It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcos exoskeleton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

The best one I've seen so far. I think if the US somehow manage to overcome the price issue, this will not just revolutionize combat warfare, but also how all of us are going to live our everyday life.
What I'm thinking is, the US will be able to compete with China in mass production, if the US can make this thing economically viable.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
What I'm thinking is, the US will be able to compete with China in mass production, if the US can make this thing economically viable.

Human-shaped exoskelitons are not the kind of thing you want to have in terms of repeated, industrial heavy lifting. That's what more specialized machines are for. As powerful as this is, a repeated task is far more efficiently performed by specialized equipment than by something specifically modeled to fit and flow with humans. Most pure strength tasks are already machine-done already anyhow. You don't normally have excessively buff people hired at manufacturing plants to move 300lb tanks around. And this doesn't help at all with precision tasks; direct human hand control is far more versatile in terms of agility and opposable thumbness than implements that a pirate might use when his hand gets cut off.

This is for use when non-longterm-repetative tasks need doing with efficiency and strength.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The technology is very young still and requires several years refinement.

This hardware is demonstrated for it's capability to assist a soldier (even though they don't mention what the thing is actually used for, which is hauling more ammo, armor, weapons).

The only purpose this exoskeleton may have is to allow the soldier to become even more fierce and more destruction in his own right, a true army of one.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

WOW just like Halo in 10 years our soldiers will be wearing this. Well...not ours but whatever the ruling class is then..

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rhombus24

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. But Sarcos plan this armor to have dronelike capability (last part of the video). Basically it will be a robot when the wearer not using it.

reply to post by uberfoop

reply to post by ShatteredSkies

I'm thinking what rhombus is thinking, I guess I'm just ahead of myself. Who knows, maybe it'll come true.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I CAN'T believe Raytheon already beat me to this!

I'm thinking of buying Sarcos and Shadow Robot Company of UK.

Raytheon Purchases Sarcos' Robotics Technologies

Recent development

Sarcos humanoid robot learns how to take a shove

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

One is in process now.........for underwater use not a force multiplier but will take a diver to -3000 that hands are done and work just like yours do more or less gloves it all works free of power using water psi to produce over pressuer. Cannot detail to much now.

But it is made in Canada.

I have a photo link to his last suite prior to this undertaking.

I dove this 440 feet for 14 hours a day for week it is self propeled the new one is man shape and flexible can carry in a hand bag this weighs 975 and requires a crew.

But its a nice ride. Why 14 hours if you dive for oil company the get the total dive time you advertise this wilkl go self contained for 48 hous if power lost.

I wrote here as Mil will be A#1 for use.

My guess US Navy.......

Hows it look think Batman suite.........body tight.

www.jim70340.fotix.net...

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I really think that in years to come this technology will start to be used more in warfare like people have said. One soldier would have a lot more power than normal. Perhaps they will eventually evolve into suits with weapons built in.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It's the same idea as a humanoid forklift that Ripley used in Alien 2 Pretty cool in that it is as far along in design as it is. Who knows, it could even find its' way into civilian hands one day.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by triplepoint

It kinda looks like Bioshock's Big Daddy. After all it's a diving suit.

Thanks for the info triplepoint.

reply to post by Cynic

It's the same idea as a humanoid forklift that Ripley used in Alien 2

That's what I was thinking, too. And the later version of the exoskeleton looks like Master Chief's armor in Halo.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by triplepoint

a bit more info on the deep dive suit, which is after all an exo skeleton designed to protect man from a fatally inhospitable environment

en.wikipedia.org...:Training_with_a_Atmospheric_Dive_Suit.jpg

and the site wikipedia got its info from...

www.navy.mil...

i'd like a go in one of these.

i thought a rebreather was great after using conventional scuba... imagine what this doohicky is like!

top topics

join