It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOIA: Collection of UFO reports between October and November 1949

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
NM_OCT_NOV_1949.pdf
Report of Investigation
A collection of reports detailing various sighting observed between October and November 1949

Document date: 1949-12-07
Department: United States Air Force
Author: Lt. Col. Doyle Rees District Commander
Document type: Report
pages: 10

Archivist's Notes: A low to fairly good quality collection of documents. Though tough to read these seem to detail a series of sightings of very similar objects of various colors on various days during the months of October and November.

All of the sightings were in New Mexico near or on the Sandia Base and all the sightings (except one) were made by either military personel or Los Alamos employees. One sighting was by a Mr. Hillogos an employee of the Zia Company.

Another object was sighted by young children but a Mr. John F. Kalbach a Scientist with "group P-9" of the Los Alamos lab was also present at the sighting.

All of the object were spherical and ranged frome white to green, blue and yellow. Some had tails others did not.

All the witnesses seem highly qualified.

A couple interesting things to note in this packet are the following:

In the opening cover letter Lt. Col. Rees (I assume it's Ress) makes reference to the fact that "AFCSI letter #85 has not been complied with inasmuch as these reports were received from Mr. Sidney Newburger, Chief, Security Operations, USAEC, Los Alamos, New Mexico."

I don't know what AFCSI letter Number 85 is but I am under the impression that it's a letter detailing protocol on who and how UFO reports are taken. Though this is only speculation.

Mr. Newburgers initial reports are on the last few pages of the packet.

Also of note is the first report made by 1st Lt. John Bloomfield 8456th MP Company, Sandia Base.

Under "Comments of interrogater relative to intelligence and character of observer..."

The interviewer/person who took the report states that "Q" cleared by FBI in 1949.

Perhaps "Q" is bloomfields nickname.

Also the reference to group P-9 stands out as an interesting detail that may help a researcher down the road.

Again it seems that the military took this very seriously and at least in 1949 was forwarding reports and working with the FBI.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Researchers will naturally look into the names and dates more closely, but overall, these reports seem to be of a kind. Because of the number of these reports in such a period, we are again reminded of how often during this general time frame that sightings were made of something at least out of the ordinary.

The one report that stands out is the one referencing two objects "in tandem", as the chance of two meteors falling in pairs, and then curving away to disappear seems hard to postulate.

The name of Bloomfield is not referenced as 'Q', IMO, it is not a reference to a nickname; but a clearance level rating. I think that this shows that Lt. Bloomfield had a fairly sensitive job. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could comment on this aspect.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by NGC2736]

[edit on 26-11-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Just to clarify, you think "Q" was a clearance rating? Certainly makes more sense than a nickname, just want to make sure we're on the same page here.

spider

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiderj

I can't remember where, but in my reading, I'm sure that I ran across that as a clearance rating. There was no sign of the letter 'H' or I would have thought it meant the documents had been cleared by headquarters.

As it stands, I'm sure this has to pertain to the fact that the FBI cleared him to a 'Q' status, as it is in the line for the the FBI clearance.

And I have since edited my post to better reflect this as I wasn't clear in my presentation of this. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
interesting, i'm not up to speed on things such as "Q" ratings/clasifications.

Though it would make sense in some of the other documents I've been going through there is some reference and at times out right mention of the FBI either working with the air force or being cc'd on documents relating to investigations.

I would think the FBI would work in background checks in conjunction with the air force.

spiderj

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiderj

Well, at that point in time, J. Edgar Hoover was very mindful of the newly formed CIA, and he wanted the FBI to handle everything that had to do with intelligence inside the borders of the US. President Truman had told him it was his area, and the CIA had everything else.

So yes, if anybody did a background check with police and home town folks, it would be the FBI.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
what do i need to download so i can see these FOIA documents or whatever it is?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dahl

At the top of the thread there is a link to the download

new topics

top topics

join