It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go home or go to jail, Lebanon tells Iraqi refugees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Go home or go to jail, Lebanon tells Iraqi refugees

www.timesonline.co.uk

Thousands of Iraqi refugees in Lebanon are being threatened with jail if they do not return to their war-ravaged homes, a rights groups warned yesterday.

As Iraqi refugees start to return from years of exile in neighbouring Syria, often propelled by tougher visa regulations or a lack of money, the 50,000 who have tried to settle in Lebanon face a grim choice between prison time and the danger of returning to their still violent country.

“Refugees who are arrested face the prospect of rotting in jail indefinitely unless they agree to return to Iraq and face the dangers there,” said Bill Frelick, refugee policy director of Human Rights Watch, which issued the report
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What kind of people would do such a thing.

Go home or rot in prison here... how terrible for those involved.

Can you imagine the uproar if a country like the UK did such a thing?
What possessed the Lebanon to issue such a statement? Have they been manipulated or just want rid of something that's not their problem.

Where has the humanity gone?

Is the Lebanon fearful of reprisals for sheltering Iraqis?

So many questions can be raised as to why or how, but their can only really be one answer, allow them to stay until things are more settled. Show a little compassion.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Is not reprisals what they are afraid of but with 2 million Iraqis exile and more the countries harboring this people have no jobs and no way to support This amount of human crisis.

US have in its budget money to help the countries that are harboring this refugees.

But I imagine that it comes with strings attach.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Perhaps it`s time for the USA and the UK to step to the plate and start providing some financial assistance to Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, and Iran for taking on a few million refugees each.

How many have the USA offered to take thusfar? 500? How about the UK?

It`s your war, after all...

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Perhaps it`s time for the USA and the UK to step to the plate and start providing some financial assistance to Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, and Iran for taking on a few million refugees each.

How about the billions spent paying for soldiers and building infrastructure in Iraq- think that debt is well paid, spare me the nonsense.

Quite ironic a Japanese person lecturing others on taking in refugees with Japan being one of the most ethnically homogenous nations (certainly in terms of developed countries) around

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

How about the billions spent paying for soldiers and building infrastructure in Iraq- think that debt is well paid, spare me the nonsense.

Quite ironic a Japanese person lecturing others on taking in refugees with Japan being one of the most ethnically homogenous nations (certainly in terms of developed countries) around

On the first point - Lebanon had NOTHING to do with your petty little excursion into Iraq. Nor did Syria, Iran, Jordan, or any of the other states that have taken in refugees. Claiming that you`re spending billions on reconstruction does absolutely nothing to assist the nations who have been saddled with double-digit population increases as a result of your WMD snipe-hunt.

Second, I`m a Canadian, living in Japan for 6 years or so now. Waiting until the holidays are over before starting the paperwork for my Japanese citizenship.... so the irony is a bit lost on me. Hopefully it`s not lost on you, though

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

On the first point - Lebanon had NOTHING to do with your petty little excursion into Iraq. Nor did Syria, Iran, Jordan, or any of the other states that have taken in refugees. Claiming that you`re spending billions on reconstruction does absolutely nothing to assist the nations who have been saddled with double-digit population increases as a result of your
WMD snipe-hunt.
[/QUOTE]

Well boo hoo, the UK is taking refugees on a large scale from countries which are not our fault- eg Somalia, Sudan etc, if Lebanon wants to deport them then that is their prerogative

[QUOTE]
Second, I`m a Canadian, living in Japan for 6 years or so now. Waiting until the holidays are over before starting the paperwork for my Japanese citizenship.... so the irony is a bit lost on me. Hopefully it`s not lost on you, though

It should not be lost on you, as the country which you desire to become a citizen of is one of the most homogenous (actually the most homogenous developed country) in the world- the US is a country of immigrants, so it needs no lectures from someone trying to be a citizen of Japan

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
War ravaged rumble homes I wonder what country did that?

must of been a Freedom Bomb spreading Freedom depleted uranium.

when will the Iraqis appreciate what america is doing for there country its not murder that killed there family it was Freedom murder.

Freedom for Iraq.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I can certainly understand the action of Lebanon, not too long ago they had to deal with a revolt from Palestinian refugees that cost the lives of many Lebanese soldiers and police,, and refugees too.

What they trying to avoid here is a human crisis like other poster said. Because is you have 2 million people and no plan to integrated them to your country or no way to sustain them, sooner or later they going to revolt, is a time bomb waiting to explode.

I think other countries should step up and help lebanon with this issue.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Lebanon is still trying to fix the crisis that their country was put on after the attacks by the Israelis.

How can they take care of refugees when they are barely taking care of their own.

This humanitarian crisis was created after the invasion of Iraq by our nation.

Actually wanted or not believe it or not is the nations involved in this invasion and occupation the ones responsible for the wealth being of the people of Iraq.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Lebanon is still trying to fix the crisis that their country was put on after the attacks by the Israelis.

How can they take care of refugees when they are barely taking care of their own.

This humanitarian crisis was created after the invasion of Iraq by our nation.

Actually wanted or not believe it or not is the nations involved in this invasion and occupation the ones responsible for the wealth being of the people of Iraq.

nice glossing over Lebanon's history, no mention of Syrian backed terrorism including the attacks on Israel etc

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Bad move, provide financial assistance to those countries, those Iraqis are going to stay in those countries forever. Then Iraq will have a brain drain with many people who are doctors, teachers, engineers, etc. that Iraq needs. Insurgents are going around killing these people and scaring them off, not much we can do about it.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Pointless and out of context, Lebanon is having a problem with refugees, Iraqi refugees not a crisis with their history or their alliances to Syria.

Deltaboy I agree with you on this one, is not way that the people that have left Iraq will comeback any time soon.

new topics

top topics

join