It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vista SP1 release candidate goes live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Vista Service Pack 1 is out and LIVE!!!

IT IS A BETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LINK:
fileforum.betanews.com...

This is a 436 meg download folks!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I haven't had any problems with Vista, (I had my only BSOD since I stopped using the release candidate last week because of disk access error on Media Player) so I do not see any need for installing the service pack, unless there is a good reason.

Do you know of a list of corrections and/or enhancements that this service pack brings?

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

You can google all the corrections it makes.

What I CAN tell you is it makes my vista rig boot much faster, MUCH.

Programs open and run faster.

It has made a big difference in performance.

You can wait till 08 for the final release, but you will be missing a big performace gain if you don't.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It's nice to finally be able to get rid of those pesky popups down by the clock reminding you to set that, change this, telling me all about the all abouts. Thankfully I get to test this software on computers that I don't have to worry about.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Interesting. Can you help by providing a link to the google search that shows the changes?

Why should we believe that MS isn't installing some kind of back door or more restrictive behavior?

Personally, I think the way to go is to install MS XP as a dual boot so that if something goes wrong with the Vista 'update/SP' you can still boot up and access the Net.

Many recall the 'blue screen of death' that happened with other MS sp updates a couple years ago.

I'll give you a star for your courage and braveness.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Thanks, I just asked because you could now about it without having to do any extra work.

After doing that work myself I found that Microsoft Technet has a page about the "Notable Changes in Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate".

Badge01

Why should we believe that MS isn't installing some kind of back door or more restrictive behavior?
You can always use specific software to look for "back doors".

What type of restrictive behaviour are you talking about? DRM?

PS: I have a dual boot system with Windows XP, but the last time I used XP in this computer was in December 2006, and it was just to play a game, I stopped using it since July 2006.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Arp, I agree with SP1 in vista, it really improves a lot as an OS, in most ways.

The one thing I did not see much help in is gaming.

So if you want to game, XP, else, Vista w sp1 is ok.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I am thinking about giving it a try this weekend.

My computer is too old and too slow to be of any use for recent games (I am limited to Unreal Tournament 2004, but it is faster than on XP), so if SP1 makes Vista faster I think it may be a good thing for my computer.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I WILL sped up your boot times as well as program performance.

That said, it really does very little to nothing for gaming...sorry.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I just installed SP1 Release Candidate.

It took 1h45min to install and apparently everything is fine, but the boot time has come up from 42 seconds to 2min:12s, so I think that I now have an even more fragmented hard drive than before.

And although the boot time is longer, start up times for the programs I tested (Photoshop, Word 2003 and Opera with 8 different pages opened) are slightly faster.

top topics

join