It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien City On Mars? Check This Out!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

A few pages ago I pointed out that the original (unaltered) version of the thread-opening-picture displayed straight symmetric lines that cant possibly be of natural origin.

That's because nature didn't create them. The JPEG compression algorithm, applied to the image map used in the rendering, did. This has already been covered quite well by ArMaP, Internos, et al. They used raw image data of the area in question, side-by-side with the undoctored "city" pic, to show there is nothing unusual to be found. Please review the thread after your post for their findings.

A few posts later you simply responded with something like "nope".

Hmmm... Doesn't sound like me. Please provide a link.

Care to elaborate?

No. But I have a project for you.

ESA used this picture as an overlay for terrain data in order to create the 3d landscape purported to contain evidence of "civilization". You may notice by the "jpe" file extension that this picture has undergone JPEG compression.

Please download the picture and open it with Photoshop or whatever image editor you use.

Now adjust the color saturation up by 33%.

Zoom in 200% and start moving around the picture.

What do you see?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by s_barrett
o yeah, just pixelation. just happens to look like a friggin Aztec temple, sure it's just a trick; like the squadron of UFOs that hovered over the capital in 1952.

I assume you're talking about this photo, which you see cropped most of the time only to show the dome. Yeah, it's interesting, but it would be a lot more impressive if the two rows of "UFOs" didn't line up so well with the two rows of lights at the foot of the building, indicating that they're some kind of odd reflection.

Good analogy, though. Shows how easy it is to misinterpret an image.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Yep, sure fooled Harry Truman and thousands of eyewitnesses, and somehow triggered airport radar sensors too.
Here is another trick, generated by your heros at NASA?:
www.ufoevidence.org...

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
reply to post by ArMaP

ArMaP, a star for you, man! That made interesting reading.

But the point still remains - that if I can read my car's number plates through Google, beamed by satellites hundreds of miles up in space, then why not from the multi billion dollar Mars probes?

Here’s something for comparison. This is the blow up of the Mars pic you posted - so called high res.

And here’s a satellite image of San Francisco from about the same distance that the Mars orbiters take their images from. Why the horrendous difference in resolution? Why don’t or can’t we use the same technology? Why not the 1.5 or 2-foot-pixel resolution satellite imagery?

Courtesy: DigitalGlobe

Cheers!

There is no source on your elevation on the picture of San Francisco vs Mars Photo. They do not even look close.

Are you joking?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheInfamousOne
There is no source on your elevation on the picture of San Francisco vs Mars Photo. They do not even look close.
Are you joking?

The image was taken by DigitalGlobe's current satellite, QuickBird, which orbits at an altitude of 450 kilometers, and has a 60 centimeter resolution, covering 290,000 square miles a day.

The High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) on ESA’s Mars Express orbiter has a ground resolution of approximately 15 metres per pixel from an altitude of approx 270 kilometers.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by flice

On the 3rd image there's a spot that my eyes immediately interprit as a certain structur:

[edit on 8/11/07 by flice]

[edit on 8/11/07 by flice]

this is interesting. it does look a lot like a stepped structure. at first glance it seemed to be pixilation, but with the new cameras, i would seriously doubt it.
this is the first i have seen of this picture. definitely worth investigating.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
You know what those pictures remind me of is the steps of Chichen Iza or Mayan Temples. I think I may spot some pyramids there but who knows. It could just be pixel tricks playing with our eyes.
I thought Mars was the hottest planet, or perhaps they are just making that up eh?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Internos - those pics are amazing!!!! great find!!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by counterintelligence1

Say there, you need to read the guidelines for image sizes. Your avatar is about twice as wide as is allowed.

It's a cool avatar, and I do like it. But I don't have a monitor that will handle it and the text. (I live in a third world country called Arkansas, USA We don't have all those fancy new wide screens here very much.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by counterintelligence1

Say there, you need to read the guidelines for image sizes. Your avatar is about twice as wide as is allowed.

It's a cool avatar, and I do like it. But I don't have a monitor that will handle it and the text. (I live in a third world country called Arkansas, USA We don't have all those fancy new wide screens here very much.

Heck, I had to toggle the output from the 21 inch computer moniter to my 42 inch plasma display panel in 16:9 mode!! And even then it flew out of the screen!!

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
his avatar is awesome.

i think we should allow it.

iattackpeople?
stabby?
he does seem a bit aggressive doesnt he?

i think he has an interesting sense of humour!

armap, its not us doing it!

i just find it very amusing,and the longer it goes on ther funnier ile find it.

i understand the implications,but its funny to me none the less!

[edit on 14-11-2007 by wierdalienshiznit]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

That is true, but I wonder why you ignore the images from HiRISE with a 25cm/pixel resolution.

Oh, and regardless of the quality of the picture in an avatar, it should follow the rules about size (and the forum software should ignore images bigger than the allowed), I had to remove all images to see the right side of the posts.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Here's another from Valles Marineris, adjoining the area of the 'Temple' pic I posted some pages back taken from HiRISE.

Courtesy: ESA

In grayscale...

[edit on 14-11-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tep200377
I hate top brake it to you, but this is just JPEG compression lines. NOTHING else ...

Yup, exactly that. I have seen many pictures that have been compressed with lossy-compression such as jpeg, and thats EXACTLY what the compressions look like.
One dead giveaway is the colors of the patterns: It's like a diffused rainbow.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

Thanks for taking the time (which is actually really appreciated) and also assigning homework to me.

I hope we are talking about the same picture though. I was referring to the TOP picture in your response-post on PAGE 7 of this thread. This picture has apparently not been doctored (unless I am mistaken).

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Here's a vid of the images...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
That hasn't been doctored in any way by marsanomalyresearch, but IS already affected by the effects of the jpeg artifacting, and not only: the straight lines that you are seeing there, took place after some steps, including the CG processing in order to generate the rendering on a 3d model (which "stretches" the original image, and NOT only) and the jpeg compression which took place in the same moment they converted the original format to jpeg.
The only way to confirm the actual presence of the "temple" there, is to find it in the frame # 3 of this image, the ONLY original, undoctored, unresized, unenhanced etcetera one that we have so far: if we are able to, we can confirm it, if we aren't, there is NO WAY to to confirm it, since the "false" images says "is there" and the "real" one says "there is nothing there".

Pleaese, don't think that i'm happy of this conclusion, but the truth is the truth.

Anyway:

ida.wr.usgs.gov...
www.msss.com...
ida.wr.usgs.gov...

Explainable? Most likely, yes, as a natural formation.
Anomaly? Don't know.
Odd? Yes, IMHO

And about straight lines and 90° angles:

www.msss.com...
www.msss.com...
www.msss.com...
www.msss.com...

www.msss.com...
www.msss.com...
www.msss.com...

[edit on 14/11/2007 by internos]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Super pics internos! Starred! Especially that image of those straight lines at 90 deg angles! Natural? Or a burried city? Your guess is as good as mine!

And yes, those images could be nothing but compression artifacts as you mentioned. But the area you marked in red does have some strange shapes including the 'temple' steps which can be discerned somewhat in the low res pic.

Also check out the strange shapes toward the top of the square and slightly above it. Here's the enlargement of that area....

And now check out these pics from Mars Express. It shows the Reull Vallis channel, formed by the flow of water. North is at the top.

Photo Courtesy: ESA

Cheers!

[edit on 14-11-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

OK, I think I understand what the problem is, correct if I am wrong.

The ESA mission is called Mars Express, and the images from ESA are all taken by the HRSC.

But there is a different mission, from NASA, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, that uses a different camera for its High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE).

The higher resolution (25cm/pixel) photos I posted are from this mission, not from the ESA mission.

[edit on 14/11/2007 by ArMaP]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Bingo! The Mars Express orbiter surface/subsurface instruments/scientific payload comprises:

> HRSC (High Resolution Stereo Camera)
> OMEGA (Visible and Infrared Mineralogical Mapping Spectrometer)
> MARSIS (Sub-surface Sounding Radar Altimeter)

Cheers!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join