It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Government Launches New Reviews Into Taser Stun Guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Canadian Government Launches New Reviews Into Taser Stun Guns

www.foxnews.com

The latest death was of a 45-year-old man at a jail near Dartmouth. On Oct. 14, a Polish man who had just taken his first flight died after he was stunned twice by police at Vancouver's airport — an incident caught on video that elicited international outrage.

More than a dozen people have died in Canada after being hit with Tasers in the last four years. However, the manufacturer of Taser guns says they have never been conclusively linked to any deaths in Canada.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Welcome to Canada, just don't act distressed at the airport because your mother hasn't showed up to pick you up, and for god sake make sure you can speak the language.

Canada is going to review the use of tazers in it's country, and I think it's a good thing. What do you wanna bet that here in America this will never happen because of special interests groups will influence lawmakers to just avoid this topic altogether.

Good For you Canada.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I dont think too much is going to come of this.

To be honest, some cops need those tasers. You go down to Toronot on the weekend to a club, the entertainment district is packed with people. Ive seen some takedowns in recent months involving violent (most likely drunk or high) people and I have to say tasers in those instances were completely necessary for the cops to keep control of the situation.

That being said, there are far to many incidents where tasers are not warrented and such was the case with this polish immigrant. For the record, I dont know what the answer is.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
That being said, there are far to many incidents where tasers are not warrented and such was the case with this polish immigrant. For the record, I dont know what the answer is.

I'd say it starts with proper screening of new cops, then proper training of those cops. I saw the video of the Polish dude and it was disgraceful. The cops were just too damn LAZY to do their job properly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing cops here, just those ones. My old man was in the RCMP. I haven't talked to him lately but I'd wager he'd say the same thing.

I hope something DOES come out of this.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'd say it starts with proper screening of new cops, then proper training of those cops. I saw the video of the Polish dude and it was disgraceful. The cops were just too damn LAZY to do their job properly.

I agree, with proper training, screening, and oversight the taser issue can be resolved.

I hope something DOES come out of this.

So do I, but untill adequate oversight is used and punishment handed out, I fear nothing will change.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
So do I, but untill adequate oversight is used and punishment handed out, I fear nothing will change.

There's a HUGE outcry about this up here. Those cops WILL be held accountable.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
There's a HUGE outcry about this up here. Those cops WILL be held accountable.

Thats actually very good to hear.

Too many times do such abuses happen and the only punishment dished out is a paid suspension or a transfer.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It would seem that Taser does promote heart stress despite what Taser themselves previously have claimed... and the Taser "doctors" flown recently to Vegass. COI. Rick Smith will be on the hotseat in Ottawa. A study out of Chicago was conducted on porcine victims. Seems they couldn't find any humans stupid enough to want to absorb Taser-juice for the full 40 seconds.

From the link to the CBC news piece.

"It says that the effect of the Taser shot can last beyond the time when it's being delivered," he said. "So, after the Taser shock ends, there can still be effects that can be evoked and you can still see cardiac effects."

Some pigs died as quickly as three minutes after Taser. The CBC: Chicago study calls Taser's safety claims into question

I'm sure Taser will shoot back electrifying the minds of those who would favor continued use.

To be sure, I'm biased though, a Taser strike would likely kill me.

Vic

[edit on 30-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

top topics

join