It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again Doomsday cult

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A russian Doomsday Cult has holed up inside a cave to wait for the end of the world.

news.yahoo.com...

I don't think the Russian Government will exercise patience with these nuts.

The Leader has been reported sleeping in a coffin for several months
Why do we keep getting these people with death wishes?

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
THe article stated this about thier situation.

At least 30 members of a Russian doomsday cult have barricaded themselves in a remote cave to await the end of the world and are threatening to commit suicide if police intervene, officials and media said on Thursday.

"They have covered the entrance and refuse to come out and are threatening to blow themselves up," an official in the local prosecutor's office told Reuters by telephone. "They threaten to detonate a gas tank and blow themselves up."

They believe May 2008 will mark the end of the world and they plan on staying there until then.

Is this going to be another Waco? History is full of end timers who seperated themselves from society and followed a charismatic leader to their death. When are people going to stop putting their trust in imperfect men?
I wonder how many would leave the cave if given the opportunity? In cases like this many feel intense peer pressure or even threat of death if they question the leaders beliefs.

Pity the poor children.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I just feel sad for the children. If the grownups want to kill themselfs, fine, thats their right. But when children are involved, it makes me feel very sad. This is obviously not a decision they would make if their parents wasnt involved with this sect.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Bunch of nuts.

If the world is going to end, why hide in a cave anyway? I'd be out living, spending time with my family and friends.

What a bunch of whack jobs.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
No pity required

People need their beliefs. Sometimes, when a belief is strong enough, people will be motivated to do certain things for it. For some, this means exploding in spectacular ways, and taking your audience with you. For this group, it's seclusion.

Now, the thing is, I wouldn't call them a Death Cult; the article states that they plan to await the end of the world, and will only commit suicide if the police intervened. As this is a situation involving (a unique group's) beliefs, I don't think the police should intervene anyway. Let them be! When they run out of supplies, they will have to decide whether to get more, or starve (and freeze) to death. So, rather than question their intellect or sanity, perhaps we, the 'uninvolved', should allow them the dignity of making their choices. Confrontation like this might end with them deciding to starve to death, in defiance of the world that watches them.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
According to this report those hiding in the cave include:
25 adults and four children, one of them a 16-month-old baby.

www.guardian.co.uk...

The temp s reported to be 17C . They authorities are trying to bring in family members to talk them into coming out. I feel this is going to end badly.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Lets just say thaat they are left alone util May 2008 rolls around...czn you imagine what conditions would be like in that cave. 6 months of isolation, consider the health of the children....ie sanitary conditions.

Unless conditions are verified to be suitable for the welfare of the children, I think the government should apply as much pressure as possible to get them to release the children.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think it is interesting that they feel that Government issued tax identification numbers are equivelent to the "Number of the Beast"

A refusal to pay their taxes, might be all the incentive the government needs to flush them out. Given the animosity the government has with the influx of new religions in that area they might desire to make an example out of them.

There seems to me to be a worldwide trend toward intolerance of religions, cults or sects that are not Mainstream. I wonder if the Russian Orthodox Church will make a statement regarding their plight.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

you bring up a logical point,

but do you also recall that the AQ and the honchos including Bin Laden
all were doing well, under seige, in a cave up in the cold altitudes of Tora Bora, (i think thats the mountain ranges name)

and OBL was thought to have need of a dyalisis machine,
a pretty sopisticated piece of equipment to be used in a cave environment...

As For:
this small party of zealots, with several young children in tow,
they sure wouldn't barricade themselves for a 6 (or longer) month stay
in some primitive setting they could not hope to sustain themselves in...
would they?

the reason for their excaping into a safe cavern in the first place...
would seem to be 'to survive' the end-time destruction,
and carry on human life from their 'tribe' of believers...

so i think the suicide threat is just a statement to emphasize their committment & purpose

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Those are good points St Udio.
According to one source the cult leader or leaders had stocked the cave with all the supplies they would need. It does seem strange to me though wthat they would decide to hole up in the cave 6 months before the end is due to come.

I think it has more to do with the Government cracking down on them for other reasons.

Most end timers believe in a scenario where the government comes to attack them or kill them.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Does anyone have any specifics as to why this guy thinks the world is going to end? I mean, you would think he must have a pretty good case for it in order for these people to live in a cave 6 months early.

I am always interested to hear the details behind events like this.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
As the world worsens, things like this will only increase...
It's to be expected.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
as an orthodox christian myself i find this deeply concerning. any kind of mapping out of the end times is discouraged because it cannot be done. and it is how one lives ones life that should be the primary focus anyway. and suicide is well as in most religions....definatly not something that is accepted at all.

i dont know how people come up with this stuff and then find people who buy into it and even more startling want to get their children involved. if i had a child (only 22 hoping for one someday) the second i heard you have to commit suicide to do something, i would say "ok thanks, thats enough for me, i dont care if this god is real im not playing this game F*** That!"

things that make you go hmmmmm i guess

kind regards,
digitalgrl

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Digital, that's fine but that's not really how these cults work. Generally, there is no precipice that suicide is to be committed. Somewhere down the line, it winds up going in that direction.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
most cults work by the same formula. i never said suicide was a pre-requistive of sorts. i was merely stating that if i heard my religious leader mention anything about suicide i would jump ship. thats all

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I also find it interesting that theer leader is not in the cave with them.
Maybe he can give some reason for asserting that the end would come in 6 months.

I would love to be able to interview him. I can surely understand their discontent with the Russian Orthodox Church though.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Here is a little more info on the cults leader.

Mr Kuznetsov is a trained engineer from a deeply religious family, who declared himself a prophet several years ago, left his family and began writing books and recruiting followers. His group believe that, in the afterlife, they will judge whether others deserve heaven or hell. Followers are not allowed to watch television, listen to the radio or handle money.
news.independent.co.uk...

What amazes me is that their leader is able to convince them to take such drastic action. I guess the isolation plays a big part in his manipulation of them.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
here is the latest info on the Doomsday Cult in Russia'

uk.news.yahoo.com...

It looks like their time is running out. Despertion and a realization that their scenario is not going to play out according to plan will no doubt cause the leaders of this group to bring about their own doom.
Sad.

The Kommersant newspaper quoted a policeman as saying the shots were fired after he had tried to help cave dwellers who said melt water had dislodged earth in the caves and they were afraid of being buried alive.

[edit on 25-3-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Did anyone ever hear how this ended? With the way things are going, maybe they just got the year wrong?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The last thing I heard on this was that the people all left the cave and went home. The leader is still in state custody. It appears that two women died while "holed" up in the cave. All the children appeared to be healthy. Thank God.

Here is a video of the Russion Gov't blowing up the cave:

However, it appears another doomsday cult has sprung up in the same region to take it's place.

Crazy world!!!

edited for proper video embed format.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by Sparky63]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join