It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada Supreme Court upholds spanking law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The supreme court in canada further defined parent's right to spank their children. In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court of Canada stated that: "Spanking is acceptable for children between the ages of two through twelve. Objects should not be used. Blows and slaps to the head are not acceptable."

But anything else is fair game. Teachers can spank your children as long as they use "reasonable" force.

www.cbc.ca...

[Edited on 30-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Spanking is acceptable for children between the ages of two through twelve.

Hit those who won't hit back. Good Job Canada supreme court.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I got spanked when I was growing up for doing really stupid stuff and I turned out just fine. (umm.. i think)

anyway, I do feel parent should have the right to discipline their child. and as long as it done in the proper manner in the right circumstances, I think it is fine. If my kid tries to touch a flame, I am gonna smack his hand and tell him no.

The problem only arises when people take out their personal frustrations on their kids, or don't know how to discipline properly without it becoming abuse.

But basically I applaud Canada's decision to give that right to the parent.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I got spanked too, and I think I will turn up pretty good. But there isn't anyway a 13 year old is going to the police station and complain that his parents are abusing him, after being abused for 13 years.

Why not just tell the kid not to touch the kid? If he doesn't listen tell him again and again and again. Or just let him touch it, he will feel and will never touch it again.

Take the flame example, it is going to hurt and so is hurting the kid, what is the difference?

Hurt from touching the flame will make the kid think twice before touching again, but the hurt from you spaking will begin hatred on you.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
that's alright surfup, I rather spank my kid and prevent him from getting hurt, than having to take him to the hospital and pay doctor and hospital bills...sorry that's just me.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Good, let the feel good warm and fuzzy parents do it they way they want to.

Go ahead, raise nasty disrespectful kids, it's your right.

But don't tell me that I can't spank my kids, cause I do, and will.

Somtimes they need it despite being otherwise awesome kids.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
that's alright surfup, I rather spank my kid and prevent him from getting hurt, than having to take him to the hospital and pay doctor and hospital bills...sorry that's just me.

Gee...who do I know that have the same idea?

*coughs...my parents...coughs*

[Edited on 30-1-2004 by surfup]

top topics

join