It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MRE! (the great) R U Hungry? (meals ready to eat).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
If you don't know what a "MRE" is: An MRE (meals ready to eat) are the basic field food for the USA military personal.

However you can get your hands on MREs by buying them. Mostly they come in cases of 12, each box having 12 diffrent meals in it.

I just want to say, I love them.

Is there anyone else out there?

I just recieved a case, and I hadn't had it in my home for more then an hour before I had to open the case and pick a meal. I had me meatloaf with mashed potatoes.

Every meal comes with all the nutrision and calories a avrage person needs for the day, so that's a good survival food.

Anyone else love the MREs?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

Absolutely, nothing feels better like an MRE, specially after a day hunting down terrorist in the streets of Baghdad, being shot at and having bombs exploding all around you.

In all seriousness, I loved them too, not the veggie ones though, anything else is fair game.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by Incarnated

In all seriousness, I loved them too, not the veggie ones though, anything else is fair game.

For the most part, I'm with you there. However I've found the Veggies are not so bad in Menu B. Also I just bought a newer box, and they seemed to change the menus a little. Maybe they made the veggies more worth eating.

One pleasent shocker was in the last box I got there was cheese spread and cheese spread with peppers.

This time I found something NEW! Cheese Spread with Bacon. And that was some yumm yumm stuff.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I tried your American MRE (don't ask me where I got them)... tastes rather bland. I prefer my own country's MREs -- all spicy and hot. Yumm!

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Some of them are actually pretty good. There are some of them that come with a shake inside, god, I love those things.. They are freaking awesonme. Yeah, I was in the Army for a couple of years, so I know all about MREs.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Some of them are actually pretty good. There are some of them that come with a shake inside, god, I love those things.. They are freaking awesonme. Yeah, I was in the Army for a couple of years, so I know all about MREs.

That's funny as I've always put the shakes on the shielf and never ate them myself. Now that you state your love for the shakes, I guess I'm going to have to give them a try if I get them this time around.

I feel a case of MREs is like a series of days getting presents. Today I opened a package and percalmed loudly "M&Ms peanutbutter!"

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Incarnated, they are freaking delicious. Of course, I am addicted to sweets, so...:shk:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Are you in Australia Beachcoma?

If you are I hope I can ask where you got the Aussie MRE ?

I`m guessing here but would think they have a long shelf life and perfect for emergencies.

Where would you pick them up from,army surplus store or what?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Not Australia, Malaysia... not too far away. I've family members who are in the military. I join them for camping trips (not military related) sometimes. You can get them from the army surplus stores throughout the country as well. The chicken curry is the best.

Haven't tried Aussie MREs yet. Thai MREs are extremely hot. Do not eat unless you know where to get clay in the area (or you have clay tablets).

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Haven't tried Aussie MREs yet. Thai MREs are extremely hot. Do not eat unless you know where to get clay in the area (or you have clay tablets).

Thanks for the info

Though bummer for me,I like spicy food.

Have to say you lost me with the clay? unless it has something to do with the morning after and clay is resistant to liquid similar to sulfuric acid
?

Edit to add

Whats the date of expiry? how long do they last.

[edit on 16-12-2007 by gps777]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Incarnated, they are freaking delicious. Of course, I am addicted to sweets, so...:shk:

You think You're addicted to sweets? I just went and ate my M&Ms. i liked them so much I tore open and emptyed the contents of the rest of the sealed MREs just to find the sweats.

Now that's addicted!

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Have to say you lost me with the clay? unless it has something to do with the morning after and clay is resistant to liquid similar to sulfuric acid
?

Yep. Antacid tablets are basically sterilized clay chips. The active ingredients aluminium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide are basically the same thing as those whitish-blueish clay you can find in some parts of certain riverbeds. In the forests and other areas of wildlife, the birds can show you the direction to the best clay for that purpose.

Edit to add: on the MREs expiry -- I can't recall, but I do remember they last pretty long, so long as it's kept in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. You know, standard advice.

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Back in the 80s. MREs came in DARK BROWN bags. the later 80s MREs had an "Ham and Egg Omlet". I loved that meal.

I have even found some Dark Brown Egg Omlets for sale on Ebay, and knowing they were over 20 years old, I wasn't sure if I should buy it or not. LOL

I wanted to, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I didn't buy it. That was almost a year ago, and I still think to myself, "maybe I should have tryed it"///

Well, that egg omlet was awesome!

top topics

join