It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decision time for US over Iran threat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Decision time for US over Iran threat

www.guardian.co.uk

Iran has installed 3,000 centrifuges for enriching uranium - enough to begin industrial-scale production of nuclear fuel and build a warhead within a year, the UN's nuclear watchdog reported last night.

The report by Mohamed ElBaradei, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), will intensify US and European pressure for tighter sanctions and increase speculation of a potential military conflict.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Here's hoping that this doesn't lead to a blow up (figuratively and literally) in the region. But it is disturbing to see them continuing forward with this plan when the international community is screaming for them to come to the table.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Expect to see more and more of this fabricated war-mongering as Bush prepares to nuke Iran.

Even if there were 3000 centrifuges thats a long, long way from a bomb.

And having a bomb is a long, long way from actually using one.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
Expect to see more and more of this fabricated war-mongering as Bush prepares to nuke Iran.

Are you saying that the U.N. fabricated its report stating that Iran has 3000 centrifuges with enough material for a bomb within a year?
What does Bush have to do with the UN report?

Even if there were 3000 centrifuges thats a long, long way from a bomb.

Yeah, 1 year. Not that long.

And having a bomb is a long, long way from actually using one.

Not for the loonies in Iran.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

The loonies in Iran eh? So you think we should go to war with them. Even though they pose no real threat to us. We should just go to war with every country thats trying to make nukes eh? If , IF iran were to use nuclear weapons they would be kissing there own ass goodbye. Do you understand this? I think there a little nutty, but not nutty enough to sacrifice themselves for...??what? wiping israel off the map, and wipe themselves off the map? nooo, they are trying to make nukes to protect themselves from nukes, I think they have the right to protect there own skin from us. and not to mention israel and pakistan who already have nukes. North korea. Riddiculous.

Who are we to judge them? And who are we to say what they can and cant do anyways? We need to stop this.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What's nutty is the hypocrisy of this nation. No other country can have nukes, eh?

That would give the criminals at the top of the US a power over the rest of the world that is nightmarish in its potential for abuse.

And if there's one thing I find to be predictable, it's the ability of criminals to abuse power.

I want ALL nuclear weapons to be dismantled. I say we have the right to invade another nation for having nukes only after we get rid of ours.

Only then would I support actions taken against nuclear-armed enemies.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Even if, and it is a very BIG If, Iran were to engage in a "crash course" effort, utilizing every single last gram of Weapons-grade enriched uranium they could produce, it would take at least one year for them to have enough enriched uranium to begin developing the material into a workable nuclear weapon.

Then of course, they would have to detonate the device to be sure that their design worked... and that they had put the thing together correctly.

But then, even if it works on the first try....OOPS!

They've just used up ALL their enriched uranium!

Back to the centrifuges for another year!

Yeah, right. Like the rest of the world is going to allow them to do that,

Now that they have PROVEN their intent.

And note; I said PROVEN, as in by action. Not merely been accused of, by fear-mongering western powers, driven by agendas not likely to be beneficial to the likes of you and me!

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravytrain
The loonies in Iran eh?

Yes! eh?

So you think we should go to war with them.

I think we should remove their nuclear capabilities.

Even though they pose no real threat to us.

That is NOT a correct assumption.

We should just go to war with every country thats trying to make nukes eh?

Yes, every country that is run by Islamic Lunatics, eh?

IF iran were to use nuclear weapons they would be kissing there own ass goodbye. Do you understand this?

Crazy Islamic extremists don't think this way, hence why they are crazy lunatics. Do you understand this?

Who are we to judge them? And who are we to say what they can and cant do anyways?

Using your logic lets allow people convicted of murder the ability to own a gun. Who are we to tell them what to do right?

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
But then, even if it works on the first try....OOPS!

They've just used up ALL their enriched uranium!

Back to the centrifuges for another year!

Umm....Did you ever think the first test might just actually be in a real world test, like in Israel. Secondly, the capabilities that we think they have is only what we know of. Lord knows what is being done secretly which we know nothing about.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Where in the Constitution does it give us the right to invade a country who has not attacked us?

You war mongers are the ones with issues, what makes you any different then the loonies you speak of? its war, war, and more war, thats all that is on your minds, The saddest parts is its all coming from the Christian "turn the other cheek" right...

can you say holy war? again I ask what makes you different from them?

I find it funny no one ever considers you know being friends with these nations, rather then invading, Installing puppet governments, influencing them for our own personal gains and profits that only the rich corporations reap the benefit from while we foot the bill... in both financially and physically for those poor men and women who die in wars that don't in any way shape or form represent the oath they took to protect the Constitution of the United States...
But being friends with them is kinda hard when you destroy that card through the actions above, Just like our soldiers in combat don't fear the gun of the man beside him, we wouldn't need to fear the nukes of Iran...

[edit on 15-11-2007 by C0le]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Im happy for Iran to have the bomb.
The middle east needs SOMETHING, ANYTHING to limit the drive of America in that region.

We just proved, we're willing to lie, murder and devestate some of the oldest civilisations on the planet, for our 21st century greed.
Over the last 4 years, 9 months... it seems the lies that were used to dupe us are practically a joke...
How did we POSSIBLY make the mistake, of believing saddam had, and was deploying active chemical and biological weapons?
Yet, now we are meant to 'trust' the intellegence agencies again when they say Iran is walking the same path as Iraq?

America has undertaken a RADICAL new policy, not seen in this world since the Nazi's in the late 30's.
By America, I mean Bush, Cheney and the other maniacs.

Id much rather let Iran have a nuclear weapon, than allow the United states in todays day and age, especially with previous undertakings to be given leeway in activley attacking and replacing middle eatern governments, primarily on the basis that they are a threat to Israel.

Who are we, to decide what nations should be allowed to aquire certain technologies? We setup the United Nations to monitor world proceedings, back in the 40's.... as a direct answer to Hitlers attrocities..
and it seems, we are the only superpower, to activley refute and aggresivley discredit them because we wanted to undertake a radical new mentality that war is ok, so long as the other person 'could' be a threat to Israel.

Ever notice how the only ones gaining from Iraq, are the corporations involved? I sure as hell am not, Iraqi's sure as hell arent, all the immediate nations around Iraq are suffering immensly...
Just who the hell has benefited?
Israel, The US government and Corporate entities.

Its these same 3 beings that believe striking Iran would be a postivie.
Before it even begins, I can assure you it wont benefit me, iranians, or the surrounding nations.

War is meant to be an absolute LAST resort.
Its meant to be such a last resort, that you dont even have a question of waging it or not.
Its so dire, that not going to war, results in worse bloodshed and suffering, than waging war.

Yet, here we are, activley arguing and debating ON AIR, on our corporatley, government cosy media that waging a war with Iran would be benefical.

That immediately designates this as an illegial war.
We have time to convince people the positives... its not dire, its chosen.

Why do people still trust these men:

Where as this is much closer to the truth:

If you allow them, to hijack your country further, get used to these sites:

american graveyards like this will be common around the world.

And men like this:

Will hold Moral superiority over the west, simply because of The American governemnts actions.
One thing I fear more than the outrageous use of force from the US government, is a world controlled by those 2 men.

Russia and Iran, along with china will not hold prosperity and peace as high as the western world did up to 2003.

Do you really think, we got here because this man:

wanted to hurt us?

Or because this man:

deliberatley led you here!

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dionysius9
What's nutty is the hypocrisy of this nation. No other country can have nukes, eh?
I don't think that that statement is true. We haven't demanded that Britain, France, and all the other nuclear nations disarm.

America is making a subjective judgment about which kinds of nations should have such weapons. We make such judgments all the time; it is the same kind of subjective judgment that says "all nations [or no nations] should have such weapons."

[edit on 11/15/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

We have to also consider that enriched uranium is used for power generation
also it is not just for weaponry we enrich more uranium than anyone else in the world the majority of which is for nuclear power plants.

Granted Mahmoud I'm-a-jihad is nuts but I don't think that everyone in the middle east is nuts and if you do all I can say brother is you have lost all faith in your fellow man..

It's kinda like saying all Americans only care about money, while there is a large portion of Americans that only care about money there is an even larger percentage of us that are not like that..

Respectfully
GEO

[edit on 11/16/2007 by geocom]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It is decision time as far as Iran is concerned, the only problem is-- the decision really has nothing to do with Nukes, or a threat to Israel, or the Mahdi or whatever. All that crap is just the public story to hide the truth behind it all, just like with Saddam.

Iran has been selling petrol in Euros, and Yen for almost a year now, and if we don't close up shop, other people might think that they can get away with the same sheite.

For better or for worse, the U.S. must project it's power or face a complete and total meltdown.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This article was posted in another thread yesterday (I cant find that thread right now, will look for it and edit it in if I can find it) And a very astute member (Copernicus) posted the FULL reuters article.

In a disclosure likely to alarm the West, the report said Iran's number of centrifuges enriching uranium had soared 10-fold in the past year to 3,000, a level that could start industrial output of nuclear fuel.

But Iran was running the centrifuges at very low capacity, a senior U.N. official familiar with the report said.

Even if Iran fed uranium into 3,000 centrifuges at maximum rate for long periods, technical skill analysts believe Iran will need some time to achieve, it would need about 18 months to produce enough fissile material for one bomb, the official said.

Source

bolding mine.

If Iran is really trying to build a bomb, their doing it stupidly slow.

As for the poster who said what if the test was in the real world. Well if the test fails, they've just dropped 18 months worth of undetonated enriched uranium on an enemy country. Doesnt exactly work out the best for Iran does it?

Edit to add:
1) Found the thread U.N losing grip on Iran
2) updated member name who found article.

[edit on 16-11-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
Umm....Did you ever think the first test might just actually be in a real world test, like in Israel. Secondly, the capabilities that we think they have is only what we know of. Lord knows what is being done secretly which we know nothing about.

So out of all the countries in the world you think it's Iran that should be stopped? And not.. let's say... the US?

How sad that you really see it that way. It makes me wonder, do you realize this idea you have is just planted there by propaganda? Or are you unaware of that?

Shouldn't you be taking a long and hard look at what your country is doing to the world right now? But let me guess, you were fooled about the WMD in Iraq, you were fooled about the so called terrorism problem in the world, and now they are fooling you about Iran being a threat to anyone other than the local boys band.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If Israel or the US bombs Iran, then most of us on this forum will be dead within a few years...

Quit your war mongering and realise that this difficult situation needs some serious thought.

No nation on earth wishes the destruction of their own people, if one nuke is used, almost certainly there will be retaliations on a global scale... That not even the NWO could control.

The time of peace is coming, just hold on a little longer...

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
We have to also consider that enriched uranium is used for power generation also it is not just for weaponry

True but if Iran was in a power generation crisis, they would just be building more oil refineries. I believe they only have one main refinery. They are NOT going to use enriched uranium for power generation, they will use it only for weapons, IMHO of course.

but I don't think that everyone in the middle east is nuts

Neither do I and I have never said anything close to such a statement.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Yes! eh?

They are no more loony than our politicians. They are in it for personal gain. In reality, they don't give a damn about the war against israel. You can believe that they don't believe in their own BS 99% of the time.

People with power are people with money. People with the money are often more concerned with keeping that power by money than moral or ethnic wars.

I think we should remove their nuclear capabilities.

And where do we get the right to do that? Its "our way or the highway" message to the rest of the world? No wonder our country is going under.

Even though they pose no real threat to us.

That is NOT a correct assumption.

No it is not an assumption at all. They don't pose any real threat to us. They have no missles that can reach the US, or anywhere close to it. They have no nuclear subs as far as I know that would ever get in range of us. Let me guess though, "they will give them to the terrorists who will bring it to the US and blow us all up!"

Yea, and if they managed to pull that off, I would be alot more pissed off at my government. Not because they didn't invade iran, but because after 9/11 they still can't even prevent a nuclear weapons from getting into our country, but they can prevent me from bringing toothpaste on an airliner.

Yes, every country that is run by Islamic Lunatics, eh?

Islamic lunatics. Oh ok, this isn't a war or terror, it is a war on islam. We aren't after all terrorists, just the islamic fundamentalist ones. All the other muslims are just collateral damage, right?

Crazy Islamic extremists don't think this way, hence why they are crazy lunatics. Do you understand this?

Either do crazy fundamentalist christians, but we voted one for president. As far as islamic extremists, Iran's government is not going to sacrifice itself. Im not basing that on logic, Im basing that on them and their history. They are playing politics, and thats all there is to it. Don't just watch the news, analyse their actions. Don't think about what they are saying so much as what they are trying to achive through it.

They aren't brainwashed fundamentalists who worked their way into power. They are power hungry politicians looking to maintain their power base.

Using your logic lets allow people convicted of murder the ability to own a gun. Who are we to tell them what to do right?

Um no that is no logic. The logic you are using is "Lets take away some ones ability to own a gun cause they might murder somebody." Iran isn't a convicted murderer. The US, if anyone, is the convicted murderer in the nuclear world. We are the ones who used the nuclear weapons on another countries cities, not Iran.

We should allow them to continue with maximum suspicious and a watchful eye. The intelligence agencies should pick up their game.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

True but if Iran was in a power generation crisis, they would just be building more oil refineries. I believe they only have one main refinery. They are NOT going to use enriched uranium for power generation, they will use it only for weapons, IMHO of course.

you do realize oil trade is pretty much the key to their development as a nation. Without that, they would have nothing of value and be nothing more than a desert between pakistan and africa.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join