It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baking Soda Could Help Save Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Baking Soda Could Help Save Planet

www.cnn.com

Today, a company called Skyonic announced a novel new system, Skymine, which uses the carbon dioxide emitted from smokestacks to make baking soda. According to Skyonic CEO Joe David Jones, the system will be powered by waste heat from factories, and will produce food-grade baking soda.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
popsci.typepad.com
www.skyonic.com

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Whether or not one believes in Global Warming, I think we can all agree that CO2 emissions need to be curtailed. This method presents an innovative and valuable means of not only cutting these emissions but also a way to convert it into some we use nearly every day in some form. I think this is brilliant.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure how this really helps. If they sell it commercially for baking, the CO2 would be released anyway. It can of course be sequestered underground as is, but where's the profit in that? Who will take the initiative if doesn't make money?

I don't know... I prefer to back something a little bit more commercially viable, like scrubbing smokestacks to feed algae for biofuel. Even though that still releases CO2, it's a hell lot more useful in it's application than baking.

Still, it's one additional way to skin a cat... what harm can an additional carbon sequestration method be?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
good point. Maybe I should the title to ATTN: All Bakers and Chefs - Save the Earth By Baking Cakes! ? I dunno, I think it's kinda catchy.
Baking soda does have other applications besides baking and I think the company is perusing biofuels as well.

Cheers!

apc

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
THIS is how greenhouse emissions should be curbed. Not through taxation or legislation, but capitalism! Waste is waste, and any way to reclaim wasted energy directly converts to profits.

Funny that some locales are trying to make baking soda a behind-the-counter item because of its use in illegal drugs.

I use it to wash my shower curtain.

top topics

join