It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexpected down time to occur in the next 48 hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I've order a 1 gigabyte memory upgrade for the server. This will require about 1-2 total hours of downtime which will occur without warning at some point in the next 48 hours. This upgrade will allow more memory to be dedicated to the mySQL server which is our current performance bottleneck. In addition, there are several ongoing minor tweaks occuring to the Apache and mySQL server settings that will cause brief unexpected downtime through the next several days. I'll try to post warnings when the work is happening.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Again. This is the third downtime this month. We members are really putting a strain on the servers.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well... At least it'll only be for an hour or two. I don't think I could withstand another 36-hour drought.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Since when does it take 2 hours to install memory?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
more ram is always better

i run 1gig in this box 2700 amd rad97p

so its ganna have 3gigs now?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia Since when does it take 2 hours to install memory?
When you have to... 1) down the machine 2) pull it out of the rack 3) remove cover 4) put in ram 5) power-up and run RAM tests 6) power-down 7) return into rack 8) power-up test memory utilization of aps 9) return to service The vendor estimates 1-2 hours to be on the safe side.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
SO., thank you for the heads-up. I might schedule my week around this. Tomorow I do all my work.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

When you have to...
1) down the machine
2) pull it out of the rack
3) remove cover
4) put in ram
5) power-up and run RAM tests
6) power-down
7) return into rack
8) power-up test memory utilization of aps
9) return to service

The vendor estimates 1-2 hours to be on the safe side.

Sounds like our blasted Compaq rackmount servers. Takes twice as long to take it out and get the cover off than to perform the actual work. Grrrr.

At the growth rate you've described it sounds like ATS will outgrow this platform pretty soon. What's next? a cluster of servers? Should I start taking hitting up friends for spare parts and donations?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

Crack that whip Boss man.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreAt the growth rate you've described it sounds like ATS will outgrow this platform pretty soon. What's next? a cluster of servers? Should I start taking hitting up friends for spare parts and donations?
We're currently using the most powerful server available for a leased-rackmount dedicated server with our vendor... Dual 2GHz Xeon, 1 gig of ram. The machine supports up to 4 gigs of RAM and more RAM greatly enhances the performance of the database server. In theory, if we max-out the RAM, the horsepower of the machine can support almost 3x our current traffic. However... that's theory... and the core XMB queries are rather sloppy.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think you should starting saving some nickels in the piggy and open it to ATS donation (make the link more obvious and allow credit card donation, Pay Pal takes to long to set up). That way you can create custom board code or outsource to India and come back with a rock solid screaming fast database/message board system.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

We're currently using the most powerful server available for a leased-rackmount dedicated server with our vendor... Dual 2GHz Xeon, 1 gig of ram. The machine supports up to 4 gigs of RAM and more RAM greatly enhances the performance of the database server.

In theory, if we max-out the RAM, the horsepower of the machine can support almost 3x our current traffic. However... that's theory... and the core XMB queries are rather sloppy.

You should get a DUAL AMD 2.2Ghz 64bit Opteron CPU's!! Those would kick the crap out of the Xeon's.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I should... but can't. Not until a rack-space vendor who has reliable service and support offers them.
Another option is to step-up to BSD or RedHat Enterprise which are a bit better at multi-threaded type oprations. [Edited on 5-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
You know what ATS needs? A supercomputer the size of filing cabinet! Of course those things cost a bundle to buy.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
We just had a short bit of downtime as I discovered some issues withour name server settings, and needed to do some maintenance on our databases.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I like the concept of "unexpected downtime in 48 hours".

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

We just had a short bit of downtime as I discovered some issues withour name server settings, and needed to do some maintenance on our databases.

Yeah, I noticed. It seems like the downtimes always occur when I'm trying to make a post. It's....it's a conspiracy I tell you!!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yup I was in middle of posting too, but thats OK this is a great board and whatever you have to do to keep it up is fine by me.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I love your Avatar DarkHelmet!

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The RAM is installed, and I'm experimenting with RAM allocation to the database server. So far, it looks like we had a nice performance boost.

top topics

join