It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEATH by the Common Cold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
A mutated virus is killing people right here in the Us and its not treatable with antibiotics.

I wasnt aware, until i heard it on CNN. Well, i have a horrible cold that wont go away and now i'm worried.

Does anyone know anything further about this?

I have to go to work now but if anyone has further information, i would appreciate it!!!

There have been quite a few deaths now, and its not anything more serious than a cold!!!!

Anyone? Is it treatable???

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
the MSM channels, take your pick,

are reporting that this 'cold' has been around since the mid-late 1950s
and there's only been a dozen or so cases identified in all these years.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I thought for sure before even reading the article that this was going to center around a Rhinovirus or Enterovirus found in the Picornaviridae genus type, mainly because they have an ssRNA genome and account for over 50% of cold like symptoms. I figured that a Rhinovirus was the main culprit due to the high virulence of RNA genomes contained in a capsid of the four viral proteins. However, upon reading the article it appears that an Adenovirus is responsible for the infections. I should have known this because although Rhinoviruses typically account for more infections and have a larger variety of serotypes, Adenoviruses have non-segmented dsDNA which is far larger than an RNA based virus which in theory would allow it to carry a larger array of genes.

Subspecies B:2, which includes Adenovirus 14 (AD14) mentioned in the article, has apparently evolved slightly to gain a significant advantage over the host cell. Typically, most species of Adenviruses hijack the Coxsackie B virus Ad receptors (CAR for short) or the CD46 receptors found on the cellular membrane of human cells. However, since they do not mention it in the article, Subspecies B:2 has not shown any capability to bind with Coxsackie B virus AD receptors like species A, B:1, C, D, E, and F. It would appear that the real difference in this possible new subserotype of AD14 would be with DNA replication or an acquired ability to bind with CAR, as most Adenoviridae already possess the ability to enter through the cell membrane. An educated guess would lead me to believe that the new virus might be able to block interferon cytokine production, which would effectively negate the antioncogenic properties produced by Macrophages and Lymphocytes.

If the article is in fact true then I would be very intrigued to hear more about this development. Here is a bit more information for anyone not familiar with the Adenoviridae family:

www.microbiologybytes.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me that this is just hype and sensationalism on the media's part

THere are 51 types of Adenoviruses and new techniquesare being developed all the time to identify them.

It is the "common" cold afterall.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I too think this is hype stirred up by the media. Overall, not all that many have died and some people have extraordinary circumstances which cause tragic deaths of unexpected origin. Another thing to consider, which I think has been mentioned, is that these organisms are alive and adapt to their environment like we do.

Have you actually spoken to your doctor about your illness?

As always, get plenty of rest, increase fluid intake, and try to reduce your stress.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yeah Im getting very sick too.. Just started 2 days ago.. My family was warning me about the "deadly" colds..
But to me this is just more fear.. Or to get you primed for that all mighty flue shot.. Dont get it.. IMO

Im not getting a flue shot.. I just am trying to keep a postive outlook on my body and mind.. Get lots of water and rest..
Ive taken off work, becasue working in a kitchen I cant be around the food at these times of sickness..

Take some time, get some rest, and do what you need to do.. But dont you worry about getting killed over a cold.. Its more mental to scare you into your docs office to buy buy buy.. spend spend spend.. Tis the way of this world..

[cough] [cough] This is horrible feeling.. I hate being sick.. Only happens to me 1 time a year.. Its normal to be sick 1 time a year.. Anything more means you are either using to much anti Bac soap. or washing to much.. Now thats a broad statement.. But for those who know about those agents that kill germs.. Makes germs stronger in the end..

Yes folks being over clean is a good way to make virus stronger..
A little grime and dirt makes you more healthy.. Now not flithy or dirty, but you get my drift?

[edit on 16-11-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm going to stay the best thing you can do is increase your consumption of raw foods because it will help boost the immune system. Plus, I found this recipe for a homemade herbal flu remedy. I'm making it this weekend. Hope you feel better soon!!

Grab a few handfuls of the following, all fresh: ginger, onion, horseradish, garlic, & lemon. Roughly chop them up and pack into a 1-quart canning jar, leaving a few inches at the top. Add anywhere from 1/2 to 2 teaspoons (or more if you like it really spicy!) of cayenne pepper. Cover with organic raw apple cider vinegar. Cover the top of the jar with a square of waxed paper before placing lid on, then seal. This is to stop the acid in the vinegar corroding the metal lid.

Shake well and leave on your kitchen counter, out of direct sunlight. Every time you walk by that jar, give it another shake. You may also want to talk to it, sing, recite poetry, smudge sacred herbs, dance, tell it a good joke or whatever you like to make your medicine more potent.

For two weeks, shake the jar and do your magic. At the end of two weeks, pour it through a kitchen strainer, wash your canning jar out well, and return the liquid to the jar. You may want to add, at this point, a few tablespoons glycerin (which will give it a pleasant sweetness, a nice foil for the hot, tart taste) or honey. If you add honey, you’ll need to refrigerate it, but glycerin requires no refrigeration. I strongly recommend buying some 2 ounce dropper bottles because you’ll want a bottle a your desk, in your kitchen, by your bedside, and in the car. Use liberally to boost immunity, fight infection, soothe the throat, open the sinuses, stimulate circulation and energy, and generally improve health. Add to soup or salad to spice them up and give a boost-though I usually just drop it directly into my mouth.

Source: Herbal Alternatives to the Flu Shot (Part 1)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think this article is relevant to your post.

Virus starts like a cold — but can be a killer
The emergence of the virus is the latest example of how new, potentially dangerous pathogens can suddenly appear.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I am not giving medical advice nor am I endorsing any product, but, I will say that I use herbal remedies. Some of the herbal remedies I found to be helpful for colds and flu symptoms are: Colloidal Silver and or Silver Biotics (liquid), Aerobic Oxygen (liquid), Oregano Oil (Vcaps), and Echinacea (Vcaps). You can research the info for them online.

new topics

top topics

join