It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK troops return Basra to Iraqis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   

UK troops return Basra to Iraqis

edition.cnn.com

British troops on Sunday handed over responsibility for security in the southern Iraqi province of Basra, a major landmark in the scaling-back of the foreign military presence nearly five years on from the U.S.-led invasion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
what you guys think? this will reduce the number of suicide bomb attacks? or the iraqi troops will be able to control the terrorists?

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Enceladus]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think it may mean less suicide attacks, but because our troops aren't there, their won't be as many press staring at the area like they are wityh areas with troops in, so we may not hear about as many.

I doubt that the Iraqi army and police will handle it. They're better trained now than they were, but still corrupt to the bone.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Is happy that the british has handed over Basra back to the Iraq's. Bet one thing though, when they are withdrawn, they will be redeployed to afghanistan. To boost the contingient that is out there.

I can see this happening. Gordon Brown builds up thier hopes by saying he is withdrawin them from there. Then to dash their hopes by saying oh wait your going to the other conflict not going home..

And another thing, the americans could come into basra and help with security if it is requested. So maybe this will cause suicide attacks to increase.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is one of the biggest mistakes being done in Iraq as of right now.
Will it cut down on suicide bombers? You bet, but it will give militias the ability
to get a stronger hold on Basra. If the British troops were to stay there then the militias will have a tougher time fighting them in a pound for pound stance.
Once they leave it will be easier for the militias to fight the Iraqi army because
they are less trained then the British troops. You will see a mafia like gang in Basra within the next few months.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I have to agree with Equinox99,

Its great that its being handed over but i fear it will lead to long term suffering for the people who live there, I think the militents will take over and also as being reported there that womens rights are almost being taken by the day,

The root causes need to be taken away, and as this has not been done i fear this will be a bad move,

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

There have been 48 women killed in six months for “un-Islamic behaviour”. The murders in the teeming southern port of Basra have highlighted the weakness of the security forces and the strength of Islamic militias as Britain prepares to hand over control to Iraqi officials today.
Source

There will probably be more murders like this, but now that the British troops are leaving you will not see it reported.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Enceladus

whats your opinion?

what do you think will happen?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
Is happy that the british has handed over Basra back to the Iraq's. Bet one thing though, when they are withdrawn, they will be redeployed to afghanistan. To boost the contingient that is out there.

I can see this happening. Gordon Brown builds up thier hopes by saying he is withdrawin them from there. Then to dash their hopes by saying oh wait your going to the other conflict not going home..

Yeh that makes sense.

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
And another thing, the americans could come into basra and help with security if it is requested. So maybe this will cause suicide attacks to increase.

British forces can still enter Basra if requested.

Originally posted by Equinox99
This is one of the biggest mistakes being done in Iraq as of right now.
Will it cut down on suicide bombers? You bet, but it will give militias the ability
to get a stronger hold on Basra. If the British troops were to stay there then the militias will have a tougher time fighting them in a pound for pound stance.
Once they leave it will be easier for the militias to fight the Iraqi army because
they are less trained then the British troops. You will see a mafia like gang in Basra within the next few months.

Sounds a lot like the way forces left Musa Qaleh in Afghanistan and then it got taken over by the Taliban. The militias could use Basra to regroup and rearm, and just hide behind corrupt officials, who refuse to call in the Coalition to take them out.
Eventually the Taliban were defeated in Musa Qaleh, but they sat there for a year.
Steady progress made in Musa Qaleh offensive

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Either we turn Southern Iraq into a coloney or we let them control their own country.

We cannot babysit them anymore, the Iraqi's have elected their own government and decided the British are no longer welcome. Our time to leave.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Southern Iraq has been relatively quiet the last three and a half years. There is no reason to doubt that the Iraqi's can't continue keeping a lid on the place, especially if they follow the UK's lead when it comes to conducting their operations.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
Southern Iraq has been relatively quiet the last three and a half years. There is no reason to doubt that the Iraqi's can't continue keeping a lid on the place, especially if they follow the UK's lead when it comes to conducting their operations.

British troops will no longer be leading by example, it's upto the Iraqi security forces to manage everything. And seeing how easily they could be overrun, it's worrying, we're just going to end up going back in to clear it up again.

And I agree infinite, we have it or they have it, but providing militias a base to operate out of isn't the best plan.

join