It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 - a question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Hello,

would a serious researcher (believer or skeptic, preferably both ; )) of this stuff care to tell me WHEN exactly did this calculation - conversion into the Gregorian calendar - take place, when and where did "esoteric" interpretations of it start appearing and the like?

You wouldn't believe how time-consuming even an internet search for its origin can be (well, would be, if I let it ; ))!

And the thing is, I remember there was practically no mention of this at all (I mean in the media and pop culture in Europe at large) prior to 1995 or thereabouts.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
And, when 2012 has gone by, and nothing happens, what other theories are we going to listen to. I mean, is there other events to look forward to when this one fails to happen?

Isnt this like the 10001 time someone has predicted the end of the world as we know it?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It is NOT the actual end of the world. People believe in many things such as the bible. Most do not believe word for word. They believe that truth lies between the lines. Don't take it for what people say it is. Take it for what it really is. It is a end of one way of thinking and the begging of another. This has happened throughout history. It is the only way the world has ever changed. Why would you belive it to not be happening now?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by tep200377
Isnt this like the 10001 time someone has predicted the end of the world as we know it?

Actually, the millenarian "movement" of 1000 A.D. seems to have been grossly exaggerated by modern history. In other words, all those purported "fears" may have not been widespread at all - IF at all.
I remember reading about it in a French (I think) history book.

But I get your point, of course.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by St.Joseph
It is a end of one way of thinking and the begging of another. This has happened throughout history. It is the only way the world has ever changed. Why would you belive it to not be happening now?

Oh, I do, I do... ; )
Frankly, I never thought of 2012 in terms of "end of the world" - but that may be because I seldom think about it at all...

ALTHOUGH... if there is anything to it - and considering the fact that it is inscribed on the "Sun stone" AND that (for this very reason) it relates to time - I would not rule out the possibility of time "ending" in a very physical way... something happening the Sun itself: the giver of light, the giver of time.

But, anyway, first and foremost, I'd like to find out where this story - i.e. our current Western version of it - originated...
Remember? ; )

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
You might enjoy this thread:

Mayan Calender Research

Of course there are lots of 2012 threads listed in the 2012 Thread Index. While it's not an exhaustive search of this site. It's a link to quite a few good threads on this subject.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Thank you very much!
That's very thoughtful of you.

And I am sure many others will find it instructive, too. ; )

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
DBates, that has got to be one of the funniest avatar pictures that i've seen yet.

Yes there have been many groups that thought that the sky was falling in human history. However, this 2012 thing has so many facets to it that it is hard not to worry about the future.

For instance, in 2012 the asteroid Apophis, that at one time was claimed to have been scientifically calculated to hit earth, will be within view again enough to fully calculate whether or not it will actually hit the earth. Well my friends, that asteroid is on a constant earth passing trajectory.

I think that it is highly possible that in 2012 the world find find out the truth that the asteriod apophis will hit earth sometime in the near future. No matter where the calculations suggest that the asteriod will hit, it will cause nations around to globe to stir with activity. I think that the 3rd world war may begin becuase a powerfull country like china will find out in 2012 that they are in the direct path of a major asteriod.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hot_Wings

Thank you for replying, HotWings.

I am still trying to sift through the massive "evidence" to find out when exactly did this subject "break out", as it were...

I find it intriguing that this subject suddenly popped out into the public (or should I say media?) awareness. It can't be just because of the date approaching.

I wonder, did anyone here - except experts in such things, obviously - even hear about it before, say, 1990?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
P.S.

Amazingly enough, I cannot edit my original post anymore.
(Really, moderators: I appreciate eagerness as much as the next < insert position of choice
>, but I must say, this is going WAY too far...! ; ))

I just wanted to add a post-scriptum (within my original post) making it clear that I am not looking for information about the calendar itself or about the predictions as such, but rather about the origins of its presence in our "Western" public awareness.

To put it very plainly: how come we (meaning yours truly and every single person I've talked about this) never heard about it before cca 1995 (take a year or so)? ; )

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Seems a lot of folks are looking at 2012 ... from what I've read they're looking for a messiah ... I'm thinking this messiah will be the beast or antichrist ... Condie Rice wants a mid-east peace in 2008 ... when we have peace in the mid-east it will be a 7-year treaty signed. 3-1/2 years into this treaty the antichrist will come forward and declare himself god. We're looking about 2011-2012 ... maybe. As far as my savior, we have no idea when He'll return for us! Only God knows!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
According to the USA today news paper, a nationally reconized news source, through a very skeptical view that date is stated as Dec21 2012.

www.usatoday.com...

Info derived from college researchers.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by St.Joseph
It is NOT the actual end of the world. People believe in many things such as the bible. Most do not believe word for word. They believe that truth lies between the lines. Don't take it for what people say it is. Take it for what it really is. It is a end of one way of thinking and the begging of another. This has happened throughout history. It is the only way the world has ever changed. Why would you belive it to not be happening now?

You took the words out of my mouth my friend, I agree with you 100%, I do believe something will happen something major but that doenst mean it will be a bad thing.

top topics

join