was going to reply but I forgot to read more than you headline at to what this is all about.

Actually I read each and every word posted here. Perhaps I understand most of what people what said about this.

What irks me most is the ones who reply only to insult me. Even if the title to the thread is asking for only those supporting ones ideas.

I think they and the one liners should be:

Edited because I like to edit

[edit on 24-12-2007 by Sanity Lost]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Here's an example of the one-liner type I don't like, annonynimous.
What does it tell but horrible abilities in expressions through the written word?

"was anyone else expecting it to be alex jones not that I hate him I dont but LOL"

It tells about the poster, but not the topic, which was about a media personality shot for political reasons.

As for the 2 cents posters, I always say (at least when they're OPs)

Sorry, no change

top topics

<<   2 >>

join