It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galil assault rifle, any opinions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I am currently getting a Galil built by a company out in Colorado. Original IMI Galils are nearly impossible to get without taking a mortgage out on a house due to the import ban which specifically banned the Galil by name. An American company known as Ohio Rapid Fire has started producing the receiver in the US and apparently the dimensions are pretty much exact. I also have a Israeli Galil parts kit which was in average condition that was imported from some South American country. It's covered in cosmoline but the majority of the parts look like they can be used. Unfortunately I wasn't able to use a original IMI chrome lined receiver because that would make my rifle illegal as I wouldn't have enough American parts to make it 922 (r) compliant so I am using a American green mountain barrel which is non chromelined.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Galil, it is based off the AK47, or to be more precise, the Valmet RK 62. While it is very similar in terms of the AK, there are a number of differences. The Galil features a milled receiver, better sights (as well as night sights), upturned charging handle to use with either hand, better ergonomics (pistol grip), folding skeleton stock, and 35 round magazines for the .223 model.

There appear to be a few advantages over the original AK, while it's questionable if .223 is a acceptable round for combat use, the capacity is higher than a regular AK for standard magazines. You can also use AR15 adapters to use M16 magazines as well.

The Israelis no longer use the Galil except in limited roles for their tank crew. This could be due to the fact the Israelis receive m16's and m4's from the US very cheap or for free as part of their aid.

I have heard complaints that the Galil is too heavy, that is probably the major complaint.

The rifle seems to still be heavily in use in many South American countries (Guatemala, Columbia, Peru, and others), Estonia, South Africa, and a number of other countries.

An original IMI Galil costs anywhere from 2500 to 3000 dollars.

I paid the following

ORF Galil receiver : $350.00
Israeli parts kit: $250.00
Green Mountain Barrel: $100.00

$700.00 for the parts

Builder cost about $250.00

So I paid $950.00 total.

Did I make a wise investment? Does anyone have any opinions on the Galil?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Pill

congrats on the Galil while I am not at all familiar with the galil
I know that externally the .223 and 5.56 round are of the same dimensions
the major difference being that the 5.56 SAAMI CUP pressure of 60,000 while the .223 has a CUP pressure of only 50,000 the difference between the two can cause trouble with the chamber so you might be able to get away with using either ammo (.223 or 5.56mm) depending on the chamber..

anyway you probably were probably already armed with this knowledge but thought I would throw it out for comsumption.

again congrats on the Galil

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ah yes I've been told about that before not to use 5.56 in a .223 gun, although similar, there are a few differences with pressure which could be dangerous. My understanding is this applied mainly to arms marketed for plinking or what not.

For a military arm, it should be ok with 5.56 . The company that makes the receiver actually stamps them with 5.56/.223 although they say the receiver can handle both without a problem.

I've got both 5.56 and .223, so I'll see how they work in the galil. The prices of ammo have been going up like crazy so I'm stuck using crappy wolf and I don't like that laquer coating they use.

My main reason for going with the Galil is that while I do like the M16/M4 in terms of how lightweight it is, it is practically universal with all kinds of fancy stuff like optics, flashlights, pistol grips, and how accurate it is, I do not trust the M16/M4 reliability. Since I live in Florida (and there is a hell of a lot of sand here), I want something that is going to continue to fire no matter what.

While I like AK47's, I don't like their ergonomics and I can't say I'm a large fan of 7.62x39. The AK action just seems too violent, it's definitely not a tack driver either.

My main purpose for going with the Galil was that it has the reliability of the AK47 but yet it shoots a .223 and is much more accurate. I would like to add sights and while it is possible, the adapters aren't cheap. There are a few companys that sell all kinds of fancy rails and stuff for the Galil but they aren't cheap ($350.00!). I think using the iron sights should be fine. I haven't gotten my rifle back, I should be getting it back at the end of the month (soon) as the company is still working on it, headspacing, etc.

I am just glad I have the option of purchasing an affordable Galil as I have always wanted one.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by pill
So I paid $950.00 total.

If it's built as well as the IMI Galils (with machinery from Valmets Rk62 production lines) you made a good deal. Galil is probably the second best Kalashnikov derivative after the Sako Rk-95 and Rk-92 (later being the civilian semiauto variant). And since Rk-95s are even harder to get than Galils as they were only made for the Finnish army and as far as i know only ~50 have made their way to civilian market and Rk-92 costs around 2000€ (3000$) even in Finland (took the Finnish price since they are at least available here
)

If you want it to be really cool weapon get a Rk-62 styled butt for it, ergonomics suck, but it's a devil as a bashing weapon

Ps. If the action works too hard, installing a gas regulator screw into the gas valve usually helps. It has a way of improving accuracy too. and the Gas tube is supposed to be "rattling" loose when the gun is cold. If it's not, the accuracy will be very bad as the tube twists the barrel when it heats.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by northwolf]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf

Originally posted by pill
So I paid $950.00 total.

If it's built as well as the IMI Galils (with machinery from Valmets Rk62 production lines) you made a good deal. Galil is probably the second best Kalashnikov derivative after the Sako Rk-95 and Rk-92 (later being the civilian semiauto variant). And since Rk-95s are even harder to get than Galils as they were only made for the Finnish army and as far as i know only ~50 have made their way to civilian market and Rk-92 costs around 2000€ (3000$) even in Finland (took the Finnish price since they are at least available here
)

If you want it to be really cool weapon get a Rk-62 styled butt for it, ergonomics suck, but it's a devil as a bashing weapon

Ps. If the action works too hard, installing a gas regulator screw into the gas valve usually helps. It has a way of improving accuracy too. and the Gas tube is supposed to be "rattling" loose when the gun is cold. If it's not, the accuracy will be very bad as the tube twists the barrel when it heats.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by northwolf]

Yes my understanding is that the original Galils were built on Valmet Rk 62 receivers. I wonder if they used the AK magazines as well?

I guess Israel doesn't manufacture Galils anymore though, apparently Columbia is the only licensed manufacturer of the Galil now.

Burma apparently purchased the technology to purchase their own version of the Galil though

Also South Africa produces a unlicensed copy known as the R4.

Mine is not a true IMI Galil however, it is a clone, while it contains many Israeli parts, the parts that are not Israeli (due to American laws) are the barrel, the receiver (which is made by Ohio Rapid Fire), and the fire control group. All the other parts are Israeli.

There is some question though as to the long term of this receiver, there are rumors that the ORF receivers have had problems in the past. I can't say as I haven't fired one by ORF yet. Some people were complaining that the bolt lug recesses weren't correct and that the bolt only rides on the right side of the receiver so they are concerned about the safety. Others have mentioned that they have grinded the bolt lugs but grinding should not be an option. ORF has released a 3rd generation claiming they fixed these problems so we will see. Overall though, the receiver looked pretty high quality. Here is a picture of the receiver.

www.fwbairsoft.com...

This is the only legal way to get a Galil now (a new one), the only other way is to purchase a used one because I think in the 90's when Bill Clinton became president, they banned all imports unless they were for "sporting purposes" so because of this, the supply is diminishing but demand is increasing so price is going way up.

I'm not sure what equipment they use for the receivers but here is some pictures of the process of them building the Galil receivers in the US if you are interested.

www.fwbairsoft.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
You have made an excellent purchase especially at that price!
The galil is solid for sure. I was never a fan of buying a 5.56 rifle quite that heavy is my only real issue. But like you said in Florida it's pretty much something as solid as the galil or an AK type weapon due to the climate and geography. Hopefully someone will come out with some chrome lined barrels for them soon. As to the 5.56 vs .223 issue brought up your galil will happily shoot milspec rounds. Unlike the new CSAR AUG which they made for .223 chamber specs in the first round. Alot of people are real mad at spending 2600 dollars for a gun that can't fire milspec ammo.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I JUST BOUGHT A CENTURY ARMS GALIL, SUCKER IS THE BEST SHOOTING WEAPON I OWN,AND I OWN 35 DIFFERENT AR 15S AND AK47 AND M1:S, AND MINI14,AND KEL-TEC, AND HK91,

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
Unlike the new CSAR AUG which they made for .223 chamber specs in the first round. Alot of people are real mad at spending 2600 dollars for a gun that can't fire milspec ammo.

It's MSAR (Microtech Small Arms Research) and the rifle you are talking about is called the STG 556 as in 5.56mm which is what it's chambered for.

www.msarinc.com...

I've even heard people say they have problems shooting non mil spec stuff because it doesn't make enough gas to cycle

They also had a list price of $1999 if I'm not mistaken which you can find them for, but I have seen several sell for $1300 or so

[edit on 14-1-2009 by warpboost]

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
all you need to know about the galil: it comes with a bottle opener and barbed wire cutters. why noone thought of putting those two things on a rifle sooner...

top topics

join