It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour Leader in Scotland to resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Breaking news on the BBC, the Leader of the Labour Party in Scotland, is to resign over the illegal donations from third parties to her election campaign.

Further pressure has been placed on Wendy Alexander to quit as Scottish Labour leader over the illegal donation to her leadership campaign.

Now this is breaking news on the BBC so I will post links as soon as I can.

Just goes to show she had something to hide. Wonder if she will face any charges over this?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Peter Hain has declared that he didn't declare now.

news.bbc.co.uk...

more dishonest donations? We'll see, he may just have ignored the law for a laugh. On a broader scale, has been a brazen but dishonest desire to not comply with the law that makes me wonder about the governing party.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by redled]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spencerjohnstone

I haven't seen anyone say she's resigning but it appears she's considering it.

In my opinion both Wendy Alexander and Harriet Harman have to go. The short term hit of losing them is better than the long term difficulties of keeping them both on. This is especially the case in Scotland where the gap between the SNP and Labour is just a single seat. If they keep Alexander then I think the gap will widen at the next election. A tough call for the Labour Party, but it's essential that politicians of all parties are clear about the consequences of accepting dodgy funding.

Once this issue is sorted out, I think it's also important to look at the issue of people like Lord Ashcroft making large donations to political parties (especially since he moved most of his money to Belize to avoid paying tax).

The whole issue needs to be looked at independently, and not by the political parties themselves of whatever colour.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652

The whole issue needs to be looked at independently, and not by the political parties themselves of whatever colour.

Don't bank on it, the political parties will just do a deal between themselves.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I know, and that's really the sad thing.

It won't be properly sorted out, it'll just be a temporary fix until the next party funding incident rumbles along.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

It's evolution, but not as we know it.......

top topics

join