It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOIA: W.B. Smith memo on Canadian geomagnetic research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Smith_Memo_Nov_21_1950.pdf
W.B. Smith memo on Canadian geomagnetic research
Canadian researcher discussing geomagnetic research yielding limited ability to extract energy from the Earth's magnetic field.

Document date: 1950-11-21
Department: Canada Department of Transport
Author: W.B.Smith
Document type: memo
pages: 0

Archivist's Notes: Some text of poor quality. Top secret and confidential marks. Notes US feedback of flying saucers are highly classified, believed real and significant. Handwritten mark of "Smith memo" and circled date. Marks that refer to memo of 15/9/69.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
-crude electro magnetic generator

-runs of the earths magnetic field (Tesla?)

-created in 1949

-self sustaining design has been put on paper

-hope to study "reaction forces" ("UFO" engine )

-alleged "UFO" in the possession of the U.S.

-discreet inquiries allege
1 more classified then the H-bomb
2 flying saucers exists
3 the propulsion systems are unknown but being sought after
4 it is of tremendous significants to the U.S.

-the research to be keep in the Canadian department of transportation

though it was difficult to read at times, the context was that they had some success with geo-magnetics, and plans for a larger device, and that the device (on paper) had similarities to reported UFO of the time, and that they are willing to share with "interested bodies" ( ie the U.S.)

[edit on 16-11-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The "Smith Memo" is one of the more highly controversial documents from this era. This document offers an insight into the possibilities that many were thinking of at the time when everyone was wondering what was flying around our skies. This document is often used as a source that many in the government believed that UFO were real. However W.B. Smith was not in the U.S. Government and was in the Dept. Of Transportation in Canada. None the less, he was a brilliant mind that many had respect for.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Quite an interesting memo. I've not seen this before, but something that caught my eye was the reference to Vannevar Bush, I thought that was a name I'd seen before, and it was. He was claimed to be a head of MJ-12.

However, it appears this memo had been published in 1979 (Arthur Bray, The UFO Connection, 1979) whereas the MJ12 documents came to light in 1984. So it doesn't add any credibility to MJ12, as if MJ12 is a hoax, they could have added the Vannevar Bush connection based on prior interest in the UFO community.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I got a really quick question. How come this document has no markings that say it is "Unclassified"? It looks like it was classified "Top Secret" when it was written back in 1950, then is was downgraded to "Confidential" in 1969.

So when was it downgraded to "Unclassified"? If this is a real "Confidential" document then someone just broke the law by posting it in a public forum. I have never seen any US gov't documents released without an "Unclassified" stamp on them. Does Canada do things differently? I also thought that this document came from the US gov't, so did they also forget to downgrade this document?

I also don't like that the word "Confidential" is hand written. This is the first time I have ever seen a hand written classification change. I would think that a previous "Top Secret" document would be important enough to address the downgrade properly. Once again, is this how Canada performs a classification downgrade?

If you ask me I think this is a faked document since it doesn't look legit compared to the genuine US documents I have seen.

What am I supposed to think since there are errors that don't make sense? If there is anyone who can help clarify things for me please do. I cannot help discuss what is written if the document itself isn't credible.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Top Secret (TS)
The highest level of classification of material on a national level. Such material would cause "exceptionally grave damage" to national security if publicly available.
Secret
Such material would cause "serious damage" to national security if publicly available.
Confidential
Such material would cause "damage" or be "prejudicial" to national security if publicly available.
Restricted
Such material would cause "undesirable effects" if publicly available. Some countries do not have such a classification. (The U.S. did, early in the Twentieth Century, but dropped it in favor of Confidential.)
Unclassified
Technically not a classification level, but is used for government documents that do not have a classification listed above. Such documents can be viewed by those without security clearance.

Depending on the level of classification there are different rules controlling the level of clearance needed to view such information and how it must be stored, transmitted, and destroyed. Additionally, access is restricted on a "need to know" basis. Simply possessing a clearance does not automatically authorize the individual to view all material classified at that level or below that level. The individual must present a legitimate "need to know" in addition to the proper level of clearance.

Source Wikipedia

Freedom of Information in Canada PDF

top topics

join