It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oak Island Could Give Up It's Secrets Soon!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Wouldn't it also be the perfect ruse to keep other pirates off their trail? Dig a hole and put in some traps. Throw in a few coins, and run off with the loot, but tell others you buried it on Oak Island. Competitive pirates would go to Oak Island and dig looking for treasure while the pirates who had it went away to spend it. Since it is so complicated, there has to be something down there would be the thinking. Meanwhile, the pirates who dug the pit are living on an island paradise with the loot.

I just don't see burying your hard fought stolen loot to not spend it.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well Oak Island IS interesting. Buring treasure does allow one to avoid losing treasure in common accidents which- at that time - shipwreck were a known and deadly peril.

Considering the amount of time and the depth the searchers have gone to. I'd say there was nothing there. I'd even say there a hint of fraud too. The whole story could be myth. Not that people didn't dig there but that some of the evidence was made up.

Evidence does exist (or does it) for the water channels so one is left with a big ???.

[edit on 27/8/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

HANS SAYS: Evidence does exist (or does it) for the water channels so one is left with a big ???

And I'm the one living in a "paranoid fantasy world." ?
[laughing back at you... and pretty sure I'm not alone]

REPLY TO KIDFLASH: While there is nothing worng with the idea of using misdirection to throw others off the track, I'm not sure I can get down with your theory as it seems a bit of a stretch given how elaborate the pit and traps put in place are.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

how elaborate the pit and traps put in place are.

If all those reports were valid. You seemed to have glossed over the fact that the previous expeditions went down (72m) 236 feet and found nothing. In particular they didn't find what was reported by the auger.

What is your opinion on that?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Reply to Hanslune:

If all those reports were valid. You seemed to have glossed over the fact that the previous expeditions went down (72m) 236 feet and found nothing. In particular they didn't find what was reported by the auger.

My opinon is that you are referring to 'Borehole 10-X' which was dug in 1976, 180 FEET NORTHEAST of the Money Pit, to the depth of 237 ft.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
So Twisi are you claiming that the pit wasn't dug out to bedrock at the depth of 180 feet (55m)?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hmmmm.. if I remember the legend correctly... That treasure will not be found till that island takes a certain number of lives ( A number not yet but almost reached) and every oak tree on the island has to die(and I the time a read this story the island only had like 15 oak trees left). I'm glad to see this but fearful for those mens lives...

Keep us updated OP. I look forward to seeing what this pit will yield one day.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Hans, you are in poor form today. First you get all ah-hah! uppity with me wanting to know my opinon about your statement of:

You seemed to have glossed over the fact that the previous expeditions went down (72m) 236 feet and found nothing.

And are now seemingly backtracking (and certainly feinting and dodging this time) with:

So Twisi are you claiming that the pit wasn't dug out to bedrock at the depth of 180 feet (55m)?

Ummm...no. I'm not saying that. And it is unlcear to me how you can contort logic to even suggest that, considering I am the person person who put a graphic on the thread (that shows the depths dug at the ACTUAL SITE) with a link that has a comprehensive history of the site and excavation dating back from the late 1800's.

So stop trying to put words into my cyber-mouth. Your post was inaccurate, take the hit.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Until today, I never heard of this interesting location.
I like to find new and interesting places, but am sad that the property owners have kept it off limits.

Why not open it like many other "strange" locations and just gate / fence / cordon off the work zones?

I passed the link to a friend who grew up in Canada and they were even puzzled by it. ( And hadn't heard of it before )

Thanks for the thread. I know I'll keep a link to the website to keep updated.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
You seemed to have glossed over the fact that the previous expeditions went down (72m) 236 feet and found nothing. In particular they didn't find what was reported by the auger. What is your opinion on that?

If you don't mind me stepping in, they certainly found a few links of gold chain because two people I know have held them in their hands...and I believe one of them was given a link by Blankenship. So...there's gold...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Per your post, Hanslune was erroneously referencing a hole that Blankenship/Trillion dug 180 yds. NE of the the Money Pit site; hence there being no compariable archaelogical and geological evidence.

Does your friend have any other info regarding the excavation attempts or when the gold he/she acquired was dated to?

Cheers!
TWISI

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This is a list of thing found

Below you'll find a listing of the artifacts found, or allegedly found, on the island. Many of the artifacts have been lost and are known only through writings left by early searchers or writers.

Copper coin, bosun's whistle, and iron ring bolt imbedded in a rock at Smith's Cover - 1795-1802
Inscribed stone
Gold links - 1849
Remains of the old cofferdam
Wood and end of a keg pulled out when the Pit collapsed
Blue clay
Parchment
Anchor fluke of ancient design - 1931 - since disappeared
Dump with thousands of broken pottery flasks
Rock with "1704" inscribed on it.
Nail, washer
Scissors, heart stone
Original cofferdam - logs 2 feet thick up to 65 feet long with Roman numerals marked on them.
Nails and metal-straps
Leather shoes
3 drilled rocks and ask piles analyzed to be burned bones!!!!!

The link

Remind me Twisi not to ask your opinion of things in the future. LOL, My reference didn't mention that the site was oft set. That is why I asked you about it. You seem rather combative. Did someone spit in your soup today?

Oh and you left out of your quote of my remarks the most important part

So lets try again - as you understand it. That after 200 years and 30+ attempts no one has actually dug to the bottom of the pit? Is this correct?

[edit on 27/8/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Wow
I have never heard of this island till just now. I watched the video and that is something I will keep an eye on. Thats so interesting. Especially the layers and the water with the human form.. Thanks for putting me onto this!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Thats a really good point. Pirates were crazy about their treasure, so whats to say they didn't intentionally try to offset other pirates??? That makes a lot of sense to me, good point!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Of course the problem is - how could pirates constructed such a place (if the information about it is correct)? and more importantly how would they have recovered the treaure?

200+ years and 30+ attempts and essentially nothing has been found.

I do wish the new guys good luck but I won't be surprized at all if they find nothing.

A skeptical view might be:

Pirate treasure was believed to be hidden in the area.

Three men found a sinkhole and assumed that it was the top of a pit that had buried treasure in it.

They dig perhaps as deep as 30 feet and give up.

The oral reports evolve until by the time anyone writes it down it includes an inscribed stone found 90 feet down.

Over the years repeated reprintings of the legend obscures the fact that for over 60 years the discovery of the pit was undocumented and creates the impression that the pit's early history is a matter of historical fact and not mere legend.

When the pit floods with water do to natural channels in the ground it is assumed to be a complex man made trap further solidifyign the idea that the pit hides a great treasure.

When it was realized that pirates almost certainly did not dig the pit, new theories were invented to explain it.

Coconut fibers which were probably the remains of old pakaging material are found on a beach giving rise to the theory that the beach was artificially made as part of a sophisticated "filter" that allows water into the pit.

People become so predisposed to believing that something is buried in the pit that scant evidence such as blurry underwater pictures are accepted as proof that items such as a severed hand or wooden chest are at the bottom of the pit.

Discussion on Oak Island

Another good quote from the site above

While the results have never been published, interviews conducted with the scientists reveal they were unconvinced of the existence of the fabled "flood tunnel" and believed the flooding of the Pit was of entirely natural origin.

A modern account of a visit to the site

the money pit

An exellent site that although incomplete gives a historical background-with original documents to Oak Island.

Oak Island history

[edit on 28/8/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Continued

Oak island video (images) from 10-x

A comment on the present diggings at the pit

It would seem efforts are concentrated further north than the original Money Pit as three holes have been dug - one to 160 feet and two more to a huge depth of 300 feet.

March 2008 diggings

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I know it was a lot of work. There was enough treasure for the pirate captain and his crew to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. Why not invest a month or more to build a ruse, then split the treasure with the crew and go on to their lives in a very nice area with a Native woman as a wife?
As I said, when you take on a mystery, you have to try and think like the people behind it. It doesn't make sense to risk your life getting the loot only to bury it all in a God forsaken pit on some island. I would think most of the crew would not support that and would kill the one suggesting it and take his share. I also would not want the owners of the loot continually looking for me, so I would make them believe it is in a deep pit that is difficult to retrieve said treasure.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Another interesting tidbit

September 9

A newspaper article (likely in Halifax) appears about Carl Mosher. Mosher says in about 1925 his grandmother showed him a wooden trunk containing about 25 heavy white canvas bags of gold. His grandmother was Lucy Vaughan, relative of Anthony Vaughan, one of the diggers of 1795. The trunk was said to have come from Oak Island. At some point, Uncle Edward Vaughan took the trunk, and disappeared, leaving his property, business, wife, and family. [4.215]

Amusing the oak island chronology

Robert Dunfield starts work excavating the Money Pit. Digging gets to 140 feet deep, with a width of 100 feet.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
reply to post by JohnnyCanuckDoes your friend have any other info regarding the excavation attempts or when the gold he/she acquired was dated to?

Not sure if any date was pulled from the links..I doubt it because they came from an auger. I'm sure the depth is on record somewhere. What was 'intuited' (if one permitsthe word) from the link, I don't know as I was unable to complete a follow-up.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtmouse32
Until today, I never heard of this interesting location.
I like to find new and interesting places, but am sad that the property owners have kept it off limits.
Even though the island proper is private property, I must admit that Mahone Bay is a beautiful place to visit, particularly in the fall.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join