It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Killed in Suspected Phone Battery Explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is really strange, I am not sure what to make of it except that I guess it's possible.

What are your thoughts?

Man Killed by his Cell Phone Battery?

A 33-year-old excavator driver was found dead on Wednesday in Cheongwon, North Chungcheong Province, after a suspected cell phone battery explosion, police said.

The man, identified only with his surname Seo, was found lying dead beside his excavator in a stone quarry in Cheongwon at 8:40 a.m. by his colleagues. His cell phone was found in his shirt pocket with its battery severely melted and his chest burned and fractured, the police said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
From now on my mobile is getting stored in my bag, instead of next to me

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I guess I shouldn't carry mine in my front pocket of my pants anymore.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

What happens if your phone rings? What are you going to do about it? Put it next to your head?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Maybe hands free sets are a good idea just in general

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It could've been a bootlegged phone that caused this, that's why. I haven't heard an incident like this happen in North America, though...

But again, I have created my thread relating to this, few hours ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No responses so far.....I guess that must mean I may be right.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

That's it. I'm buying original batteries now. No more Made in China batteries.

Edit to add: I suspect the exploding batteries were not original. Let me explain why.

Original batteries (here in my country) can cost anywhere between RM50 and RM90. The clones can be as low as RM15. Some shopkeepers sell phones with clone batteries inside. Most of them will let you know of it, and might try to offer you the original batteries (for an added cost, of course). The unscrupulous ones will just keep quiet about it and sell you the clones for the same price as the originals.

I suspect this poor guy bought a phone with the clone batteries. Whether he paid the same price or less is kind of moot. The point is he probably got the clone batteries.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Looks like more of this is going on than we here about.

Just another few links. One women was said to be getting compensated, but what if it leaves you permanently handicapped?

www.engadget.com...

Another person died the same way or even sounds worse in this article.

Man in China dies from Cell phone explosion

The Battery Exploded While The Phone Was In The Man's Pocket As He Was Welding At A Factory In Shuangcheng In Jinta County In Gansu Province, The Lanzhou Chenbao Reported, Adding That The Death Was Believed To Be The First In China Caused By A Cell Phone Battery.

The June 19 Blast Broke A Rib And Drove It Into The Man's Heart And He Collapsed In A Pool Of Blood, The Report Said. He Was Taken To Hospital But Died There.

The Manufacturer Of The Phone Was Notified And Dispatched Experts To Jinta To Conduct An Investigation

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Google Search on Cell Phone Battery Explosions

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
ive been racing radio controlled cars for many years now and race director/organiser for our local club for quite a few so i have a decent knowledge of batteries.
(im into nitro /aka gas cars for me, but they still need power for the radio)

Li-po batteries do not like being over charged, short circuited, damaged or bounced around. they are quite fragile and many have been known to burst + shoot flames, or just catch fire while charging or while in use.

some lipo RC batts even come with a warning tag suggesting you keep a bucket of sand and fire extinguisher handy

they can put out a massive amount of current in a short time, are very compact and light, and carry a large charge for their size when compared to regular nicad/nimh batts but any batteries can be deadly and not always as a result of misuse either.

i have seen some long time, very knowledgable guys have nicad/nimh batteries explode and fly across the room under regular charging rates and nicad/nimh are a lot more stable (safer) than lipo or li-ion batts.

many are reluctant to put lipo's in an offroad car at our club because they are known to be very volatile.

here is one example of a regular nicad/nimh exploding on a 20+ yr veteran of electric racing

im surprised many more havent been injured because of lipo or li-ion in a mobile phone.

[edit on 29/11/07 by Obliv_au]

[edit on 29/11/07 by Obliv_au]

top topics

join